Windows 10 dropping support for SMB v1
Exclamation 
Windows 10 is apparently dropping support for SMB v1 in the next release - see here for more details.
This is related to my other post asking about SMB v2/3 support in Kodi, but I thought I would give a different subject as this could effect quite a lot of Kodi users on Android and other devices as I think Kodi currently only support SMB v1.
Kodi 18.5 on NVIDIA Shield TV, Denon AVR-X4400H, Monitor Audio Gold speakers + dual XTZ 12.17 subs, JVC DLA-x7900 projector, LG 55SJ810V TV
Bound to happen.
Just to add this is just a very early heads up and when this happens it's effects are 'limited' to fresh installs .
To be honoust, smbv1 should have already been gone and i advice anyone that still relies on itbto think of something else (i.e. NFS).
You can already uninstall smb1 on windows 8.1/10. And indeed, the Android Kodi's smb doesn't work without smb1. It uses an ancient version of Samba.
courtesy of samba by changing build system to something incredibly broken for cross compiling.
We're debating and working on upgrading samba on and off for a while now.
Thanks for he info.
As a matter of interest how does the NFS performance compare to SMB when used by Kodi running on Android?
Kodi 18.5 on NVIDIA Shield TV, Denon AVR-X4400H, Monitor Audio Gold speakers + dual XTZ 12.17 subs, JVC DLA-x7900 projector, LG 55SJ810V TV
(2017-06-20, 10:44)justinhow Wrote: Thanks for he info.
As a matter of interest how does the NFS performance compare to SMB when used by Kodi running on Android?
experiences may vary because of different variables, but in general NFS will be a bit faster.
The things is on Windows ity's not an out-of-the-box thing, you have to do some fiddling.
(2017-06-20, 17:24)Atreyu Wrote: experiences may vary because of different variables, but in general NFS will be a bit faster.
The things is on Windows ity's not an out-of-the-box thing, you have to do some fiddling.

What do you recommend? I'm looking for alternatives because for the life of me I can't get Kodi + SMB working on a buddy's Amazon Fire TV.
(2017-06-19, 18:53)Atreyu Wrote: Bound to happen.
Just to add this is just a very early heads up and when this happens it's effects are 'limited' to fresh installs .
To be honoust, smbv1 should have already been gone and i advice anyone that still relies on itbto think of something else (i.e. NFS).

I would not call this an early heads up, this is the second step:

1) - warn of demise and make feature optional
2) - disable by default on new install
3) - remove entirely

Early heads up was given in June 2013 when SMB1 was added to deprecation list.
And more early heads up in 2015 when they said "start preparing for SMB1 demise"
And again in 2016 when they said "stop using SMB1"

SMB2 was introduced in Vista in 2006 FYI
(2017-06-20, 20:06)voochi Wrote:
(2017-06-19, 18:53)Atreyu Wrote: Bound to happen.

I would not call this an early heads up, this is the second step:

1) - warn of demise and make feature optional
2) - disable by default on new install
3) - remove entirely

Early heads up was given in June 2013 when SMB1 was added to deprecation list.
And more early heads up in 2015 when they said "start preparing for SMB1 demise"
And again in 2016 when they said "stop using SMB1"

SMB2 was introduced in Vista in 2006 FYI
I know, its part of my job.
I meant for the average joe with a now working system it will not break immediately, nothing more ;-)

Also please note my recommendation in the same post. No disagreements here :-)
(2017-06-20, 20:03)ECEC Wrote:
(2017-06-20, 17:24)Atreyu Wrote: experiences may vary because of different variables, but in general NFS will be a bit faster.

What do you recommend? I'm looking for alternatives because for the life of me I can't get Kodi + SMB working on a buddy's Amazon Fire TV.
My recommendation is in my first post.
(2017-06-20, 20:22)Atreyu Wrote: My recommendation is in my first post.

You said "NFS" but I was asking about the specifics. My buddy has a Win7 Pro box with all of his media on it, so it doesn't have NFS. I've been looking through some third party stuff, but I'm looking for recommendations.
One possible solution for Windows would be Hanewin.
https://www.hanewin.net/nfs-e.htm
I have SMB working fine on Windows 10 and Fire TV.

What exactly is your issue?

(2017-06-20, 20:03)ECEC Wrote:

(2017-06-22, 17:31)FireInMyHole Wrote: I have SMB working fine on Windows 10 and Fire TV.

SMBv1.
(2017-06-22, 17:31)FireInMyHole Wrote: I have SMB working fine on Windows 10 and Fire TV.

It would never connect, no matter what. I installed the software Atreyu recommended and it worked perfectly, so I tossed $20 at them for that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 dropping support for SMB v10