Show embedded thumbnail?
I've got video files with embedded thumbnails, but the thumbnails aren't showing up.

Any ideas how I can get this to work?
1.Are these vids commercially released movies/tv shows that have been correctly added to your library and properly scraped?

2. Are they home movies?

More info needed from you...
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
I am pretty sure that Kodi does not read tagged info from video files. Rather it uses the scraping process to populate the library with metadata.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Is there a reason why Kodi wouldn't use embedded artwork (and other embedded data)?

Seems like this should be the default, rather than relying on a working internet connection (which may not be available), consuming bandwidth (which can be expensive in some places) and creating log files (on remote servers) that can be used to see what movies someone has, and when they're watching them, among other security and efficiency issues that this default behaviour opens.

Here's screen-shot of nautilus (file-browser on Ubuntu) showing embedded covers -

I would've thought Kodi would default to similar behaviour.
(2017-06-19, 05:54)smasha Wrote: Is there a reason why Kodi wouldn't use embedded artwork (and other embedded data)?

Seems like this should be the default, rather than relying on a working internet connection (which may not be available), consuming bandwidth (which can be expensive in some places) and creating log files (on remote servers) that can be used to see what movies someone has, and when they're watching them, among other security and efficiency issues that this default behaviour opens.

Here's screen-shot of nautilus (file-browser on Ubuntu) showing embedded covers -

I would've thought Kodi would default to similar behaviour.

I would guess you have download the artwork and find all other information on internet before putting them in your tag -> same security issue than with kodi scraping

About bandwith: once the first scraping of a movie has been made, you can export those info/artworks to local files and use them if you need one day to rebuild your kodi library

About working internet connection: same answer than about bandwith...
Moanbag is in da place!
That's a lot of guesses and assumptions.

Still, the default behaviour seems like a rather Goldberg-esque solution (relying on too many variables and dependencies and "moving parts") rather than defaulting to the simplest behaviour with the least dependencies.

Sure, if a file doesn't have this meta-data, then what's currently the default behaviour would be a very nice 2nd option. But it's an overly complicated and undesirable 1st option, that's (at best) an ugly kludge with my own original content.
Most video formats do not have this info, nor is it often very good quality as it's designed for icons not full screen viewing. You could of course write a scraper that extracts such thumbnail.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-19, 06:15)Gracus Wrote: About bandwith: once the first scraping of a movie has been made, you can export those info/artworks to local files and use them if you need one day to rebuild your kodi library

We have just established in another thread, that kodi does not automatically import / scrape (all) files it created on en earlier export....
(2017-06-19, 11:47)mchp92 Wrote:
(2017-06-19, 06:15)Gracus Wrote: About bandwith: once the first scraping of a movie has been made, you can export those info/artworks to local files and use them if you need one day to rebuild your kodi library

We have just established in another thread, that kodi does not automatically import / scrape (all) files it created on en earlier export....

At least it should

Even if there is a bug right now, the normal behaviour should be "use local info if i tell you to"
Moanbag is in da place!
(2017-06-19, 06:34)nickr Wrote: Most video formats do not have this info, nor is it often very good quality as it's designed for icons not full screen viewing. You could of course write a scraper that extracts such thumbnail.
MP4, MOV, M2TS, and MKV/WEBM are among the common containers that do support this. Anecdotally, MKV and MP4 seem to be the most common formats.

Not sure where I'd get started writing a scraper for this, but for someone who's more familiar with Kodi it shouldn't take too long to sort out. I mean, if I had to do this on a command line with ffmpeg or similar, it would take a few minutes.
I can move your thread to Feature Requests if you like...
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-06-20, 06:01)Karellen Wrote: I can move your thread to Feature Requests if you like...
That'd be cool. Thanks.
It's been in feature requests before, but go ahead.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-20, 05:42)smasha Wrote:
(2017-06-19, 06:34)nickr Wrote: Most video formats do not have this info, nor is it often very good quality as it's designed for icons not full screen viewing. You could of course write a scraper that extracts such thumbnail.
MP4, MOV, M2TS, and MKV/WEBM are among the common containers that do support this. Anecdotally, MKV and MP4 seem to be the most common formats.

Not sure where I'd get started writing a scraper for this, but for someone who's more familiar with Kodi it shouldn't take too long to sort out. I mean, if I had to do this on a command line with ffmpeg or similar, it would take a few minutes.

It wouldn't part of a scraper, it would be part of the internal Media Info that does the codec, resolution etc retrieval which uses ffmpeg I believe.

If you know the ffmpeg commands to do this then perhaps post these here then hopefully someone with the knowledge of where to place the function will come along and implement it.
And should it then replace part of what the scraper does? Or defer to the scraper? Which takes precedence?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Show embedded thumbnail?0