Quick H265 playback question/confusion
Have an amazing Kodi media center!! Thanks Kodi Devs!

Quick question.

It a quad core AMD proc (860k) with an Nvidia 640. I am upgrading to a 4k TV soon and have a quick question about hardware acceleration.

1080p h264 - Hitting "O" tells me hardware encoding is enabled, cpu usage is low and hardware acceleration is on. EXPECTED Smile

1080p h265 file - Hitting "O" tells me hardware encoding is ENABLED, cpu usage is low and hardware acceleration is on...... WhatHuh I thought my 6xx series gpu did not do ANY h265 hardware encodingHuh Is it because its possibly only 8-bit and 1080p? Still.. unexpected.....

4K h265 HDR - Hitting "O" tells me hardware encoding is DISABLED, Cpu usage is almost 100% and hardware acceleration is DISABLED. EXPECTED.

Why is my hardware acceleration enabled on 1080p h265 (not complaining, just have no idea how) and gpu wise, some are saying that all though a 1030 is a nice option and would probably allow me to now play 4k hdr h265, having a 4GB card like the 1050 TI would be better.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

*** Also, do you need windows 10 for 4k HDR hardware decode on a Pascal or does it work fine in 7?
Are you certian that your 1080p h265 is really h.264/HEVC?
(2017-08-04, 16:36)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Are you certian that your 1080p h265 is really h.264/HEVC?

Absolutely certain. Its an h265 file as verified by info in VLC, and the Kodi skin badges as an H265.
No quick Debug Log no quick answer
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-08-04, 18:08)fritsch Wrote: No quick Debug Log no quick answer

What would the debug log tell you other then its using the GPU to hardware accelerate which we can see is working without the log by hitting O? I was just curious if anyone knew of some sort of hidden features of the 6xx series maybe accelerating 8bit 1080p H265 but not 10 bit?

Also what is the debug log going to tell you about my 1030 questions and Kodi's support for Nvidia hardware h265 support on windows 7 VS windows 10?

Not trying to be a jerk here at all and if you think a debug log will help I will certainly do it, but seeing as I am not trying to diagnose an issue and asking a question about OS/GPU support with decoding, Im not sure a debug log is going to help anything here.

Thanks
It tells us what you really play and why dxva fails to open...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-08-04, 20:40)fritsch Wrote: It tells us what you really play and why dxva fails to open...

I know why Dxva fails to open on that card when doing 4k HDR. Its completely unsupported on the 6xx series Smile

My question was why it WORKS on 1080p h265 files when its not supposed to haha

I was just wondering if anyone knew if the 6xx series had some sort of h265 processing built in (8-bit h265 1080p) that is undocumented by Nvidia because Kodi is obviously using it!
(2017-08-04, 20:43)apachehaovk Wrote:
(2017-08-04, 20:40)fritsch Wrote: It tells us what you really play and why dxva fails to open...

I know why Dxva fails to open on that card when doing 4k HDR. Its completely unsupported on the 6xx series Smile

I was just wondering if anyone knew if the 6xx series had some sort of h265 processing built in (8-bit h265 1080p) that is undocumented by Nvidia because Kodi is obviously using it!

At this point I'm baffled as to why you repeat the question while refusing to provide the answer giving log file...
(2017-08-05, 04:39)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2017-08-04, 20:43)apachehaovk Wrote:

At this point I'm baffled as to why you repeat the question while refusing to provide the answer giving log file...

At this point I am baffled why that matters. Lets try this. In PowerDVD, my Nvidia 640 seems to accelerate 8 bit H265. Seeing as there are a TON of wonderful video experts here on the Kodi forums, I was wondering if anyone knows why or have heard of pre 950 cards accelerating any 8-bit H265 video?

Do you still need my Kodi log now?

Thanks for anyone who has any incite on Nvidia hardware acceleration!
(2017-08-07, 15:45)apachehaovk Wrote: At this point I am baffled why that matters. Lets try this. In PowerDVD, my Nvidia 640 seems to accelerate 8 bit H265. Seeing as there are a TON of wonderful video experts here on the Kodi forums, I was wondering if anyone knows why or have heard of pre 950 cards accelerating any 8-bit H265 video?

The log only matters if you want the answer to the question.

By all known specs, the hardware should not decode HEVC. You want to know how it is decoding HEVC. Inside the log is the details of how Kodi is decoding the video. You keep replying, reiterating your question, but arguing against supplying a log.

The answer is in the log. Period. If you don't want the answer, don't provide the log, but why keep asking the question if you don't want to provide the log?
(2017-08-07, 15:54)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2017-08-07, 15:45)apachehaovk Wrote: At this point I am baffled why that matters. Lets try this. In PowerDVD, my Nvidia 640 seems to accelerate 8 bit H265. Seeing as there are a TON of wonderful video experts here on the Kodi forums, I was wondering if anyone knows why or have heard of pre 950 cards accelerating any 8-bit H265 video?

The log only matters if you want the answer to the question.

By all known specs, the hardware should not decode HEVC. You want to know how it is decoding HEVC. Inside the log is the details of how Kodi is decoding the video. You keep replying, reiterating your question, but arguing against supplying a log.

The answer is in the log. Period. If you don't want the answer, don't provide the log, but why keep asking the question if you don't want to provide the log?

Will do then!

Log will come up tonight when I get home! Thank you. I just didn't know if this was a common question or not or I was missing something major.

Lets see what the log tells us!

Thanks and report back soon!
@clamatac You post has been moved to your own thread https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=319574

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quick H265 playback question/confusion0