• 13(current)
4K / HDR content
Yes you can with XDR. When I release it try it. It actually makes HDR better but this is only my opinion. I'll put it out there and let everyone criticize it. To users over at redfox they see the potential for such a program. This whole project is about unlocked controls for HDR TVs and to show HDR on projectors. Also elimates the HDMI 2.0 ....can use 1.4. My last test was fate furious. Looked wonderful and almost exact to UHD disk . Madvr crushes blacks on HDR.
This may be good for someone who equates HDR with brightness.
I own UHD player and HDR TV and HDR card. It's hard convincing you guys that HDR is contrast and brightness. Either my TV is wrong or I'm right. In my 8 UHD test samples PC adjustments match UHD player dark and brightness. Anyway I'm heading back over to redfox. Good luck with HDR for the guys still having troubles getting it to show. Personally I've never cared for madvr from day 1. I'm sure there are many who love madvr. Some have HDR working perfect....others are only getting flat dull video. XDR fills that gap. Have a good day guys....
Appreciate your work. So far I am seeing reference to Windows players - does your code work on Linux?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Linux I'm not familiar with. The code would have to be change to write to Linux registry if that's what Linux uses. I don't even think .net is supported with Linux. Miscosoft visual studio does offer templates to program for Linux as well as c++. I'm sure a Linux coder could take my program and convert .net commands to work.
(2017-08-01, 02:28)Gereral1 Wrote: Yes you can with XDR. When I release it try it. It actually makes HDR better but this is only my opinion. I'll put it out there and let everyone criticize it. To users over at redfox they see the potential for such a program. This whole project is about unlocked controls for HDR TVs and to show HDR on projectors. Also elimates the HDMI 2.0 ....can use 1.4. My last test was fate furious. Looked wonderful and almost exact to UHD disk . Madvr crushes blacks on HDR.

So then release it
Fwiw, I get no crushed blacks using madVR or PowerDVD. The Movies & TV app leaves a little to be desired though. Judging by your video, I think your app fills a gap for non-HDR display users. It looks professional, straight forward and provides a ways to a means. I don't understand how a wider color gamut could be rendered on a limited display but at least an HDR title can be viewed without looking hazy grey. I'm not fond of the requirement to edit individual title settings into a .cal file but you have to do what you have to do. Not sure how that would go over with users unless they are enthusiasts. Perhaps one common player setting is 'close enough' and leave it at that, putting the player adjustments back to zeros at the end of playback? Not sure of the discrepancy between titles though? I still think it's a good contribution. Well done.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Thkyou. I have a uhd cal file that I use for uhd. Its a start file that can be tweaked. Ive got 10 bit 16bit float to pass to my hdr tv. Madvr has way to many peoblems. I made this for me because amd and madvr are horrible. No one else is making an efford to get hdr for amd users. Anyway 16 bit float show hdr brightness and shadow detail. I set my lav filters to no touch color and use 15-255. I can use0-250 as well. If i turn on bt2020 I leave tint at 0. Its looks identicle to uhd disk Im adding 10bit and lav settings to hdrcal so a user has complete control over everytging. The program is done. Im holding out till I add thise items. Maybe this looks weird to guys watching it on my demo video. Do this on hdr tv you will see real hdr once you try it. No point in trying to justify this . You guys can try it and then for the critics they will be surprised hdr does not revolve around madvr. You do know mircosoft apis use custom presenter for hdr! Lol
https://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2017/P4061
Hi Gereral1. This post isn't only for you and open for corrections by anyone.

I see you've released it. Your video looks appetizing. Ok, I'm using madVR passthrough as my renderer. So, the display makes the settings changes when HDR mode kicks in. I don't know, and don't have the knowledge to confirm if there are settings going on behind the scenes I don't know about? It seems to me those display settings (in HDR mode) always look the same, like it's just one generic default setting no matter what title is played. I look at my display settings during playback and they never change, title to title. I assume each title has custom settings and its metadata was applied accordingly telling my display to use those custom settings for that unique title. So, passing through avoids any software changes and hands the metadata to the display level untouched and lets the display calculate what to do. So, my common sense tells me I end up with one common setting for everything which defeats the entire purpose of custom presented titles via metadata. I have a decent 10bit HDR display. Either it simply doesn't do anything with metadata and just kicks up settings like contrast, backlight, and anything else 'calibrated' into memory when HDR mode enables, or I'm misunderstanding what HDR really is? I like the idea of having more control at the software level because their are many more settings that can be custom presented between titles vs my display settings.

