• 82(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
Hi guys,
If I am getting a s905x mecool 2g/16g vs s905 Mini mx 2g/16g approximately for the same price, which one should I buy? Only to use Libreelec! Appreciate the advice..

Thank you.

Cheers,
Ron..
Have you checked if you need WiFi or Bluetooth ?

What about HDMI-CEC ?

How important is the remote ?

[quote='wrxtasy' pid='2633326' dateline='1502981919']
Have you checked if you need WiFi or Bluetooth ?
I have a network cable available. So wifi or no wifi doesn't matter. I don't know about BT would I need that for libreelec?

What about HDMI-CEC ?
Wouldn't mind that actually but does it work
In libreelec?

How important is the remote ?
Well if required I can always get a wireless remote.
If you do not need Optical - get the S905X MECOOL 2GB/16GB, simply because the IR Learning remote is pretty good for an IR specimen.
And HDMI-CEC has been confirmed working by myself.

Yeah I don't need optical as my receiver has hdmi. Also would I still need the wireless remote? And the 100M Ethernet port is that good enough to stream online? I get 90-92 Mbps speeed with the Ethernet cable...
(2017-08-17, 17:07)wrxtasy Wrote: If you do not need Optical - get the S905X MECOOL 2GB/16GB, simply because the IR Learning remote is pretty good for an IR specimen.
And HDMI-CEC has been confirmed working by myself.

Yeah I don't need optical as my receiver has hdmi. Also would I still need the wireless remote? And the 100M Ethernet port is that good enough for online streaming? I get 90-92 Mbps speeed with the Ethernet cable...
100M Ethernet is good even for 4K video streaming.

A Wireless remote is good if you do not want to point toward the media player box all the time when pressing buttons on the remote.

Depends on how you use the device.
Wireless remotes never miss remote control button pressings due to Infra Red line of sight issues.

(2017-08-17, 17:22)wrxtasy Wrote: 100M Ethernet is good even for 4K video streaming.

A Wireless remote is good if you do not want to point toward the media player box all the time when pressing buttons on the remote.

Depends on how you use the device.
Wireless remotes never miss remote control button pressings due to Infra Red line of sight issues.

Awesome thanks Wrxtasy. I will Oder the mecool box today itself from geekbuying with a wireless remote. I think it will be a good option to have and especially if I have to key in the words etc. I will be using the box purely for libreelec.Thanks again to clear the confusion..
Same question: Mecool M8S Pro+, or Mini M8S II?

It's just for libreelec, running on NAND, no need for wifi, BT, or HDMI-CEC. Also, I will be using an air mouse that I already have, so I don't care much about the included remote.

The Mini M8S II is slightly cheaper for the same memory configuration, and was my first choice, but I'm reading so many nice reviews about the Mecool that I'm starting to question my decision.
I would go for the Mecool M8S Pro+ if these 2 are the only ones that catch your eye. Dual booting is the way to go. If Mecool M8S Pro+ was available last year when I bought my first TV box, I would get it without hesitation. I know a few things now about TV boxes.

Little offopic: I have a HiMedia Q10 Pro and I am pretty satisfied with it as it is now with CFW 2.0.4. It is close to perfection from my point of view. If by any miracle HiMedia will get this box certified, then it would really be a killer device (I highly doubt it will ever be).
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2017-07-24, 08:29)wrxtasy Wrote: Really if you need cheap Android TV with proper DRM and HDCP there is no competition - buy a $69 Xiaomi Mi Box - which has the best Wireless remote on any ATV box.

I am working my way into this - and strongly considered the Xiaomi, but it doesn't have an ethernet port. My wifi isn't good enough. How would that change your view? With all the warnings, I'm leery of the cheap AM905/905x/912 boxes ... but ... have to be better than my MK808 Wink
I have FTMC/SPMC 16.x (Kodi Jarvis) dynamic refresh rate switching working on the MECOOL M8S Pro + for nice smooth video playback. Wink

I will post up a DIY workaround somewhere when I get time - likely over on the Freaktab website.

Only downside is HEVC video content has a annoying refresh re-switch problem when skipping about video during playback, exact same issue WeTek currently has with WeOS3.1 on Hub / Play2. (fixed with @Ricardo's ATV ROM's and patches on those devices)

(2017-08-18, 20:55)wrxtasy Wrote: I have FTMC/SPMC 16.x (Kodi Jarvis) dynamic refresh rate switching working on the MECOOL M8S Pro + for nice smooth video playback. Wink

I will post up a DIY workaround somewhere when I get time - likely over on the Freaktab website.

Only downside is HEVC video content has a annoying refresh re-switch problem when skipping about video during playback, exact same issue WeTek currently has with WeOS3.1 on Hub / Play2. (fixed with @Ricardo's ATV ROM's and patches on those devices)

Do you think this device will replace LibreELEC, so no dual booting?

Edit, FTMC does not give me an option for HD audio. The Kodi 17.3 from the Play Store, has HD audio.
This MeCool M8S Plus is about as close to perfection as you can get. One button brings up the Chrome web browser (typing on it now), another button takes me back to the home screen.

It plays Netflix in 1080P with DD+ and YouTube in 4K, my live TV streams play flawlessly, including the interlaced mpeg2 streams.

Kodi plays my BluRay rips perfectly with HD audio.

Edit: All this for $38 US, with free shipping.

Edit 2: Today it is $36.88 US with free shipping.
@clarkss12 - is that running android or libreelec?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 82(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6