• 83(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2017-08-19, 02:16)clarkss12 Wrote: Edit: All this for $38 US, with free shipping.

Edit 2: Today it is $36.88 US with free shipping.
US29.99 with free shipping, got two. Geekbuying.com
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just be aware the MECOOL M8S Pro Plus Android TV Nougat 7.1 ROM, needed for 1080p Netflix has this as a footnote:

This has only been tested on the 2G/16G configuration.

(2017-08-19, 10:45)nickr Wrote: @clarkss12 - is that running android or libreelec?

Android
(2017-08-19, 10:53)nickr Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 02:16)clarkss12 Wrote: Edit: All this for $38 US, with free shipping.

Edit 2: Today it is $36.88 US with free shipping.
US29.99 with free shipping, got two. Geekbuying.com

I have not tried the 1/8 version. Let us know how it performs.
Damn I didn't notice, too quick to grab what I thought was a good deal. I'll try and cancel/reorder. Thanks for drawing my idiocy to my attention. D'oh.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Wait a sec.
This MECOOL M8S PRO Plus (with S905x) is also capable of HDR & 10bit mkv files (thats why i dont buy the Odroid C2)?
It has fast 16gb NAND memory right (comparable to eMMC)?

What I dont need:
- I dont care for any DRM media (Netflix, Prime)
- no Blutooth
- no fast WLAN

What I need is:
- HMDI CEC
- LAN
- pure Libreelec / Kodi (is that possible? What option would I need to select in the libreelec installation tool?)

On paper this looks like a really good option for me?
C2 has the best HDMI-CEC of all the AMLogic devices because custom modification of the bootloader has been done by the LibreELEC developers.
This is because its the only AMLogic device I know of that the LE developers have had access to the bootloader source code.

C2 is also the only AML device that can be overclocked and also remain stable, due to that dirty great big heatsink.

MECOOL M8S PRO Plus is S905x = 100M Ethernet
C2 is S905 = Gigabit Ethernet.

MECOOL M8S PRO Plus = hardware decode of up to 4K 10bit HEVC & VP9 + experimental HDR support.
C2 = hardware decode of up to 4K 10bit HEVC

The MECOOL M8S PRO Plus works fine running LE from a microSDHC card, but just be aware it is not as good as the C2 for HDMI-CEC and LAN.

So basically work out what features you will actually use all the time and are the most important.

What does "best HDMI-CEC" mean?
CEC for me = am I able to navigate through the menu with my TV remote. Nothing fancy.

Why would I want a microSD Card? Isnt there integtated 8GB NAND memory?

I just go around in circles... I even have a full set Odroid C2 + eMMC etc at home. Just dont want to open it until I am sure ... somehow I dont want to miss the possibility to play HDR files.
To bad theres not one device that offers everything.

Still ... guess I will go for a S905x. Just now deciding either a cheap china box (f.e. the M8s Pro Plus) or one with good support (Vero 4K).
(2017-08-16, 16:53)clarkss12 Wrote: For those that are interested in the MeCool M8S Pro Plus (make sure it is the Plus version S905x), I made a quick video showing the capabilities of if using Mangendanz's ATV port. And yes, it really does play Netflix in 1080P with Dolby Digital +, also YouTube in 4K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiHwhBrFiK4&t=494s

I have never had a android box and I thought to buy the Beelink MXiii ii but after your post I think the MeCool M8S Pro Plus is better not ?

I want to buy the MeCool M8S Pro Plus from geekbuying and have few questions before buying it:

does it support dts hd and dolby truehd in the android kodi and the LE kodi ?

Do you advise to buy the bundele with the rii 8i remote and do they(geekbuying) make the rii 8i with any languge you want? Do the rii 8i is the wirless remote that all talking about?

For dual boot you do you need to reinstall the andriod and install bootloader? Or the android 7.1 and a dual boot bootloder come burn with the device? and you only need to put a sd card with LE image and it will automatically asked you which to load (the android or the LE) every time you turn it on ?
(2017-08-21, 12:14)dadaii Wrote: I want to buy the MeCool M8S Pro Plus from geekbuying and have few questions before buying it:

does it support dts hd and dolby truehd in the android kodi and the LE kodi ?

