• 111(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Kinda off the topic, but it is hardware & kodi....

Funny... I was shopping for new TV, gotta replace my Samsung plasma... trying to decide which set to by budget is $700, comparing Samsung MU6/7 series and the Sony XBR-7's... talking specs and stuff to as sales guy at the big store.
The sales guy was showing me the user interface on the smatrs part of the Sony and brings up Android ... starts talking about its Android just like a tablet or your phone, then he say's in a low quiet whispering voice you know what Kodi is.. you can download and install it on this TV and stream stuff from the internet.
(2017-05-16, 07:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Android Kodi / SPMC & Android TV only - Netflix & Amazon will have HDR support.

Yes HDR is confusing. HDR10 is not properly implemented at all in OSMC or LibreELEC Kodi - those being Kodi only implementations.
There is no way to turn on Deep Color Mode support for example, and there is no 10bit output, even if you are running on HDR capable Hardware.

Hit and miss currently in OSMC. Being worked on and will be improved in a future update.

(2017-05-12, 13:06)Nellgrove Wrote: @Nellgrove & @rick19011,

I was all set to try the Vero 4k, but it doesn't appear to have gigabit ethernet? i've had problems streaming from my NAS in the past without it so looking for the best option with that.

The decision to implement Fast Ethernet is intentional. While S905x has an integrated PHY, we could have used a separate IC. Gigabit Ethernet can cause issues, particularly with Flow Control. Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) is more than enough to stream 4K UHD content. Vero 4K's Ethernet isn't tied to USB (it's an integrated PHY) so you don't have contention with USB devices. This means you will indeed get 100Mbps throughput.
Quote:I'm def leaning to Vero 4K now, plug n play! My next dilemma would be finding a way to have my ipvanish work on it. Currently the VPN simply runs on the Mac. Any links that explain how to install VPN on OSMC box? Google didn't help me. Doesn't seem like Vero4K has implemented a easy to setup VPN GUI.
Update- registered on the OSMC forum & the owner explained he is working on a VPN update. I just bought a Vero 4k Smile

OpenVPN will work on OSMC, but we're working on making this simpler (configurable via GUI)

Thanks for your order -- hope you enjoy the Vero 4K. As always, feel free to email [email protected] or ping me on our forums if you have any questions

Sam
I have been looking into a solution that will allow me to replace the roku2 for watching uk on demand TV and my HTPC for movies (1K/4K) & lossless HD music playback. HDR and 3D would be nice to have for future upgrade as currently I'm still in love with my reference Kuro pioneer TV. Maybe 2018 will be year for OLED screen upgrade.

The plan is to use the current HTPC as a fileserver and have it remotely stored to minimise noise to the TV room. Ethernet will be used for connectivity.

I came across the new Mele Apollo PC and it seems to tick all the boxes.
My concerns are whether the onboard fixed 4gb memory will be enough to run w10 and 4K movies and
Also will the Intel firmware upgrades also work on this to fix known audio pass through issues etc.

What are your thoughts on this solution ?

MeLE PCG03 Apo mini PC specifications:

SoC – Intel Celeron N3450 quad core “Apollo Lake” processor @ 1.10 / 2.20 GHz with 12 EU Intel HD Graphics 500 (6W TDP)
System Memory – 4GB DDRL3L (soldered)
Storage – 32GB eMMC 5.0 flash (soldered), 1x M.2 SSD slot, 1x SD slot
Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60 Hz, and VGA
Audio – Via HDMI, 3.5mm audio combo jack
Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 ac WiFi & Bluetooth 4.0
USB – 3x USB 3.0 ports, 1x USB 2.0 port, 1x USB3.0 Type-C port

Currently on offer for $159 delivered.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/04/10/m...-0-output/
dibs on your Kuro!

just kidding. I couldn't afford the shipping, let alone the TV Sad
(2017-06-06, 20:41)runningnaked Wrote: dibs on your Kuro!

just kidding. I couldn't afford the shipping, let alone the TV Sad

Rofl

You can pick it up cheap through eBay .. Maybe local to you.

Every year I say this is the year i get a new TV ..
Last month was no different. I visited stores to check out the latest OLED/QLED sets, I was so impressed that I started itching to upgrade.
But when I got home to my old trusty set and put on BBC Earth II BR - Reality got realigned.
You still can't beat the colours of the Kuro and combine that with its fluid motion .. It's still a force to be reckoned with. The picture doesn't pop out or look sharp as on the newest screens instead it's very natural looking and easy on the eye. More close to cinema screen in my experience.

Maybe next year.
@archy121, the real question is does this Apollo Lake actually have a HDMI 2.0 port or use the problematic converter chip DP > HDMI 2.0 setup ?

I suspect it uses the same setup as all other Apollo hardware.
Your questions should really be asked in the existing Intel Apollo Lake thread.

(2017-06-07, 04:45)wrxtasy Wrote: @archy121, the real question is does this Apollo Lake actually have a HDMI 2.0 port or use the problematic converter chip DP > HDMI 2.0 setup ?

