Multiple file formats of same artists
Is there a way to scan or only display artists in a particular format? I have flac and mp3 files of the same songs and get stuck with duplicate songs displayed in Kodi. Is there a way to hide a particular version? Thanks.
Haha I have the same thing but never really looked into it, I would be interested in a workround

Gonna have a look around if I find a solution will post back
Easy way to do it is move all the mp3 or flac to another folder and just have kodi scan whichever folder you prefer
(2017-05-19, 18:37)promark Wrote: Easy way to do it is move all the mp3 or flac to another folder and just have kodi scan whichever folder you prefer
Really? That sucks. I have so much music this would take hours. Oh well.
That was just off the top of my head, but haven't found any other way of doing it, unless anyone knows better
(2017-05-19, 20:01)promark Wrote: That was just off the top of my head, but haven't found any other way of doing it, unless anyone knows better
Right on.
Not sure if the excludefromscan advanced setting will work for this, see http://kodi.wiki/view/advancedsettings.x...defromscan
(2017-05-20, 02:16)jjd-uk Wrote: Not sure if the excludefromscan advanced setting will work for this, see http://kodi.wiki/view/advancedsettings.x...defromscan
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I guess music was never a big focus of Kodi?
Create a node with an extension path rule?
(2017-05-19, 17:28)ruckstande Wrote: Is there a way to scan or only display artists in a particular format? I have flac and mp3 files of the same songs and get stuck with duplicate songs displayed in Kodi. Is there a way to hide a particular version? Thanks.

Solutions to having both mp3 and FLAC versions of songs in the music library:

(2017-05-19, 18:37)promark Wrote: Easy way to do it is move all the mp3 or flac to another folder and just have kodi scan whichever folder you prefer
That is a good way to manage this. Moving files is not so difficult either. Take a copy of the entire structure with the mixed files in, then delete *.FLAC from one, and *.mp3 from the other

(2017-05-22, 13:25)docwra Wrote: Create a node with an extension path rule?
Yeap, that is a solution too.

(2017-05-20, 05:00)ruckstande Wrote: ..I guess music was never a big focus of Kodi?
Music playback is my main Kodi use. Improving the music library has been my focus for the last 2 years (almost), and it does some things better than video (which is assumed to have recevied more attention in the past than music, but it is not so clear because other people have worked on music before me). And the player is great with many media formats.
(2017-05-22, 15:42)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2017-05-19, 17:28)ruckstande Wrote: Is there a way to scan or only display artists in a particular format? I have flac and mp3 files of the same songs and get stuck with duplicate songs displayed in Kodi. Is there a way to hide a particular version? Thanks.

Solutions to having both mp3 and FLAC versions of songs in the music library:

That is a good way to manage this. Moving files is not so difficult either. Take a copy of the entire structure with the mixed files in, then delete *.FLAC from one, and *.mp3 from the other

(2017-05-22, 13:25)docwra Wrote: Create a node with an extension path rule?
Yeap, that is a solution too.

(2017-05-20, 05:00)ruckstande Wrote: ..I guess music was never a big focus of Kodi?
Music playback is my main Kodi use. Improving the music library has been my focus for the last 2 years (almost), and it does some things better than video (which is assumed to have recevied more attention in the past than music, but it is not so clear because other people have worked on music before me). And the player is great with many media formats.
It just doesn't come off very user friendly for music management. I use Media Monkey on pc which is extremely powerful yet easy to work with. I typically wouldn't have to do things outside of the application before bringing them into the program.
(2017-05-23, 22:41)ruckstande Wrote: It just doesn't come off very user friendly for music management. I use Media Monkey on pc which is extremely powerful yet easy to work with. I typically wouldn't have to do things outside of the application before bringing them into the program.
No problem. On Windows use Media Monkey or Foobar or whatever, if it does what you want. To turn a £30 RPi into an amazing media player, then IMO Kodi is unbeatable. Wnat something that runs on every thing (well almost) , and is free, then again that's Kodi.

Could the music library be even better, sure yes. I'm working on it.

I am the only dev with a real interest in the library at the moment, and the lack of others with detailed knowledge of that part of the design could lead to the impression it was "never a big focus". I just wanted to say that having looked at what has been implemented for both music and video libraries, I can't really see in what way music was left out. Music use of Kodi is only secondary if we talk about it and treat it that way.
Music management in Kodi is pretty good, but there's always room for improvement - that's true.

You could simply create a custom node to only list only mp3, or only flac files IF you know which option is preferred, but it seems like you might have a mix of mp3 and flac, and sometimes both for the same song - in that case, Kodi's going to struggle a little, so you have to help it a little.

Again, you could help Kodi by using this structure:

My Music\
My Music\Abba\
My Music\Abba\Best Of\01 - Money, Money, Money.mp3
My Music\Abba\Best Of\02 - Waterloo.mp3

My Music\Abba\Best Of (flac)\01 - Money, Money, Money.flac
My Music\Abba\Best Of (flac)\02 - Waterloo.flac

Using this structure, you could create a custom node that ignores any item with a path that includes '(flac)'.

You can 'mark' such a folder with any consistent naming format you choose.

If you don't want to create a custom node, you could use the 'ExcludeFromScan' option in advancedsettings.xml (http://kodi.wiki/view/advancedsettings.x...defromscan) so that any folder marked as '(flac)' would never be scanned in the first place.
(2017-05-23, 23:36)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2017-05-23, 22:41)ruckstande Wrote: It just doesn't come off very user friendly for music management. I use Media Monkey on pc which is extremely powerful yet easy to work with. I typically wouldn't have to do things outside of the application before bringing them into the program.
No problem. On Windows use Media Monkey or Foobar or whatever, if it does what you want. To turn a £30 RPi into an amazing media player, then IMO Kodi is unbeatable. Wnat something that runs on every thing (well almost) , and is free, then again that's Kodi.

Could the music library be even better, sure yes. I'm working on it.

I am the only dev with a real interest in the library at the moment, and the lack of others with detailed knowledge of that part of the design could lead to the impression it was "never a big focus". I just wanted to say that having looked at what has been implemented for both music and video libraries, I can't really see in what way music was left out. Music use of Kodi is only secondary if we talk about it and treat it that way.

Completely agree - I think it's mostly a case of us discovering there are complicated aspects of music library management that deviate from the simple Artist - Album - Track structure (i.e. Singles, EP's. Box Sets etc). The same is true of Music Videos which totally lies between music and video and reveals a less well thought out aspect of Kodi (as it does with plenty of other systems too).

Precisely the same situation existed with Box Sets for video etc. Finally it was solved, and the same will happen with music issues too (I believe).

With only one developer (you) and a thousand opinions on how things should work - it's always going to take time!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple file formats of same artists0