• 87(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
I got a problem with my Intel NUC6CAYH (based on Apollo Lake, Intel® Celeron® CPU J3455). Whenever I try to run LibreElec (doesn't matter which build, I tried release-8.0.2, Milhouse daily dev, Kodi/Agile Leia) everything seems to work smooth EXCEPT LiveTV.

For LiveTV I use TVHeadend (tried DVBViewer too, same result) and when I enable VAAPI (hardware-decoding) it looks like the video is playing in slow-motion or something, audio is completely out of sync and every now and then audio skips. When I switch off VAAPI it works fine, but obviously I didn't go Apollo Lake to disable hardware-decoding Smile

I'm beginning to think the hardware-decoder of Apollo Lake can't somehow handle the Live-TV stream. My LiveTV streams are both MPEG2 (SD) and MPEG4 (HD) and they both suffer the same problem. They are all 50 fps (I'm from Netherlands, so 50 fps rather than the 60 Hz. from NTSC). I've tried framerate syncing to display turned on/off, tried all settings I know off (e.g. audio pass-through on/off) and I can't get it to work with LiveTV except when I turn off VAAPI, then it is immediately all good.

I wonder, anybody else experiencing this or knows how to fix this?
(2017-06-02, 17:33)lejose Wrote: I got a problem with my Intel NUC6CAYH (based on Apollo Lake, Intel® Celeron® CPU J3455). Whenever I try to run LibreElec (doesn't matter which build, I tried release-8.0.2, Milhouse daily dev, Kodi/Agile Leia) everything seems to work smooth EXCEPT LiveTV.

For LiveTV I use TVHeadend (tried DVBViewer too, same result) and when I enable VAAPI (hardware-decoding) it looks like the video is playing in slow-motion or something, audio is completely out of sync and every now and then audio skips. When I switch off VAAPI it works fine, but obviously I didn't go Apollo Lake to disable hardware-decoding Smile

I'm beginning to think the hardware-decoder of Apollo Lake can't somehow handle the Live-TV stream. My LiveTV streams are both MPEG2 (SD) and MPEG4 (HD) and they both suffer the same problem. They are all 50 fps (I'm from Netherlands, so 50 fps rather than the 60 Hz. from NTSC). I've tried framerate syncing to display turned on/off, tried all settings I know off (e.g. audio pass-through on/off) and I can't get it to work with LiveTV except when I turn off VAAPI, then it is immediately all good.

Personally I don't believe that neither the Apollo Lake CPU/GPU nor that LibreELEC is the issue. Iam using a J4205 which has very similar capabilities and decoding of in my case german DVB-T2 (HEVC) streams runs smooth as butter. Have you tried changing your TV-card/stick? I assume that the TV card/stick could cause the issue.
(2017-06-02, 19:35)b4cksl4sh Wrote: Personally I don't believe that neither the Apollo Lake CPU/GPU nor that LibreELEC is the issue. Iam using a J4205 which has very similar capabilities and decoding of in my case german DVB-T2 (HEVC) streams runs smooth as butter. Have you tried changing your TV-card/stick? I assume that the TV card/stick could cause the issue.

I got a HD-Homerun (network quad tuner) and on my other NUC (old one, like 3-4 years old) I got 0 problems. It is merely on my new NUC I got problems. I've tried updating TvHeadend, and as I said there is not a problem without VAAPI.

I think MPEG2/MPEG4 is different compared to HEVC/H265 streams from DVB-T2 tho..

edit: Is there an option to only disable VAAPI for Live-TV but use it for other media? If I recall correctly that used to be possible in like XBMC 13 (years ago) - but I couldn't find it anymore
(2017-06-02, 19:35)b4cksl4sh Wrote:
(2017-06-02, 17:33)lejose Wrote: I got a problem with my Intel NUC6CAYH (based on Apollo Lake, Intel® Celeron® CPU J3455). Whenever I try to run LibreElec (doesn't matter which build, I tried release-8.0.2, Milhouse daily dev, Kodi/Agile Leia) everything seems to work smooth EXCEPT LiveTV.

Personally I don't believe that neither the Apollo Lake CPU/GPU nor that LibreELEC is the issue. Iam using a J4205 which has very similar capabilities and decoding of in my case german DVB-T2 (HEVC) streams runs smooth as butter. Have you tried changing your TV-card/stick? I assume that the TV card/stick could cause the issue.

Works fine for me with VDR since ages. 1080i50 smooth as hell, including all HEVC dumps that I test through VNSI. Rather sounds like a beta backend or something.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-06-02, 20:38)lejose Wrote:
(2017-06-02, 19:35)b4cksl4sh Wrote: Personally I don't believe that neither the Apollo Lake CPU/GPU nor that LibreELEC is the issue. Iam using a J4205 which has very similar capabilities and decoding of in my case german DVB-T2 (HEVC) streams runs smooth as butter. Have you tried changing your TV-card/stick? I assume that the TV card/stick could cause the issue.

I got a HD-Homerun (network quad tuner) and on my other NUC (old one, like 3-4 years old) I got 0 problems. It is merely on my new NUC I got problems. I've tried updating TvHeadend, and as I said there is not a problem without VAAPI.

I think MPEG2/MPEG4 is different compared to HEVC/H265 streams from DVB-T2 tho..

edit: Is there an option to only disable VAAPI for Live-TV but use it for other media? If I recall correctly that used to be possible in like XBMC 13 (years ago) - but I couldn't find it anymore

No - there is no such option. Please replace tvheadend and try with e.g. VDR + vnsi.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-06-02, 22:32)fritsch Wrote: Works fine for me with VDR since ages. 1080i50 smooth as hell, including all HEVC dumps that I test through VNSI. Rather sounds like a beta backend or something.

