• 254(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
Thanks both. I only have an old Dolby 5.1 set up so the hd audio is not an issue. I love my pi3, and as an all rounder it can't be beaten, but I've always had this feeling that the 3d picture isn't quite as vibrant as it might be and that some pop outs lack crispness. I might well give it a go!
will there be a new version with kodi 17.3?
(2017-05-30, 09:59)Bennie1358 Wrote: will there be a new version with kodi 17.3?

This is why I think this would have worked better as an addon.
(2017-05-30, 09:59)Bennie1358 Wrote: will there be a new version with kodi 17.3?
A new version of what?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-05, 15:33)T800 Wrote:

"this" meaning?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-06, 06:47)nickr Wrote:
(2017-06-05, 15:33)T800 Wrote:

"this" meaning?

Sorry, wrong thread.
So what are the options for a box that can do 4K, HDR, 3D Frame Packing, HD audio passthrough, HDMI CEC and 23.976 Hz?
Apollo Lake and Kaby Lake both fail some of the above.
Intel NUC6CAYH + afedchin's Kodi Windows MVC + LG OLED 55E6
(2017-07-11, 21:06)Korrigan Wrote: So what are the options for a box that can do 4K, HDR, 3D Frame Packing, HD audio passthrough, HDMI CEC and 23.976 Hz?

Theoretically Zidoo X8/X9S. I have an X8 which I pretty much use only for 3D MVC - it works fine for that. It outputs 23.976 correctly. From reading the forums, some people have problems with 4K and certain audio output. It only works with their custom Kodi build. Generally, the software is glitchy. Firmware updates are fairly frequent, but seem to cause as many new problems as they fix old ones. I wouldn't recommend as a "does everything" box.

A good option in the near future may be the Vero 4K which I know does everything else right... and 3D MVC support has been promised soon:

https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/playback-of-...-iso/37125

I've already ordered one on Sam's word & reputation.
(2017-07-11, 21:06)Korrigan Wrote: So what are the options for a box that can do 4K, HDR, 3D Frame Packing, HD audio passthrough, HDMI CEC and 23.976 Hz?

None!!!!!

You need to have multiple boxes to accomplish this.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 

The ONLY thing that 'Does it all' is a Widows 10 computer of any type with an Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card or better as long as it hardware decodes, especially HEVC.
Kodi internal media player is not 3D frame packed or HDR capable. The custom Kodi MVC build for 3D frame packed is 1.3 HDMI port only and 4k requires HDMI 2.0. A different player is required and easily and seamlessly integrated into the Kodi GUI. PowerDVD and MPC-BE with madVR both handle 3D frame packed and HDR perfectly be it HDR to SDR and/or passthrough at 8bit or 10bit RGB full or YCbCr from a single HDMI 2.0 port. The same is not true for Intel Graphics or AMD graphics. Iso, mkv, mp4, bdmv, whatever you got.

PowerDVD allows full menus which introduce Cinavia protection overcome using RedFox. MPC-BE with madVR only allows main movie playback but does not introduce Cinavia.

Understand, once hardware and software is setup, you never have to adjust anything again. No fumbling with HDMI cables based on what you're watching. No O/S settings to turn on or off. No GPU settings to change according to content. No settings to flip flop in Kodi. Etc. Simply navigate the Kodi library, press enter on a title and it plays with no intervention. You can however select your player of choice manually within Kodi if you'd like. There are also many options of how you would like your defaults to work based on your own unique preferences. It's nice to have choices.

HD audio including DTS:X and Atmos as well as every other simply work and display on your AVR as they should. Matching frame rates is a breeze with no skipped, dropped or missed frames be it 23.976, 29.97, 59.94 (24, 30, 60 Hz) etc.

HDMI CEC I can't comment on. I use a Harmony remote programmed to turn the HTPC and related components On and Off in sequence based on the source inputs.

Also makes for a nice server to similar HTPC's. Most streaming apps on your display or your streaming box work just as well from Windows and/or plug-ins within Kodi.
Most of all, all media needs are in one box in one place, easily updateable and/or repaired economically and never ends up in the landfill. Mine is originally circa 2008. Btw, you can also use the same box for ALL your other computing and internet desires.
Expect a resurgence in the HTPC market based on shortcomings of the streaming box fad or you can keep adding collections of them and fumble around constantly.
There's probably a couple worthless bells and whistles a streaming box offers exclusively. Personally, I'm only interested in the meat and potatoes, not the sauce.

Afaik, there is NOTHING else out there that can make the same claims. N O T H I N G.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Just the same as the HTPC market surged after H264 and HD became requirements for serious media watchers. Eventually cheap intel and arm chipsets got H264 support and we went from HTPCs with nVidia cards to smaller, lower power devices.

The same cycle will happen again.

Plus ca change, plus le meme chose.
@brazen1: fully agree. Kodi on PC rules and keeps on running for long time (also after version upgrades).

Except for upgradability:

I used to run kodi and all other stuff (nas, home automation etc) on one box (kodibuntu), but found that upgrading kodi meant reinstall & reconfigure of everything.

Plus background tasks (ie backup services or simply serving files) could cause some video stuttering.

I have now moved all 'server' stuff to a nas and all experience stuff (home automation etc) to a Rpi.

This gives me now best of all worldWink

Sent from my HTC One_M8
3D Was reborn Big Grin

Home3D: 3DTV at Home: Eulerian-Lagrangian Stereo-to-Multiview Conversion
Quote:MIT CSAIL research team behind this new tech created Home3D, a conversion algorithm that can run in real-time on a GPU like those found in the Xbox One or PlayStation 4, eliminating the format compatibility issu

https://youtu.be/HfPXQBos4q4

LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Right I'll grok the maths and code that up before morning...
(2017-07-11, 23:35)brazen1 Wrote:

The ONLY thing that 'Does it all' is a Widows 10 computer of any type with an Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card or better as long as it hardware decodes, especially HEVC.
Kodi internal media player is not 3D frame packed or HDR capable. The custom Kodi MVC build for 3D frame packed is 1.3 HDMI port only and 4k requires HDMI 2.0. A different player is required and easily and seamlessly integrated into the Kodi GUI. PowerDVD and MPC-BE with madVR both handle 3D frame packed and HDR perfectly be it HDR to SDR and/or passthrough at 8bit or 10bit RGB full or YCbCr from a single HDMI 2.0 port.

So what is the difference then between this Intel / NVIDIA / PowerDVD / MPC-BE / madVR approach to what the HiMedia Q5/10 and Zidoo X9S devices are already using.
Kodi seems only to be a GUI frontend for external media player software on all of them ?

• 254(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17