• 81(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
(2017-05-08, 22:09)SkylineEX-S Wrote:
(2017-04-24, 14:39)SkylineEX-S Wrote:
(2017-04-21, 12:30)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: What is the disadvantage of using the DVI output for audio pass-thru only? Just buy one of those Asrock ITX boards and use the DVI out for audio. Cannot understand why is it so much focus on the HDMI output and audio pass-thru when there is very simple solution by using the DVI for audio only instead. Use the HDMI for video and DVI for audio, works like a charm for all formats ...

Is this even possible?
This is exactly what I was looking for in a HTPC. Something like the dual outputs from a stand alone player. One for video at HDMI 2.0b and one for audio at HDMI 1.4 with no video or video downconverted to 1080 or 720.

How would KODI handle this?

The reason for this is my projector is 4K HDMI 2.0b HDR capable but my processor is only HDMI 1.4 at 1080P max.

I've been reading this board as a long time lurker and this is my first post Big Grin

(2017-04-24, 15:07)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: It's fully possible on Asrock J4205-ITX, this is what i use and others have reported of same working setup as well. My receiver has only HDMI 1.4 and i use the DVI to HDMI output to the receiver for audio. HDMI 2.0 is directly connected to the TV. I have not seen any sync or other issues but i don't use the receiver often ...
Try to search thru this tread some months ago, i think my first report is from late December ...

I know this is a very simple question but something I'm still wondering about...

For example:
Can a PC (with Kabby lake hardware) output 4K HDR out of one HDMI output and also output a downscaled 1080p or lower HDMI audio output through another HDMI output.
Basically the 2 separate outputs that a standalone 4K player has. The second question related to the first is can Kodi be used as the player to support these dual outputs?

I have output 4k directly to my television, and hdmi 1.3 DTS-HD directly to my receiver at the same time.. IN WINDOWS.

It worked, but i had sync and popping issues. I just bought a new receiver, you can get a cheap one with 4k passthrough these days.
(2017-05-08, 22:42)honcho Wrote:
(2017-05-08, 22:09)SkylineEX-S Wrote:
(2017-04-24, 14:39)SkylineEX-S Wrote: Is this even possible?
This is exactly what I was looking for in a HTPC. Something like the dual outputs from a stand alone player. One for video at HDMI 2.0b and one for audio at HDMI 1.4 with no video or video downconverted to 1080 or 720.

How would KODI handle this?

The reason for this is my projector is 4K HDMI 2.0b HDR capable but my processor is only HDMI 1.4 at 1080P max.

I've been reading this board as a long time lurker and this is my first post Big Grin

(2017-04-24, 15:07)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: It's fully possible on Asrock J4205-ITX, this is what i use and others have reported of same working setup as well. My receiver has only HDMI 1.4 and i use the DVI to HDMI output to the receiver for audio. HDMI 2.0 is directly connected to the TV. I have not seen any sync or other issues but i don't use the receiver often ...
Try to search thru this tread some months ago, i think my first report is from late December ...

I know this is a very simple question but something I'm still wondering about...

For example:
Can a PC (with Kabby lake hardware) output 4K HDR out of one HDMI output and also output a downscaled 1080p or lower HDMI audio output through another HDMI output.
Basically the 2 separate outputs that a standalone 4K player has. The second question related to the first is can Kodi be used as the player to support these dual outputs?

I have output 4k directly to my television, and hdmi 1.3 DTS-HD directly to my receiver at the same time.. IN WINDOWS.

It worked, but i had sync and popping issues. I just bought a new receiver, you can get a cheap one with 4k passthrough these days.

I have this setup with my Samsung JS8500 for 4k and a Pioneer receiver using HDMI 1.4 for audio, I have no sync issues either.
I'm considering buying the ASRock J4205-ITX motherboard. Currently having an ASRock N3150-ITX where Intel only recently issued an updated Windows driver that enabled HD Audio pass through I've been keeping an eye on the issues with HD Audio pass-through for the Apollo Lake chips. I noticed this evening that ASRock released a new BIOS yesterday - version 1.30. I'm guessing that this might incorporate the updates in the v1.66 firmware released recently by Intel? Has anyone managed to flash the new ASRock BIOS to see if it's fixed the problems?