No - there is no such option. Please replace tvheadend and try with e.g. VDR + vnsi.

Unfortunately VDR does not support the HDHomerun (networked tuner) and while there used to be a script (dvbhdhomerun) available this doesn't seem to work with LibreElec anymore (old addon relies on older kernel iirc).

Despite all that I find it very hard to belief the problem needs to be fixed in TvHeadend back-end:

* LibreElec 8.0.2 with HTS Tvheadend 4.2.2-32 = Fine LiveTV
* Milhouse builds either connecting to the included older TvHeadend 4.1 or to the TvHeadend 4.2.2-32 on different PC = Problems
* Milhouse builds using DVBViewer connection = Problems
* Milhouse builds turning off hardware-acceleration (VAAPI) ===> No problems

Perhaps my provider (Netherlands, Ziggo) does something different with the DVB-C signal compared to yours ? I know Ziggo uses VBR and MP4 for HD and MPEG2 for SD.

I also notice that on LibreElec 8.0.2 despite it saying ff-h264-vaapi (HW) the CPU use is actually quite high (4 cores, generally 3 on 30% and 1 on 70-80% use) compared to turning off VAAPI (ff-h264 (SW) roughly 4x 40-50% cpu) so perhaps my stream isn't compatible with VAAPI but I don't notice that on 8.0.2 because despite it saying it uses VAAPI it is actually doing a lot with the CPU ? Just shooting out stuff here btw Smile

(edit: If you like, I could open up my TvHeadend-server to a developer so you can add it to your system to see what is going on)
(2017-06-03, 07:58)lejose Wrote:
(2017-06-02, 22:32)fritsch Wrote: Works fine for me with VDR since ages. 1080i50 smooth as hell, including all HEVC dumps that I test through VNSI. Rather sounds like a beta backend or something.

Unfortunately VDR does not support the HDHomerun (networked tuner) and while there used to be a script (dvbhdhomerun) available this doesn't seem to work with LibreElec anymore (old addon relies on older kernel iirc).

Despite all that I find it very hard to belief the problem needs to be fixed in TvHeadend back-end:

* LibreElec 8.0.2 with HTS Tvheadend 4.2.2-32 = Fine LiveTV
* Milhouse builds either connecting to the included older TvHeadend 4.1 or to the TvHeadend 4.2.2-32 on different PC = Problems
* Milhouse builds using DVBViewer connection = Problems
* Milhouse builds turning off hardware-acceleration (VAAPI) ===> No problems

Perhaps my provider (Netherlands, Ziggo) does something different with the DVB-C signal compared to yours ? I know Ziggo uses VBR and MP4 for HD and MPEG2 for SD.

I also notice that on LibreElec 8.0.2 despite it saying ff-h264-vaapi (HW) the CPU use is actually quite high (4 cores, generally 3 on 30% and 1 on 70-80% use) compared to turning off VAAPI (ff-h264 (SW) roughly 4x 40-50% cpu) so perhaps my stream isn't compatible with VAAPI but I don't notice that on 8.0.2 because despite it saying it uses VAAPI it is actually doing a lot with the CPU ? Just shooting out stuff here btw Smile

(edit: If you like, I could open up my TvHeadend-server to a developer so you can add it to your system to see what is going on)

I'm running HTS Tvheadend 4.3-137~g80c1fe1 backend with DVB-S2 card DD Cine S2 V6, playback on 4205ITX wiht LE8.02 and all smooth playback on all 1080p50 channels 24/7
It has to be some config problem with your setup, it's neither TVH or Apollo Lake issue ...
Try recording and playing recorded video to see if there is any difference.
I found solution: I did a factory-reset including wiping all of /storage on the dev-build to make sure no old addons where interfering. Then I connected to my old TvHeadend server and it worked fine.

I'm guessing it was caused by an old TvHeadend frontend plugin, but atleast with a clean install it worked fine, thanks for the pointers and tips guys !
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa...dows-15-45-

https://communities.intel.com/thread/115054

Intel released new 21.20.16.4678 driver for Apollo Lake.
Just picked up a NUC6CAYH, previously using a NUC5PPYH without any issues.

Have the latest BIOS and 1.6.6 HDMI firmware and I'm only using 1080p. LibreElec 8.0.2 and I do not use any audio passthrough.

My issue is every time I turn off the TV I no longer get audio through HDMI (when I power the TV back on obviously). I need to reboot the NUC to get audio back. If I look in Kodi Audio Settings after a reboot, it shows the device as Intel audio on DisplayPort#0. After a toggle to the TV power, this changes and it shows up as Intel audio on HDMI#0.

Anyone have an idea of how to fix this before my wife kills me?
Overwrite your edid information, LibreELEC wiki has a howto on how to do that. This will fake an always on TV.
(2017-06-04, 19:56)fritsch Wrote: Overwrite your edid information, LibreELEC wiki has a howto on how to do that. This will fake an always on TV.

Worked perfect, thanks a lot.
What do you guys think abou this box

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholes...L100-Vbox/
It is a normal Apollo Lake system in a small case.... nothing unnormal Smile
Living Room: ASRock J3455 , 8GB RAM, Sandisk SSD 120GB, LibreELEC Testbuild,- Pioneer VSX-930 - Sony KD-65XD7505
Test HDR Setup: Bqeel M9Cmax (S905X 2GB RAM, 16G Flash) LibreElec HDR 10Bit Build Test6 from johngalt
R.I.P. DAD: 17.06.1952 - 21.01.2017
Take care what "HDMI" means in that offer. It's not clear if it is a HDMI 1.4 or the usual HDMI2.0 via the DP bridge.
  • 87(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9