Nintendo & BREIN Target Seller of ‘Pirate’ Retro Gaming System
At least another outsider here gets my point. Good explanation Bluesmanuk.
(2017-06-30, 21:41)Bluesmanuk Wrote: The reason that Nintendo's interest has been peaked here is because of the rise in sales opportunities from retro devices for older gaming and the damage that this will do to profits.

This is very true.

How ironic would it be when the pinned forum announcement is changed from:

The Piracy Box Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi

to

The Piracy console Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi
Quote:You would normally have to pay for video games, just look on eBay for old school games, yes they are still selling well.
Just because there are for sale listings, doesn't mean that if you get it for free elsewhere it is illegal. Kodi is a great example... how many people every minute are being duped into buying Kodi, when they can obtain a free copy?

Quote:Access to the Archive’s Collections is provided at no cost to you and is granted for scholarship and research purposes only
and
Quote:Some of the content available through the Archive may be governed by local, national, and/or international laws and regulations, and your use of such content is solely at your own risk. You agree to abide by all applicable laws and regulations, including intellectual property laws, in connection with your use of the Archive
Reading the Terms and Conditions of the site would have notified you that the content is made available for the above use case only. Which leads me to believe that anyone accessing the content against the conditions is committing copyright infringement- not Kodi. Kodi is providing a legitimate means to access, it is the user that needs to decide if they can legally access.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-06-30, 22:01)Karellen Wrote: Reading the Terms and Conditions of the site would have notified you that the content is made available for the above use case only. Which leads me to believe that anyone accessing the content against the conditions is committing copyright infringement- not Kodi. Kodi is providing a legitimate means to access, it is the user that needs to decide if they can legally access.

Terms and conditions of a site like archive.org mean absolutely jack when it comes to accessing copyright content which isn't even owned by said website. What you are saying actually means Kodi is partly a facilitator of these pirate roms - Or at least supports the idea of facilitating piracy in this way, as it's openly discussed on the Internet archive rom launcher sub forum.

I'm no copyright lawyer (obviously), but If I can see that something is clearly wrong, then those FACT and BREIN boys sure as hell will.

Team Kodi. Tread carefully.
Stop trolling
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=316565 Smile

When Kodi promote something based on US laws only (or what they decide should be law) without any warning for it's users about that it's bad Wink
Users install an addon that does access website X internnal, the addons nevers displays the site TOS. Who is responsible? The user that believe what Kodi says? The addons that does not displays the TOS? How is the user of an addons on a repository that is advertised everywhere as fully legal supposed to know that in fact it's not that simple?

All is very grey, same for most addons that break website TOS. Despite what some says, breaking a contract is illegal in many countries.
The most fun part is when on Kodi website you can find https://kodi.tv/known-list-of-gpl-violators that says that Kodi could take legal actions for people who break GPL. (And there's many messages here about the fact that any dev could start legal actions against people who break GPL).

But wait, isn't GPL a simple TOS / contract that the user accept when he download code? Just like a TOS when a user access a website?

Quite ironic no? Only what's problematic is illegal, the rest is not?

So please, please, please, stop writing everywhere that everything is legal.
Put warnings that users should check their local laws and website TOS that addons access.

Current communication is miss leading at least but mostly immoral as someone said earlier Wink
Stop trolling
(2017-06-30, 22:01)Karellen Wrote: Just because there are for sale listings, doesn't mean that if you get it for free elsewhere it is illegal. Kodi is a great example... how many people every minute are being duped into buying Kodi, when they can obtain a free copy?

Did you really just say that? Do you honestly think having access to content which you do not own and would normally have to pay for be deemed legal?
@Martijn. I'm sorry but your comment is bland.

I would love to see you tell FACT and BREIN to stop trolling if they approached you regarding this topic, you may say stop trolling , but this is a serious matter.

Mark my words - Kodi will be next. (unless of course things change around here)

p.s I know your all power hungry people around here so I won't be suprised if I'm banned from the forum for speaking the truth. But I guess the truth hurts to some people here.
Stop trolling
Okay Martijn....
This raises interesting and important issues.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Copyright holders can send notice and have the content removed, no questions asked. Nintendo has already done this with their Nintendo Magazine. If they wanted to remove the content they can. No legal issues. Also, please don't twist peoples' words to suit your narrative. I've never once said that everything on archive.org is 100% legal. We are discussing roms. So again, until the roms are removed or archive.org loses it's LIBRARY status, your opinions are null and void.

I will say that Tolriq absolutely brings up a great and beyond valid point. This in my opinion should be some sort of "Must click accept" or something similar on a first run with kodi as well as in any addons' info page/download page/forum page.
(2017-06-30, 23:02)nickr Wrote: This raises interesting and important issues.

I honestly disagree, but only because these points have been discussed ad nauseum on this forum for like 3 years. Our stance has been pretty clear and on point the entire time. We are under the impression that archive.org stores and provides only legal content. We are under the impression that they have been given special rights to do so under the DMCA. If some content provider disagrees, we will point them to archive.org and let those groups work it out. If they can't work it out, or if they work it out and ultimately come to the conclusion that our linking to archive.org somehow falls outside the provided DMCA exception, then we'll deal with the addon then. If some non-US organization comes to talk about the issue, we'll let archive.org work it out by geo-blocking or whatever they want to do.

Nothing about this news changes that. This random guy wasn't given a special right under the DMCA to host this content or install it on machines, so there, by definition, should be no protections for him.

Tolriq, no offense, but I'm not going to reply to you, as doing so will undoubtedly result in a 3 page discussion completely unrelated to the topic in which no one is convinced of anything and lots of people learn fairly incorrect interpretations of law from you.
Okay Nate, so if you are under the impression that archive.org only provides legal content, then all users of this forum should be freely be allowed to download the latest "Kodi build" packed with piracy addons, directly from archive.org - or how about the infamous showbox apk for android which allows users to watch movies and tv shows for free? You clearly know what is going on here - you are in denial about this subject.

https://archive.org/details/cartoonhd_v207

https://archive.org/details/com.tdo.showbox_4.82-98

Over a million downloads for a piracy app? hosted on archive.org.

And you are under the impression that archive only hosts legal content.

We aren't stupid mate!

archive.org is clearly riddled with shady software and you know it.

In your eyes its "just a grey area" unti told otherwise by the likes of FACT.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nintendo & BREIN Target Seller of ‘Pirate’ Retro Gaming System0