I suspect it uses the same setup as all other Apollo hardware.
Your questions should really be asked in the existing Intel Apollo Lake thread.

Thanks for input.
I will try to enquire with Mele about the HDMI implementation.

Hasn't the issue of DP>HDMI been resolved by Intel through firmware update or is that fix limited to Intel NUC's ?
Hi guys,

thanks for the wonderful thread!

I'm using since 2013 a Minix Neo X8.
I'm really happy about it (apart from the quite cheap remote control), but I'm stuck at Android 4.4 and I cannot upgrade Kodi to 17.

I use the box at 99% with KODI + some minor usage with local (italian contents) android apps.

I would like to purchase a new box that could allow me to:

- of course install KODI
- always have an updated version of android (maybe even flashing a stock version by myself)
- have a nice remote control (i already have a bluetooth keyboard so I do not need a thousand keys, but construction quality is important)

I prefer to connect by lan cable (I use a range extender) and i do not need any particular audio protocol.

Which device you would suggest?

Best regards!
(2017-06-07, 13:55)_matteo Wrote: Hi guys,

I'm really happy about it (apart from the quite cheap remote control), but I'm stuck at Android 4.4 and I cannot upgrade Kodi to 17.

I use the box at 99% with KODI + some minor usage with local (italian contents) android apps.

- of course install KODI
- always have an updated version of android (maybe even flashing a stock version by myself)
- have a nice remote control (i already have a bluetooth keyboard so I do not need a thousand keys, but construction quality is important)

I prefer to connect by lan cable (I use a range extender) and i do not need any particular audio protocol.

Best regards!

nVidia Shield 2017
(2017-06-07, 14:25)Jeffers24 Wrote:

- of course install KODI

Best regards!

nVidia Shield 2017

it's obviously the best, but it is high priced

I was wondering if a "less branded" version could exist Big Grin
(2017-06-07, 13:55)_matteo Wrote: I'm really happy about it (apart from the quite cheap remote control), but I'm stuck at Android 4.4 and I cannot upgrade Kodi to 17.
This Post will be of interest to you.

Also maybe X8-H PLUS Lollipop firmware (May 2017)]

Personally I would get a Samsung EVO, Sandisk or Lexar 300x Class 10 U1 microSDHC card and flash this LibreELEC Kodi Krypton image

LE can even be used as a dual boot - LE / Android box.

(2017-06-07, 14:45)_matteo Wrote:
(2017-06-07, 14:25)Jeffers24 Wrote:

- of course install KODI

Best regards!

nVidia Shield 2017

it's obviously the best, but it is high priced

I was wondering if a "less branded" version could exist Big Grin

Not that meets your requirements, specifically OS upgrades
Hi,

I'm looking for a Kodi device that supports Netflix HD which I will be connecting to my PC monitor.

So, my choice seems to be limited to the following:

(2015-12-21, 03:43)wrxtasy Wrote:
  • nVIDIA Shield (4K + HDR)
  • Xiaomi Mi Box (4K + HDR)
  • Amazon Stick/FTV1 + FTV2 (4K)
  • Intel machines running Win10, using either dedicated Apps or a Web Browser (Eg. Amazon Prime), very likely other OS's as well.
  • WeTek's Core , Hub and Play2 devices (note audio is 2.0 only)
  • Apple TV4

Which of these devices are able to output to full RGB (with a 0-255 color space)?

I recently bought the FTV2 but was disappointed to find out that it only outputs to 16-235, and as a result I do not get proper black levels when using it with my monitor.

It seems that the nVidia Shield can, but it seems very expensive for my use.
(2017-06-07, 14:53)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-06-07, 13:55)_matteo Wrote: I'm really happy about it (apart from the quite cheap remote control), but I'm stuck at Android 4.4 and I cannot upgrade Kodi to 17.
This Post will be of interest to you.

Also maybe X8-H PLUS Lollipop firmware (May 2017)]

Personally I would get a Samsung EVO, Sandisk or Lexar 300x Class 10 U1 microSDHC card and flash this LibreELEC Kodi Krypton image

LE can even be used as a dual boot - LE / Android box.

Thanks, unfortunately I just remembered that I own a Minix X7, not an X8 Sad

But thanks again for the links that totally deserve a read!
(2017-06-07, 19:47)(o_o) Wrote: Hi,

I'm looking for a Kodi device that supports Netflix HD which I will be connecting to my PC monitor.
I would be very careful with Netflix use on a PC Monitor. Netflix, and other streaming Apps uses a HDCP - copy protection system.
There is a strong possibility that a PC monitor will not have the necessary HDCP certificates to allow even a picture output (after the initial Bootscreen) from the listed Android (& Apple) Kodi/Netflix media players.

You would actually have to make sure any HDMI connected PC monitor supports at least HDCP 1.4 for 1080p Android / Netflix.

• 111(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28