Yes in both Android and LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. AMLogic Android Nougat 7.1 Firmware has support for Krypton IEC61937 HD Audio passthrough.

Quote:Do you advise to buy the bundle with the rii 8i remote and do they(geekbuying) make the rii 8i with any language you want? Do the rii 8i is the wireless remote that all talking about?
I personally use a MINIX A2 lite with a number of devices when testing. That one is Plug n Play. No idea about the Rii 8i or Tronsmart Wireless remotes Geekbuying are bundling.

The included IR remote actually works pretty well.

Quote:For dual boot you do you need to reinstall the andriod and install bootloader? Or the android 7.1 and a dual boot bootloder come burn with the device? and you only need to put a sd card with LE image and it will automatically asked you which to load (the android or the LE) every time you turn it on ?
LE runs entirely from a micro SDHC card. Internal Android is untouched when using a Dual Boot configuration. Yes LE boots up every time you reboot if the microSDHC card is inserted. From the LE Kodi Power Menu you select "Reboot to Internal" for an Android reboot.

The S905x MECOOL 2GB/16GB is the Spec needed for the ATV ROM.

Yes in both Android and LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. AMLogic Android Nougat 7.1 Firmware has support for Krypton IEC61937 HD Audio passthrough.

[/quote]

so if both the Android and LibreELEC support for HD Audio passthrough. why it is necessary to have a dual boot device(why not only the android) ?

tySmile
The gap is narrowing each year between Android Kodi and LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, but Android still gets in the way.

For AMLogic devices there is better Audio and Video video playback compatibility across a broad range of video compression formats with LE.

Stuff like Krypton PVR's work reliably in LE along with Kodi Dynamic refresh switching.
Auto 1080p/4K Resolution switching works on LE which 99% of Android devices cannot do.

You also get TV Tuner and PVR server options when running LE and much better Network, OpenVPN and Samba server support out of the box.
Basically with LE you avoid a bunch of Android OS limitations that just get in the way if all you want to do is run Kodi.

LE is highly optimised for each specific Chipset used and is designed to run Kodi as fast and bug free as possible in a stable minimal Linux environment. Android is a multipurpose OS and Kodi on that OS is not optimised for the hardware it is running on.

(2017-08-21, 13:05)wrxtasy Wrote: The gap is narrowing each year between Android Kodi and LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, but Android still gets in the way.

For AMLogic devices there is better Audio and Video video playback compatibility across a broad range of video compression formats with LE.

Stuff like Krypton PVR's work reliably in LE along with Kodi Dynamic refresh switching.
Auto 1080p/4K Resolution switching works on LE which 99% of Android devices cannot do.

You also get TV Tuner and PVR server options when running LE and much better Network, OpenVPN and Samba server support out of the box.
Basically with LE you avoid a bunch of Android OS limitations that just get in the way if all you want to do is run Kodi.

LE is highly optimised for each specific Chipset used and is designed to run Kodi as fast and bug free as possible in a stable minimal Linux environment. Android is a multipurpose OS and Kodi on that OS is not optimised for the hardware it is running on.

Xuemi Mi BOX can do Auto 1080p/4K Resolution switching on the Android ? This is the most different between both devices that important to me. I thought about the MI BOX becuase it compatible to israel internet content providers and hebrew languge. Do you know if the MeCool M8S Pro Plus support that too ?

tySmile
(2017-08-21, 14:45)dadaii Wrote: Xiaomi Mi BOX can do Auto 1080p/4K Resolution switching on the Android ?

No it cannot do either of them. No Kodi auto refresh switching and no auto resolution switching.

Quote:This is the most different between both devices that important to me. I thought about the MI BOX because it compatible to israel internet content providers and hebrew language. Do you know if the MeCool M8S Pro Plus support that too ?

If you ran LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on the MECOOL, it will support Hebrew as well as Auto refresh/resolution switching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodi_(software)

Hebrew is supported in Android Nougat from Brief research (click)

Is it true that Mecool M8S Pro+ only decodes 4K@30fps? It has HDMI 2.0 but I saw the following on the product page:

"Support hardware decoding H.265"

"VP9 Profile 2 / H.264 4K@30fps/ AVS+ 1080P@60fps"

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_656047.html
(Scroll down to the middle of the page and you'll see that)
  • 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6