17.3; Problem scanning music into library from UPnP share?
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm running 17.3 on a Windows (8.1) computer and an Android (6.0.1) box
My Music collection resides on the Windows box and is shared via UPnP
I can access the Music files from the Android box, scroll through all the folders, create a play list, play files, etc

However, the Android box cannot scan the music source into the library. It starts to, shows 0% progress for about 60 to 90 seconds, and then just quits trying.

I was able to successfully scan the library into the copy of Kodi running on the Windows box. While my tags are less-than-ideal, there is at least *something* there in most of the files. Stuff shows up in my Library on the Windows machine, so there's at least *some* data.

I don't know if this is a network speed/timeout issue, a setting issue somewhere, or some other thing I've got wrong that I'm not thinking of.

Anyone have any ideas?
You can't load upnp shares into the library. Upnp is supposed to provide the metadata. If you prefer the library, share via smb.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
What is acting as your UPnP server? is it Kodi install on the Windows box? if so and since the music is already scanned on the Windows box then all you need to do is share the already existing Library on the windows box with the Android box, so there's no need to do any additional scanning, see http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_UPnP Note - with v17 some of those gui locations in the wiki have changed location. The advantage of using UPnP in this manner is that you only have to update the Library on the box that acts as the UPnP server (in your case the Windows box) so any connected UPnP Kodi client will automatically reflect any changes, however UPnP will limit what you can do on the clients (Android box).

For the most flexibility in displaying your media it's better for each client to have it own Library or a shared one via MySQL, for this you need to create a file share on the Windows box using SMB (samba), see http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows
(2017-06-01, 08:17)nickr Wrote: You can't load upnp shares into the library. Upnp is supposed to provide the metadata. If you prefer the library, share via smb.

Well, that explains it, thanks

(2017-06-01, 14:14)jjd-uk Wrote: What is acting as your UPnP server?
. . .
For the most flexibility is displaying your media it's better for each client to have it own Library or a shared one via MySQL, for this you need to create a file share on the Windows box using SMB (samba), see http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows

I had used the built-in Windows implementation of UPnP to share it. Clearly I'll be better off using SMB. Thanks for the tips

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
17.3; Problem scanning music into library from UPnP share?0