[Release] Lifx Ambilight Addon for Kodi
Thought I'd revisit lifx control from kodi after toying with natelifx a while ago. Nice to come across this, much easier to work with and even better that it uses the LAN API rather than rely on the cloud.

Just thought I'd share something I came across.

Tried on one Windows machine, discovered my lights no problem.
Went to set it up on my media center (also Win) but for some reason wouldn't find my lights.
Turns out that although my PCs and lights are on a 10.x.x.x network, I had at some point added a secondary 192.x.x.x IP and it seems the addon was using that IP to scan for my lights. After removing all worked fine.

Hope this helps anyone in the same situation as me..

Might just add one thing I liked in natelifx was that it differentiated between a movie and tv show being played and allowed different settings for each. At the moment I have the minimum time set to 3600 seconds to disable dimming on tv shows, though it might be nice to be able to have a different dimming level set for tv shows rather than disabling.

Thanks for the addon nonetheless!
FYI, seems the latest firmware update 1.22 for Gen 2 bulbs breaks the discovery function of this addon. From the changelog guessing it's because "It also resolves a bug where some legacy messages were causing the light to reset." Still detects my original bulbs (haven't got any Gen 3 bulbs to test)

What are the chances of the addon being updated to work with the current lifxlan library I wonder. Will have to have a look through and see if it's easy enough to do.
Same problem here! Can you take a look at that please?

Thanls
Easy fix actually, just replace the lifxlan folder in addons\script.kodi.lifx.ambilight\resources\lib with the updated one from here.

If you're using Windows, you may run in to the same problem as I had though, where the new library can't discover anything, even old bulbs.
Is an issue with the broadcast address it uses, works for some, not for others.

Just needed to revert the change. If you have the same issue, in device.py change the line:

Code:
UDP_BROADCAST_IP = get_broadcast_addr()

to

Code:
UDP_BROADCAST_IP =  "255.255.255.255"
Hello. I'm thinking about buying LifX bulbs. I like to watch movies on my TV using Plex Media Player/Plex plugin for Kodi. So… My main question is: does this plugin work with Plex plugin?
Doesn't detect the LIFX mini bulbs.

I think there is a new API as a few aftermarket apps and such cannot detect them.

Hopefully an update is coming as I was looking forward to trying this out on my Minix.

Also tried doing the UDP_BROADCAST_IP fix but no difference. Keeps saying no bulbs detected.
To get this to detect the LIFX mini bulbs and other newer products:

Grab the updated products.py from here: https://github.com/mclarkk/lifxlan/tree/master/lifxlan

And use it to replace the copy in the add-on zip (..\resources\lib\lifxlan\products.py)

Don't grab the whole folder and overlay it, just the products.py file - there are other changes to the the lifxlan package that will cause the add-on to fail.  At the very least it now requires the python package netifaces which has C code that needs to be built.  Didn't feel like going down that road today, running this on my shield tv.

This does work, if a bit janky, on a current SPMC from the play store, and I assume Kodi 16/17.  Does not work at all on 18 nightlies.

Unfortunately, it looks like if a bulb doesn't acknowledge an update the add-on throws an exception and stops running.  This seems to happen pretty reliably after 10 - 20 mins of playback.  I quite like the bulbs so far, and this add-on seems like it could be amazing with a bit more attention.
Doesn't detect subgroup on version 1 of lifx bulbs. Is it possible to revert to the previous version?
HTPC homemade - BOX SilverStone Lascala LC17 - CPU Intel Core i3-3220T (2.8 GHz) - CM ASRock B75 Pro3 - HD Crucial M4 64 Go - CG ASUS GeForce GT 610 Low Profile 1 GB - RAM Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Blue Series 4 Go (2x2 Go) DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 - POWER Be Quiet! Power 7 400 W 80PLUS - REMOTE Harmony 650 - Frodo 12.2 XBMCbuntu Aeon-Nox 4.1.9 - MacPro 2010 - SMB
@bortek - Yes, it is possible to revert to any of the previous version - Just download the zip file from here - https://github.com/sanghviharshit/script...t/releases
You can also try the latest version which should have resolved all the existing issues
(2018-02-21, 23:10)thelemur Wrote: To get this to detect the LIFX mini bulbs and other newer products:

Grab the updated products.py from here: https://github.com/mclarkk/lifxlan/tree/master/lifxlan

And use it to replace the copy in the add-on zip (..\resources\lib\lifxlan\products.py)

Don't grab the whole folder and overlay it, just the products.py file - there are other changes to the the lifxlan package that will cause the add-on to fail.  At the very least it now requires the python package netifaces which has C code that needs to be built.  Didn't feel like going down that road today, running this on my shield tv.

This does work, if a bit janky, on a current SPMC from the play store, and I assume Kodi 16/17.  Does not work at all on 18 nightlies.

Unfortunately, it looks like if a bulb doesn't acknowledge an update the add-on throws an exception and stops running.  This seems to happen pretty reliably after 10 - 20 mins of playback.  I quite like the bulbs so far, and this add-on seems like it could be amazing with a bit more attention.
I updated the version of lifxlan in latest version but excluding the changes made to the lifxlan module to include netifaces module as I don't want the addon to be machine dependant. It should work with all current Lifx products.
(2017-09-20, 15:07)leugenea Wrote: Hello. I'm thinking about buying LifX bulbs. I like to watch movies on my TV using Plex Media Player/Plex plugin for Kodi. So… My main question is: does this plugin work with Plex plugin?
 I don't see a reason why it won't as long as you are using Kodi to play video
(2017-08-21, 02:58)bamzero Wrote: Easy fix actually, just replace the lifxlan folder in addons\script.kodi.lifx.ambilight\resources\lib with the updated one from here.

If you're using Windows, you may run in to the same problem as I had though, where the new library can't discover anything, even old bulbs.
Is an issue with the broadcast address it uses, works for some, not for others.

Just needed to revert the change. If you have the same issue, in device.py change the line:
Code:
UDP_BROADCAST_IP = get_broadcast_addr()

to
Code:
UDP_BROADCAST_IP = "255.255.255.255"
 Good find! Let me know if it's still an issue with the latest version of the addon, which uses latest verson of lifxlan and I will try to fix it in the addon
Does this work with Phillips hue at all? Or just Lfx?

Thanks
Intel NUC Haswell I3
Nvidia Shield
LibreECEC
Kodi - Leia
(2016-11-28, 19:43)turbodonkey Wrote: This is excellent! worked no problems. Thanks for an awesome & well made plugin! I've been looking for a decent lifx plugin on and off for over a year now...

I'd love to see an option for returning the lights (as they were) after a movie in ambilight mode, currently they just stay at the last colour & brightness from the movie...
 This is fixed in the latest version. cc: @Ruckus
(2016-12-29, 14:49)Bandito1980 Wrote: Great addon! However, the ambilight function does not seem to work with the new Lifx Z lightstrip.

Kind regards and thanks again for the great addon!
 It works with the Lifx Z now. Please update to the latest version. cc: @Slack8182

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Lifx Ambilight Addon for Kodi2