I have a custom playercorefactory I need to retain. I see your app creates a new one or modifies an existing one. What happens to my original playercorefactory in the event I try XDR? I don't want to manually rename it or manually flip anything back and forth. In other words, can I use my existing playercorefactory at the same time so I can compare madVR with XDR during the same Kodi session, back to back video comparison?

Also, when creating a .cal, I noticed you said BT 709 required +12 to the right on HUE and Saturation. Does this mean BT 2020 would require 0 or -12 to the left? My display is 10bit. I assume I get a wider gamut using 10 vs 8 on this 10bit display. Or, will 8bit render the same gamut every bit as well?

Again, well done on the software. I just want to do some real world comparisons and see with my own eyes if I gain anything software tuning vs display tuning. I don't rule out HDR mode may not be all that and software may enhance beyond what HDR mode itself is doing. I'll let my eyes judge. Either it's the same, better, or worse. I like that this app can also enhance other formats and is not limited to HDR.

Fwiw, I understand anything I've written here could be waaaaay off. I'm no expert. I welcome any other discussion to educate myself and maybe others lurking not necessarily just related to XDR. This the 4k/HDR thread.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-08-07, 17:58)brazen1 Wrote: Hi Gereral1. This post isn't only for you and open for corrections by anyone.

I see you've released it. Your video looks appetizing. Ok, I'm using madVR passthrough as my renderer. So, the display makes the settings changes when HDR mode kicks in. I don't know, and don't have the knowledge to confirm if there are settings going on behind the scenes I don't know about? It seems to me those display settings (in HDR mode) always look the same, like it's just one generic default setting no matter what title is played. I look at my display settings during playback and they never change, title to title. I assume each title has custom settings and its metadata was applied accordingly telling my display to use those custom settings for that unique title. So, passing through avoids any software changes and hands the metadata to the display level untouched and lets the display calculate what to do. So, my common sense tells me I end up with one common setting for everything which defeats the entire purpose of custom presented titles via metadata. I have a decent 10bit HDR display. Either it simply doesn't do anything with metadata and just kicks up settings like contrast, backlight, and anything else 'calibrated' into memory when HDR mode enables, or I'm misunderstanding what HDR really is? I like the idea of having more control at the software level because their are many more settings that can be custom presented between titles vs my display settings.

I have a custom playercorefactory I need to retain. I see your app creates a new one or modifies an existing one. What happens to my original playercorefactory in the event I try XDR? I don't want to manually rename it or manually flip anything back and forth. In other words, can I use my existing playercorefactory at the same time so I can compare madVR with XDR during the same Kodi session, back to back video comparison?

Also, when creating a .cal, I noticed you said BT 709 required +12 to the right on HUE and Saturation. Does this mean BT 2020 would require 0 or -12 to the left? My display is 10bit. I assume I get a wider gamut using 10 vs 8 on this 10bit display. Or, will 8bit render the same gamut every bit as well?

Again, well done on the software. I just want to do some real world comparisons and see with my own eyes if I gain anything software tuning vs display tuning. I don't rule out HDR mode may not be all that and software may enhance beyond what HDR mode itself is doing. I'll let my eyes judge. Either it's the same, better, or worse. I like that this app can also enhance other formats and is not limited to HDR.

Fwiw, I understand anything I've written here could be waaaaay off. I'm no expert. I welcome any other discussion to educate myself and maybe others lurking not necessarily just related to XDR. This the 4k/HDR thread.

Thankyou for trying xdr. Anyway the tint is only changed if your monitor is set to bt709. If you set monitor to bt2020 leave tint at 0 but saturation can change for both

Bt2020 hue 0
Bt709 hue +12

As for your custom playercorefactory you can add the lines to your existing file. Launch xdr and turn on kodi. You original file you cherish will be renamed .bak open .bak and add all your settings to xml file created by xdr. You can add many more players and options. Google kodi playercorefactory to see how you can modify and add players and file types and other things. If you are not sure just copy your original file and back it up so you have an extra copy to play with.

I keep telling everyone this will not trigger hdr on tv but will look identicle as per my uhd real disks vs my uhd hardware player. If you adjust the levels too much you will ruin the movie. I made a video on how to use it inside the app Its time I take a break from this project as its taken up way to many hrs to perfect. Alot of tender loving care has gone into this app. Its totally free no strings attached. Asking for donation but you dont have to. Its totally up to the user who uses the app. But for me xdr really helps get that edge on Bluray, UHD and youtube videos that have hdr in them.