Various links:
J4205-ITX BIOS - http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J4205-ITX...ad&os=BIOS
NUC updates (blog post) - http://nucblog.net/2017/03/intel-release...kaby-lake/
NUC updates (Intel community) - https://communities.intel.com/message/463750#463750
Thanks @bigbrobrody . Also available the same version for J3455-itx. I will try it latter, but I don`t have HD receiver to test if that problem is fixed.
Thank you both for letting us know about the BIOS updates. Although I don't use HD Audio I will give it a try soon.
I can confirm that HD audio does NOT work with libreelec on Asrock J3455-ITX DP>HDMI and new 1.30 Bios
There is a new 1.30 bios for J4205-ITX, too: Improve system compatibility
(2017-05-08, 22:09)SkylineEX-S Wrote: For example:

Working fine for me both in Windows 10 and in LibreElec. Primary screen is HDMI 2.0 towards 4k Sony TV. Secondary screen (essentially 1080p blank screen) is HDMI 1.4 (via DVI to HDMI cable) connected to old Onkyo AV receiver. Kodi let you choose audio device in it's preferences so you simply choose the AV receiver hooked on the HDMI 1.4 and it works just fine, no sync issues, no popping, no problems whatsoever.
(2017-05-11, 13:44)oo.viper.oo Wrote:

Working fine for me both in Windows 10 and in LibreElec. Primary screen is HDMI 2.0 towards 4k Sony TV. Secondary screen (essentially 1080p blank screen) is HDMI 1.4 (via DVI to HDMI cable) connected to old Onkyo AV receiver. Kodi let you choose audio device in it's preferences so you simply choose the AV receiver hooked on the HDMI 1.4 and it works just fine, no sync issues, no popping, no problems whatsoever.

What are your PC specs? Integrated graphics or video card?
(2017-05-10, 20:09)czombos Wrote: I can confirm that HD audio does NOT work with libreelec on Asrock J3455-ITX DP>HDMI and new 1.30 Bios

Bricked my board using the win update file ..hopefully it's just mine .

Sent from my iPad
(2017-05-11, 18:03)SkylineEX-S Wrote:
(2017-05-11, 13:44)oo.viper.oo Wrote:

What are your PC specs? Integrated graphics or video card?

All-integrated ASRock J4205-ITX
(2017-05-12, 01:50)jambam Wrote:
(2017-05-10, 20:09)czombos Wrote: I can confirm that HD audio does NOT work with libreelec on Asrock J3455-ITX DP>HDMI and new 1.30 Bios

Sent from my iPad (typie typie)

Has anyone else encountered similar problems?? I was about to go for the Instant Flash version and wouldn't expect something like this ...
@kekomat - no problems here, used the bios internet download function inside the bios, used for 1.20 and 1.20D, works fine.

In my case if I change the bios I do have to remove one stick of ram, then go to the bios and change the ram speed back to 1600 (from 1866) add the extra stick of RAM back in.

Until I do this my machine will not start up and I do not get any display because of a RAM incompatibility at 1866 with 2 sticks of RAM.
(2017-05-12, 12:18)kekomat Wrote:
(2017-05-12, 01:50)jambam Wrote:

Sent from my iPad (typie typie)

Has anyone else encountered similar problems?? I was about to go for the Instant Flash version and wouldn't expect something like this ...

I believe someone posted a similar problem it was in German .. I suppose the instant flash method is safer as others have said as I did mine in windows .

If anyone else had the problem and found a diy solution pls share ..returning the board is not an option for me as I bought from a store in Hongkong while I was on holiday.

Sent from my iPad
From the Asrock website 'Please update to the latest BIOS with Instant Flash or Internet Flash in the UEFI setup if you are using Windows 10.'

They say not to use the windows bios update option, not sure why they even give the file when Windows 10 is the only Windows version supported.
  • 81(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9