• 4(current)
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
(2017-05-30, 00:58)discovery Wrote: I have the impression that an android version for this box, would make it more attractive to potential users.

We're working on it Smile
Hi,

Just wanted to post about some progress we've made.

(2017-05-28, 22:50)wesk05 Wrote: PCM audio: Output is limited to 16-bit and is capped at 96 kHz. Hi-resolution 24-bit audio will be dithered to 16-bit. 176.4 and 192 kHz are down sampled to 96 kHz.

As of OSMC 2017.06-1, this is no longer the case Smile

Quote:HDR: Rec.2020 color space and HDR10 metadata passthrough works only when there is no refresh rate switching (either disabled or refresh rate is set to match the frame rate manually).
Dolby Vision HDR sample clips play OK, but Dolby Vision metadata cannot be detected in the output. Similarly, HDR10 videos in VP9 profile 2.0 format can be played, but the output doesn’t seem to have HDR metadata.

HDR improvements are in the works and we will have it in better shape soon enough.

Quote:Color Fidelity: Native 8-bit output is fine. 10-bit content is dithered to 8-bit and has huge chroma errors. From an academic stand point, this will be considered as unwatchable. This seems to be a problem with the Linux driver because LibreELEC builds also show same errors.

There are now improvements to this (see above). I'd love to know of any clips that are not playing back well; as well
as any equipment that you're having problems with.

Quote:3D: HSBS/HTAB playback in 1080p doesn’t trigger 3D signaling. You have to manually select the 3D mode on the TV. When output resolution is set to 2160p, HSBS/HTAB content is played only in the left half or top half of the screen.

Working on this; as well as adding support for Frame Packed output. We had some 3D (including autoswitching) improvements in 2017.06-1
but it needs a bit more work

Cheers

Sam
Thanks for the update! Over the weekend, I did try the experimental 10-bit, HDR improvements and I was going to post my impression. I think it is working fine. I know there are some users reporting issues with switching, but I don't have that issue with my Samsung SUHD TVs.

PCM Audio: Yes, it does output 176.4 and 192kHz audio now, but it is still 16-bit.

Color Accuracy: I haven't fully tested this, but it looks like the chroma errors have been fixed.

I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone on OSMC forum, but it looks like fractional refresh rate (23.976/59.940) output is actually broken. I haven't checked it on the regular firmware. It could be something that is specific for the 10-bit/HDR image.
AML Linux Kodi with a HDR Nougat Kernel needs slightly different Fractional display mode handling vs using it with the current AML Marshmallow Kernel, as seen Here

There is also now a frac_rate_policy switch that is used.

That's correct. The new kernel allows fractional modes to be configured via sysfs now. This allows userland to have more fine grained
control over these modes. It's still experimental. Checking output /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/frac_rate_policy during playback would be
interesting.

Make sure you test with 23.976. 59.940 is never a good test.
I suspect you won't have issues with the stable version of OSMC. We had some users with very sharp eyes and there have been some PLL refinements to ensure that things are very smooth there.

I appreciate the testing Smile

Sam
(2017-07-19, 03:33)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Checking output /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/frac_rate_policy during playback would be interesting.

Make sure you test with 23.976. 59.940 is never a good test.
I suspect you won't have issues with the stable version of OSMC. We had some users with very sharp eyes and there have been some PLL refinements to ensure that things are very smooth there.

I appreciate the testing Smile

Sam

I don't have an army of minions like Gru, but I do have a few minions (aka analyzers) that help me with these kind of things. It was based on my minion's report that I said fractional refresh rate output is broken Big Grin

The output of the frac_rate_policy command is always 0.
(2017-07-19, 07:39)wesk05 Wrote: The output of the frac_rate_policy command is always 0.
Which means Fractional with AML Nougat = disabled

Indeed -- I'll fix it in the next round of HDR improvements (hopefully with 3D frame packing too).

@wesk05: Have you tried sudo chown osmc:osmc /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/frac_rate_policy. I'll fix permissions on the next update.

The stable OSMC releases won't have any issues with this -- as the way fractional modes are configured is slightly different.
(2017-07-20, 19:58)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: @wesk05: Have you tried sudo chown osmc:osmc /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/frac_rate_policy. I'll fix permissions on the next update.
Because of the permissions issue, I ran it with sudo. I didn't change permissions.
Forgot to mention that this has been fixed for a couple of weeks now (fractional modes).

The 192Khz PCM is working as well.

I tested Jellyfish today and got 300Mbps playing smoothly from the eMMC. There shouldn't be a delay in startup time either (instant).

Still working on 3D. ppmgr3d seems to need work.

Sam
I have a question to the Vero 4k. Is it possible to adjust volume with the OSMC remote?
Yes -- it's possible.

Currently, the OSMC Remote doesn't feature volume buttons however.
Most people swap the fast forward and rewind keys for volume buttons. This can be done
trivially using the add-on Keymap Editor, or by following the advice here: http://bit.ly/2eQ5Kum.

Sam
(2017-09-02, 23:12)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Yes -- it's possible.

Currently, the OSMC Remote doesn't feature volume buttons however.
Most people swap the fast forward and rewind keys for volume buttons. This can be done
trivially using the add-on Keymap Editor, or by following the advice here: http://bit.ly/2eQ5Kum.

Sam

Thanks for the quick response
Hi Sam,

another question I would also like to know if it would be possible to remap the forward and the rewind keys to change the volume over CEC of the TV itself? As the Ver 4k supports CEC that would be the perfect combination. And maybe it would be even possible to send a TV on / off over the Homebutton maybe and change to the Vero 4k source?

Would be great to know if it is possible to adjust this in OSMC for the Vero 4k. Something I have been really enjoying on the Apple TV. 4 and which is missing on any player on the market. On the ATV4 I haven't touched the TV remote at all, just that the ATV4 is a bad video player...at least deinterlacing wise, where the amlogic Vero 4k should be more then awesome.

Thanks again for your support and quick help here Smile

regards
Vlaves
Hi,

It's possible to map remote keys to CEC functions; provided that your TV supports these functions. So regarding TV control: http://kodi.wiki/view/List_of_built-in_functions; you have CECActivateSource; CECToggleState; CECStandby.

CEC can only control the volume of an AVR however; not a TV.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?4