• 83(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
Yes I am definitely on hdmi 1
Hello together,

I have a question reg. the Apollo Lake boards and their capabilities by using Libreelec. Currently I'm using two Wetek Hubs and it is really nice that they play everything video wise whatever I throw at them, but the GUI feels simply not that responsive as it felt on my two Cromeboxes before, but the Hubs were the only option for Kodi under Libreelec that time that can play all codecs up to 4k I use.
Now that Apollo Lake with the HDMI 2.0 chip onboard is there, I'm thinkng of uprading my setup.

So I wanted to know what is working so far in Libreelec and do I need a special Libreelec Image for getting it running on the Apollo Lake boards?
I don't need HD Audio multichannel bitstreaming in any form, I just need the audio beeing decoded to stereo on my TVs.

If I could get some quick advice from the you guys having those boards here it would really be great Smile

Thanks a lot for your support here Smile

Regards
Vlaves

PS the TVs are only 1080p TVs for now and even if I upgrade them later I don't think I will go for an HDR TV, only 8bit 4k. Of course those would then be HDR compatibe, but still would put out 8bit. I don't see now enough content for making that investment.
(2017-05-14, 16:25)fritsch Wrote: The known problem is:

DTS-HD, TrueHD passthrough.

Sound in general works perfectly fine.

Shame on me - I had to change the output device from pulseaudio to hdmi

Special Thanks to Fritsch
Just received the ASRock J4205 and I'm curious if any one has been able to run Win 8.1 on these boards or are the device drivers just not available?

Thanks
(2017-05-15, 23:13)insomniac125 Wrote: Just received the ASRock J4205 and I'm curious if any one has been able to run Win 8.1 on these boards or are the device drivers just not available?

Thanks

Don't know about 8.1, I was able to run Windows 7 on this board - to be able to use Win 7 license for this device and upgrade it for free to Win 10. But it was definitely fiddly to get the Win 7 there, because of no Apollo Lake USB driver for Win 7. I had to use another box to copy the Win 7 installation media directly to SATA hard drive and then mount that hard drive to ASRock J4205, launch the installation from it. I don't know what everything was working in Win 7, I didn't check, because the sole purpose was to upgrade to Win 10. I don't recall details, but network was most likely working, because I was able to achieve the goal Big Grin.
Is the 1.66 update only for the mini computers like NUC or also for the 4205 and 3455 board?! It really sucks that HDMI 2.0 and audio bitstream is not working, how can Intel release such buggy hardware?!

PS: Is there a possible schedule for hdr decoding (not output, just decoding in the first step)?!

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk
(2017-05-16, 07:22)oo.viper.oo Wrote:
(2017-05-15, 23:13)insomniac125 Wrote: Just received the ASRock J4205 and I'm curious if any one has been able to run Win 8.1 on these boards or are the device drivers just not available?

Thanks

Don't know about 8.1, I was able to run Windows 7 on this board - to be able to use Win 7 license for this device and upgrade it for free to Win 10. But it was definitely fiddly to get the Win 7 there, because of no Apollo Lake USB driver for Win 7. I had to use another box to copy the Win 7 installation media directly to SATA hard drive and then mount that hard drive to ASRock J4205, launch the installation from it. I don't know what everything was working in Win 7, I didn't check, because the sole purpose was to upgrade to Win 10. I don't recall details, but network was most likely working, because I was able to achieve the goal Big Grin.

For future reference you can actually use the Win7 product key for Win 10, so no need to install Win7 first.
Sorry, I feel like I keep asking stupid questions that I should just be able to figure out, but here is another one.

1- ASRock J-4205 with Windows 10
2- Using Optical(spdif) to AVR for 5.1 audio (no HDMI in/out on AVR)
3- HDMI out to 1080p TV

How do I get simultaneous audio from both the Optical and the HDMI? I can only have one or the other at this point.

I have tried the tricks discussed online for enabling Stereo Mix device in the Recording devices control panel with no success. All of these tips seem to only speak of using speakers and HDMI audio simultaneously and none discuss Optical. Not sure if that is the issue.

Does anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks!
(2017-05-17, 05:15)insomniac125 Wrote: Sorry, I feel like I keep asking stupid questions that I should just be able to figure out, but here is another one.

3- HDMI out to 1080p TV

How do I get simultaneous audio from both the Optical and the HDMI? I can only have one or the other at this point.

I have tried the tricks discussed online for enabling Stereo Mix device in the Recording devices control panel with no success. All of these tips seem to only speak of using speakers and HDMI audio simultaneously and none discuss Optical. Not sure if that is the issue.

