• 70(current)
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV
I have the 2017 x800e. 55 inch. So disappointed In the android TV audio handling. No Kodi passthru. Spotify either. Only Netflix passes thru audio, and only in DD for me (my receiver can handle DD+, but seemingly not over ARC)

Paid $1700 Canadian for this and all I'm getting is good picture. Audio and features are a downgrade. I will be returning this set and getting a "dumber" 55" TV and continue using my Nexus Player with Kodi.
I have Sony KD-65XD7505, After last update (Android 7.0) I got DD+ on Amazon and Netflix app Smile
Living Room: ASRock J3455 , 8GB RAM, Sandisk SSD 120GB, LibreELEC Testbuild,- Pioneer VSX-930 - Sony KD-65XD7505
Test HDR Setup: Bqeel M9Cmax (S905X 2GB RAM, 16G Flash) LibreElec HDR 10Bit Build Test6 from johngalt
R.I.P. DAD: 17.06.1952 - 21.01.2017
Was hoping someone can help as it's kinda down this threads path.

Girlfriends tv is a Sony Android based tv and I got kodi on there and she adds stuff onto a USB and just updates the library.

Everything was fine until recently which seems to be either a tv thing or kodi I'm not sure, but now every time she unplugs the hdd and back in again it changes the hdds ID and then errors out with the library updates. She has to go back in re add the new directory path and start again. Only seemed to happen we think with new kodi update.

Anyone have any idea how to solve this issue at all?
On my Sony, I use the "remove hdd" method through the user interface. I know it's a PIA, but seems to work.

Also, I use SPMC 16.6.0 instead of Kodi. I find SPMC on Android just works better and it usually detects the HDD. Occasionally the Sony tv will not detect the device. Unplug and replug in and wait. Or, do a reset on the television. I have had some strange issues on the television (like no audio output, CEC not working) to the receiver, which was only corrected by a reset. Go to Home=>About and reset. Your settings will be fine.
(2017-06-13, 17:03)cwh060 Wrote: On my Sony, I use the "remove hdd" method through the user interface. I know it's a PIA, but seems to work.

Also, I use SPMC 16.6.0 instead of Kodi. I find SPMC on Android just works better and it usually detects the HDD. Occasionally the Sony tv will not detect the device. Unplug and replug in and wait. Or, do a reset on the television. I have had some strange issues on the television (like no audio output, CEC not working) to the receiver, which was only corrected by a reset. Go to Home=>About and reset. Your settings will be fine.

So with SPMC you still have to use the remove hdd option? Or was that only with Kodi?
Yes, with SPMC or with Kodi. Through the television's interface. Make sure when you plug the hdd in, the television detects the device.
Yeah it always detects it. It just always seems to add a different character before the HDD every time it's unplugged and plugged back in. Will suss out the safe eject thing tho
Strange for sure, on my HDD's I have set a "name". ie "Patriot D:" or "UHD Drive" SPMC always detects the same device and scans in new content.
II made several tests to investigate the KODI support for the hardware video codecs of the Mediatek MT5890.
The Mediatek MT5890 soc has 9 hardware codecs implemented but not all seem work properly.
I have a 2015 full HD android TV with Android Lollipop.
Here the results:

- MPEG2: Good support. All the tested video are hardware decoded.
- H263: Good support. All the tested video are hardware decoded.
- AVC/H264 : Good support. All the tested video are hardware decoded.
- HEVC/H265: Good support. All the tested video are hardware decoded.
- MPEG4 part 2 (MP4V-ES): Bad support. Almost all tested the video are software decoded (Xvid, DivX, SEDG). Looking at the Kodi code I found out that Kodi disables the hardware decoding for files with a width smaller than 800.
- VP6: Bad support. KODI forces the use of the VP8 hardware codec and fails to render the video and it goes into an infinite loop.
- VP8: Good support. All the tested video are hardware decoded.
- VC1: Bad support. According to the mime description WVC1 (Advanced profile) is not implemented in the soc. Only the simple profile and main profile is implemented (WMV3) but KODI fails to render the video and it goes into an infinite loop.
- MJPEG: Bad support. All the tested video are software decoded.

No VP9 hardware support (there is not the hardware codec).
No H264 HI10p support.
Great report. But, are these TVs really powerful enough for H265? Can you share the specs of the file you tested?
H265 videos are hardware decoded by KODI therefore there is no performance issue.
In this case KODI uses the hardware VPU and the cpu is left free for other tasks.
Problems could raise for the videos which are software decoded (e.g. Xvid videos). Fortunately the most demanding video codec (H265 and H264) are hardware decoded.

I used many files taken from:

https://samples.mplayerhq.hu/

https://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/

http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

and serching in internet.

I spent a lot a time in serching and selecting the videos.
Quote:No VP9 hardware support (there is not the hardware codec).
I can see the codec

Code:
OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.VP9   video/x-vnd.on2.vp9

on my Sony.

It can't do VP9.2 though which is the 10/12 bit variant of VP9 for HDR content.
(2017-06-18, 17:45)Oibaf Wrote: II made several tests to investigate the KODI support for the hardware video codecs of the Mediatek MT5890.
The Mediatek MT5890 soc has 9 hardware codecs implemented but not all seem work properly.
I have a 2015 android TV with Android Lollipop.
Here the results:

- MPEG2: Good support. All the tested video are hardware decoded.
- H263: Good support. All the tested video are hardware decoded.
- AVC/H264 : Good support. All the tested video are hardware decoded.
- HEVC/H265: Good support. All the tested video are hardware decoded.
- MPEG4 (MP4V-ES): Bad support. Almost all tested the video are software decoded (Xvid, DivX, SEDG). Only one DX50 video file was hardware decoded. I had the same results with my TAB S2 with Exynos soc while VLC works properly. It seems a KODI limitation.
- VP6: Bad support. KODI forces the use of the VP8 hardware codec and fails to render the video and it goes into an infinite loop.
- VP8: Good support. All the tested video are hardware decoded.
- VC1: Bad support. According to the mime description WVC1 (Advanced profile) is not implemented in the soc. Only the simple profile and main profile is implemented (WMV3) but KODI fails to render the video and it goes into an infinite loop.
- MJPEG: Bad support. All the tested video are software decoded.

No VP9 hardware support (there is not the hardware codec).
No H264 HI10p support.
The KODI team should try to improve the MPEG4 hardware support since there are a lot movies with Xvid codecs even if the cpu can manage the software decoding.

Just a guess: while the soc is capable of hardware decode all those fancy codec, it does not mean that the android you have on your TV let apps use it (same story than DTS passthrough on sony TV)
Moanbag is in da place!
(2017-06-18, 18:36)CiNcH Wrote: I can see the codec

Code:
OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.VP9   video/x-vnd.on2.vp9

on my Sony.

It can't do VP9.2 though which is the 10/12 bit variant of VP9 for HDR content.

I do not have this codec on my Sony (50w808C) with Android Lollipop.

Maybe the firmware has been added with the Marshmallow update.
(2017-06-18, 18:49)Gracus Wrote: Just a guess: while the soc is capable of hardware decode all those fancy codec, it does not mean that the android you have on your TV let apps use it (same story than DTS passthrough on sony TV)

In theory Android should let the apps use the hardware decoding for all the codecs.
To this aim the chipset vendor writes and install in the android package the low level firmware to let the applications to use the hardware codecs.
It is up to the application developper to write the correct code to use the hardware through the Android APIs.
But sometimes the application developper fails to write the correct code for several reasons e.g. lack of API documentation, lack of testing expecially when an application has to run on several machines, bugs in the firmware, etc.
  • 70(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV8