• 1(current)
Req BD and UHD BD Menu support
I'll honk that horn once again since we are not in the UHD BD times.

DVDFab Media Player is a KODI fork which uses LibBluray - the same as KODI uses - and it can play BD-J menus and even UHD BD menus no problem.
The sad part is it doesn't support HDR properly like KODI.

So why can't we have it on KODI? Can't we take what's already done in DVDFab Media Player and import that to KODI?

As far as I can see it's just a matter of using the latest libbluray and remove the restrictions within kodi to stop saying menu not supported.

Could someone with deeper knowledge of KODI explain why this is taking centuries to be added?
Please find the dvdfab code and backport it to the current Kodi code. Then make it work for all platforms. Report back when complete Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@fandangos, Kodi is open source software so anyone can view the source code (somewhere) within github. They are even able to copy and then modify the source code that they can freely fetch from github. The only restriction is that as part of the GPL license, any publically released modifications of Kodi must have the changed code base made available for others to see (and thus back ported into Kodi if felt worthy).

As it seems DVDFab Media Player is indeed a modded fork of XBMC/Kodi, as such DVDFab should make the source code changes available. But DVDFab seems to ignore copywrite laws, which is great for as iy allows us to rip our disks, but multiple MPAA law suites can't seem to squash them for their misdeeds as seen by AACS/MPAA. So i'd say DVDFab wouldn't give too hoots about releasing any source code changes as required by the GPL licence. I also doubt Kodi has the legal budget of MPAA to fight DVDFab should their product be a fork of XBMC/Kodi where such source code changes should be made available but have not (remebering MPAA is spending $$$$$ on whack a mole). Mind you, it could be that DVDFab provides all their BD/UHD code as a binary addon within their Kodi fork which may not require they release anything associated with this feature of interest. But who knows how the feature has been added, i don't.

Anyway as @nickr said, and i'll parraphrase, if you can find the DVDFab source code (legally) and make it available or point to where it is available, i don't think you'd have to worry about the technical part of backporting this feature. Likely someone will take up that task on your behalf with glee.

However i doubt any encrypted playback feature would be part of Kodi core since decryption/unscrambling without AACS license is also a legal mind field which i doubt Kodi would like to get into (though i can't speak for them). But do feel free to ask DVDFab or search their site for the source code Wink

Having said the above, i'd love to see an open source BD and UHD playback of polycarbonite disks on a linux HTPS but i suspect it will not happen for legal reasons.

Such playback can already be done today (with limits) via hacks and tricks. I've done it on my Win7 PC and can play back most BD titles with menues (better than my crappy PowerDVD12) but this simply moves the legal responsibility from the application makers (VLC in my case) to the end user who does the hacking and provides the key file, etc. These licencing issue will always ensure it's not a simple download, install & playback proposition for end users using software where the suppliers don't want legal wack-a-mole problems by not licensing their software with ACCS mafia.

Sadly this whole DB UHD playback of polycarbonite disks should hopefully be easier to achieve when a UWP version of Kodi can be installed on XBox One/S/X. Hopefully Kodi can then use the XBox One/S/X native BD/UHD player to handle such disks from within Kodi itself. It's a platform specific solution but better than nothing Confused Big Grin
I'm a XBMC novice :)
(2017-06-13, 08:18)nickr Wrote: Please find the dvdfab code and backport it to the current Kodi code. Then make it work for all platforms. Report back when complete Smile

I knew I would get those kind of reply. If if been somewhat ungrateful I'm sorry.

Also I'm not talking about decrypting the disks. I'm talking about playing already decrypted content.
Let this part for the user.

What I'm asking is this:
1. Would be possible to update libbluray to the newest version?

2. Would be possible to remove the BD Menu not supported nag screen and even if there are some small bugs let it play?
Sometimes it's just a small bug, not letting you go into the language selection menus but all the rest and the special features work great.

3. Enable the UHD BD iso playback, which is really close to the BD structure, it's actually the same. KODI can play the M2TS from stream folder just fine. So it's only a matter of enabling the menus.
(2017-06-13, 12:15)fandangos Wrote:
(2017-06-13, 08:18)nickr Wrote: Please find the dvdfab code and backport it to the current Kodi code. Then make it work for all platforms. Report back when complete Smile
I knew I would get those kind of reply. If if been somewhat ungrateful I'm sorry.

Also I'm not talking about decrypting the disks. I'm talking about playing already decrypted content.

I believe that nickr is actually talking about DVDFab player code which includes the BD menu support code. So not specifically the decryption code.

Fact is that DVDFab is not sharing the full source code for its internal player code from its Kodi / XBMC fork which they have to according to the GPL.

Anyway, it is the code from DVDFab's Kodi / XBMC fork internal player code that you need to get at to get the same BD menu support in Kodi as DVDFab has.