Thanks!

You don't. There's no such thing as a stupid question. In 2017 however, there is this thing called google.
(2017-05-17, 16:10)honcho Wrote:
(2017-05-17, 05:15)insomniac125 Wrote: Sorry, I feel like I keep asking stupid questions that I should just be able to figure out, but here is another one.

3- HDMI out to 1080p TV

Thanks!

You don't. There's no such thing as a stupid question. In 2017 however, there is this thing called google.

Please don't be rude and unhelpful. I have searched Google and this forum without finding a solution on MY particular MB. If you read my post thoroughly you will see that I have tried some of the tricks discussed online however I can not find a discussion that pertains to my situation. How do you think I found those tricks without doing a Google search?

I know there are other MB's that can do this but this board is fairly new and this is the best forum for people using this MB for my same or similar use.
(2017-05-17, 19:03)insomniac125 Wrote:
(2017-05-17, 16:10)honcho Wrote:

3- HDMI out to 1080p TV

Thanks!

Please don't be rude and unhelpful. I have searched Google and this forum without finding a solution on MY particular MB. If you read my post thoroughly you will see that I have tried some of the tricks discussed online however I can not find a discussion that pertains to my situation. How do you think I found those tricks without doing a Google search?

I know there are other MB's that can do this but this board is fairly new and this is the best forum for people using this MB for my same or similar use.

Do you have optical out from your TV? That would give you sound on both with risk for delay/sync issues, otherwise there is no easy solution.
Why do you want/need sound output simultaneously to both units?
In Kodi you can choose one output for stereo and the other for passthrough so that would give you DD&DTS thru optical but still no sound on the TV simultaneously.
(2017-05-18, 08:24)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: Do you have optical out from your TV? That would give you sound on both with risk for delay/sync issues, otherwise there is no easy solution.
In Kodi you can choose one output for stereo and the other for passthrough so that would give you DD&DTS thru optical but still no sound on the TV simultaneously.

@Dr.Feelgood - I appreciate your helpful reply. I do have optical out from my TV, however just like many other TV's, it only outputs 2 channels.

My TV is up on the wall about 18 inches above my center channel speaker. If I only play movies/tv shows via my AVR, you can easily tell that the sound(mainly voices) comes from below the TV and not from the general area of the people on the screen. So I always use the TV speakers to help fill in the gap. All my other devices(PS3, Sat. Rcvr, etc.) play through optical and HDMI simultaneously without issue.

In addition to that, I mostly only use the TV sound when viewing and like to be able to simply turn on my AVR when I want 5.1 sound without the need to go in and change various OS and Kodi settings to switch to 5.1 audio. Kind of inconvenient in comparison to the rest of my devices.
(2017-05-18, 17:49)insomniac125 Wrote:
(2017-05-18, 08:24)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: Do you have optical out from your TV? That would give you sound on both with risk for delay/sync issues, otherwise there is no easy solution.

@Dr.Feelgood - I appreciate your helpful reply. I do have optical out from my TV, however just like many other TV's, it only outputs 2 channels.

My TV is up on the wall about 18 inches above my center channel speaker. If I only play movies/tv shows via my AVR, you can easily tell that the sound(mainly voices) comes from below the TV and not from the general area of the people on the screen. So I always use the TV speakers to help fill in the gap. All my other devices(PS3, Sat. Rcvr, etc.) play through optical and HDMI simultaneously without issue.

In addition to that, I mostly only use the TV sound when viewing and like to be able to simply turn on my AVR when I want 5.1 sound without the need to go in and change various OS and Kodi settings to switch to 5.1 audio. Kind of inconvenient in comparison to the rest of my devices.

Using two audio outputs simultaneously is possible with pulseaudio under linux, so you should be able to get it to work with libreelec or by using another linux distribution. Pulseaudio can also do passthrough, never done it myself but with a little bit of configuration you could definitely get it working in linux. No idea about under windows.
(2017-05-17, 05:15)insomniac125 Wrote: 1- ASRock J-4205 with Windows 10
3- HDMI out to 1080p TV

It's operating system (of your choice) specific issue. You want convince Windows 10 to send audio to multiple audio devices at the same time. It is not Apollo Lake-specific problem, hence wrong thread.

And btw parallel audio playback to multiple audio devices at the same time is far from trivial because of potential problems with clock jitter. This and the fact that it's very specific use case can be the reason why consumer Windows do not have this feature built-in.
Can't you just use one of those audio extractor boxes for an HDMI connection. HDMI > Box then HDMI > TV and Optical > AVR?
  • 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9