Madvr produces some nice hdr sdr conversions. Ive seen others get great results with Madvr. But there are many due to the type of cpu, gpu or motherboard are not able to get the same results with madvr. My pc is 8 years old and xdr allows me to enjoy hdr 4k material with an old computer. The money invested is really low to get uhd hdr. Kaby lake users can use poerdvd17 or try xdr. Nvidia are all using madvr and most likely wont use xdr. My last test sample fate and furious looked identicle in xdr with 10bit 16bit float set in mpcbe. Mind you my hdr tv can take these huge swings in contrast and brightness. I cant speak for older tvs. Will see how it holds up to projectors and 4k tvs that missed the hdr window before hdmi 1.4a went to 2.0a or 2.0b

Only time will tell.
(2017-08-01, 01:54)Gereral1 Wrote: Guess some now have a choice now.

Ahh, I see. Ok, has anyone found any filters better than madVR?
Maybe you misunderstood me. I haven't tried XDR yet. Yes, my display is set at BT2020 (HDR is enabled for that HDMI port). You answered one of my questions, BT2020 10bit would be set to 0 in a .cal. Great. Gives me a head start creating one. I really don't need to google playercorefactory. I've written many including the latest for 3 players two of which call .bats uniquely for 3D interactions as well as HDR directives and GPU commands relayed to O/S global settings. I just wanted to know if the existing one would work simultaneously with the one your app creates once mine is renamed and set aside. I had hoped it would integrate with an existing. Evidently it won't but maybe I can play with it. I understand your app does not trigger HDR mode, that adjustments are made at software level in the player. I thought I would make a .cal for a title and then compare playback with madVR. MadVR produces HDR SDR conversions using it's 3D LUT method. MadVR also simply passes through also. Passthrough is the method I'm currently using with Nvidia and a 10 year old PC. I just wanted to visually test the difference using madVR passthrough in HDR mode and XDR in SDR mode but without my playercorefactory to flip between the two in Kodi, it would be difficult since only XDR would be present.

On second thought, one could simply set options in MPC to use separate players, natively start HDR playback using madVR passthrough and pause it. Then custom adjust MPC to his hearts content on a 2nd instance of another MPC player and play it natively side by side with each other. These would be in windowed mode though and it wouldn't be fair to madVR since it would only pass 8bit windowed. Hmmmm? This wouldn't allow HDR mode to kick in using passthrough either. Maybe starting MPC, adjusting it as if I was setting up a .cal, leaving it open and starting another MPC player with madVR passthrough in FSE to allow HDR mode to enable, watch it and memorize details, and then close it to begin playback of the already adjusted 2nd instance of MPC and compare...... Need to think about it some.

(2017-08-07, 20:10)brazen1 Wrote: Maybe you misunderstood me. I haven't tried XDR yet. Yes, my display is set at BT2020 (HDR is enabled for that HDMI port). You answered one of my questions, BT2020 10bit would be set to 0 in a .cal. Great. Gives me a head start creating one. I really don't need to google playercorefactory. I've written many including the latest for 3 players two of which call .bats uniquely for 3D interactions as well as HDR directives and GPU commands relayed to O/S global settings. I just wanted to know if the existing one would work simultaneously with the one your app creates once mine is renamed and set aside. I had hoped it would integrate with an existing. Evidently it won't but maybe I can play with it. I understand your app does not trigger HDR mode, that adjustments are made at software level in the player. I thought I would make a .cal for a title and then compare playback with madVR. MadVR produces HDR SDR conversions using it's 3D LUT method. MadVR also simply passes through also. Passthrough is the method I'm currently using with Nvidia and a 10 year old PC. I just wanted to visually test the difference using madVR passthrough in HDR mode and XDR in SDR mode but without my playercorefactory to flip between the two in Kodi, it would be difficult since only XDR would be present.

it will integrate. just add this section to your existing code

<players>
<player name="Launch XDR MPC-BE 64 Bit" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\The Kodi HDR Project VER 2.0.0.0\XDRFE.EXE</filename>
<args>"{1}"</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>

The path <filename> must match the install folder of kdoi xdr project. That's it.

run madvr in mpchc and xdr in mpcbe at the same time (use xdrdesktop function to do this in desktop outside kodi to compare.
So, to be clear, if I all I need to do is add XDR as a 4th player to my existing playercorefactory, making sure it points to XDRFE.exe (once it gets put in the directory via your app), all 4 players will show in 'play using' including XDR? If so great. Comparisons are only a couple button clicks with no hassle. The player setting is going to change when XDR is used and revert to default when it's closed to allow madVR subsequent playback use default settings. Now I understand. TIA.

MPC HC and MPC BE at the same time from the desktop for testing one title is also a good idea. Then one can retain a simulated .cal setting without affecting the other.....

• 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K / HDR content1