(2017-06-13, 09:40)skylarking Wrote: So i'd say DVDFab wouldn't give too hoots about releasing any source code changes as required by the GPL licence. I also doubt Kodi has the legal budget of MPAA to fight DVDFab should their product be a fork of XBMC/Kodi where such source code changes should be made available but have not (remebering MPAA is spending $$$$$ on whack a mole). Mind you, it could be that DVDFab provides all their BD/UHD code as a binary addon within their Kodi fork which may not require they release anything associated with this feature of interest. But who knows how the feature has been added, i don't.
The way that DVDFab made their binaries all their media player and dependencies code should covered by GPL and as such requires them to release it.

And as I understand XBMC Foundation / Team Kodi has the backing of Software Freedom Law Center as legal representation.

https://www.softwarefreedom.org/services/

So, the XBMC Foundation / Team Kodi should just really get SFLC to sue DVDFab (and VidOn) in order to get all the code.

History:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=123801
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252356
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=188801
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=165232

DVDFab have now had several years to release the fully source code of its forks and dependecy libs as per the GPL.
@RockerC thanks for the clarification and the history links which i've quickly skimmed but will read through in detail later.

Just from my quick skiming of the history links provided, i still don't think SFLC will have as much $$ to spend on legal games with DVDFAb as AACS LA or MPAA have spent to date. As such, SFLC success rate will be worse than AACS LA / MPAA success rate which IIRC is a rather poor outcome, or non outcome, for the $$ spent. Semms like an expensive game of web site wack-a-mole. As for source code, the devs seemed not so interested in porting the Allwinner A10/20 vidon source though i'm not sure if the latest stuff was ever released by vidon.

@fandangos i didn't read your post as you being somewhat ungrateful, maybe just a little frustrated due to lack of knowledge as to how & why things weren't progressing. But since open source software like Kodi is build by volunteers, not by paid coders IIUC, coding only happens when someone is inerested and has an itch to scratch so to speak. But as mentioned, decrypting, unscrambling and handling BD and BD-J menus, some parts can be license encumbered and potentially a legal nightmare so could be considered off limits. Other parts like porting A10/20 source to old hardware may have 0% interest for the possibly large effort needed on old dated hardware.

It's complex and outside my knowledge base. If i knew of the build environment and the libraries required to have BD-J menus working, and all the dependancies this brings, then i'd comment but sadly i don't Undecided
we only have one dev (ace) working on anything bluray (except for MVC decoding which popcornmix and afedchin also worked on), and that dev took an out time because he needed to focus on private life. He recently picked up the work on BD-J menus again and also bumped libbluray to the latest version in his dev branch. So if time permits on his side, chances are good that BD-J menus finally make it into v18
This is also all assuming that even if DVDFab DID release it's source code, that the code it used wasn't just stolen or backward engineered from from a closed source/commercial piece of software, rendering it untouchable for Kodi.
(2017-06-13, 12:27)RockerC Wrote: So, the XBMC Foundation / Team Kodi should just really get SFLC to sue DVDFab (and VidOn) in order to get all the code.

I guess you've never dealt with SFLC, from what I've heard they are slower than a glacier at getting anything done.
IIRC, DVDFab and Vidon are the same company, and they use their own, closed-source, library for anything bluray related, that they will ofc never open as its basically they core business.
Since they use our playback engine the binary parts are interfacing directly to GPL code so doesn't their code then also become GPL as it not System libraries they are accessing, which is the only exception as far as I've understood GPL discussions.
(2017-06-13, 23:14)da-anda Wrote: we only have one dev (ace) working on anything bluray (except for MVC decoding which popcornmix and afedchin also worked on), and that dev took an out time because he needed to focus on private life. He recently picked up the work on BD-J menus again and also bumped libbluray to the latest version in his dev branch. So if time permits on his side, chances are good that BD-J menus finally make it into v18
That's open source software in a nutshell. Smart people do what they are intersted in software wise if and when they have time while balancing life.
Amazingly, it works out very well for us freeloaders users even though it can take time for new features to pop up.

Heck, sometimes paid for software is slower at getting fixes and new features than open source software is.
So, who can complain about something that's built by volunteers and provided for free; i can't Wink

Me, i don't rip ISO's but happy that ace is back looking at BD-J issues.
I'm also happy that there are many others interested in pushing out Kodi fixes and features.

Big thanks to teak Kodi Nod
(2017-06-14, 03:02)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2017-06-13, 12:27)RockerC Wrote: So, the XBMC Foundation / Team Kodi should just really get SFLC to sue DVDFab (and VidOn) in order to get all the code.

I guess you've never dealt with SFLC, from what I've heard they are slower than a glacier at getting anything done.

And likely teh court system is even slower Rofl
(2017-06-14, 10:28)jjd-uk Wrote: Since they use our playback engine the binary parts are interfacing directly to GPL code so doesn't their code then also become GPL as it not System libraries they are accessing, which is the only exception as far as I've understood GPL discussions.

it does. They must release source according to our GPL license, but we all know they never will. Wall of shame anyone?
(2017-06-14, 10:28)jjd-uk Wrote: Since they use our playback engine the binary parts are interfacing directly to GPL code so doesn't their code then also become GPL as it not System libraries they are accessing, which is the only exception as far as I've understood GPL discussions.

Yep, I see you were listening at devcon Wink
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BD and UHD BD Menu support3