• 4(current)
Win Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC
Thanks. Good to know it will do high bitrate HEVC. HDR probably won't have any impact. But, since Kodi doesn't do HDR and madVR does (added externally seamless) 2GB of vRAM probably isn't sufficient. Netflix won't even stream HDR to 2GB but depending on a users needs it's still decent for its price point. Some users may find the economics for popping in an entry level card in that old PC vs multiple streaming boxes a consideration. Just thinking the cheapest option, an RPI, can't do 4k or HDR so it's kinda' losing ground imo. A sub $100 GPU can do everything except maybe HDR via madVR at low settings. (just needs to passthrough) Need a confirmation yes or no from someone trustworthy who uses madVR and HDR hardware or send me a card and I'll test the @%!& out of it.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
It seems that this card might struggle with 4k@60 HDR, below that level it's ok.
Someone's in doom9 forum tested it
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p...ost1814637
Question: If I have a 1030 Card and run a Linux HTPC box with Ubuntu LTS, no LibreElec, I would just need to upgrade to the latest NVIDIA drivers (probably 384.59) and Kodi 17 should be able to hardware decode hevc (using VDPAU), correct?

Thanks,
o_neill
There's probably no technical reason that you need at least 3GB VRAM for Netflix 4K. Let's hope they do away with that requirement down the road. Of course you could always buy the fanless Palit Gtx1050ti 4GB.. you will sure have a larger headroom when it comes to madVR processing, or you could just wait a little for Coffee Lake and native HDMI 2.0(x) if you don't need to use MadVR..

Damn, we thought Skylake was gonna be it, but then it didn't support hardware hevc10. Then came Kaby Lake..but that didn't support native HDMI 2.0 and requiring the buggy internal DP/HDMI2.0 adapter, and besides various NUCs, that adapter was only included on ASRock Fatal1ty motherboards..

Of course Coffe Lake isn't going to be the final solution either. We're going to have to wait until the next tick (or tock) and new TV's that will support HDMI 2.1(x), which will finally give use 10/12bit RGB@4K60, simplifying all sort of things..
(2017-08-22, 23:08)o_neill Wrote: Question: If I have a 1030 Card and run a Linux HTPC box with Ubuntu LTS, no LibreElec, I would just need to upgrade to the latest NVIDIA drivers (probably 384.59) and Kodi 17 should be able to hardware decode hevc (using VDPAU), correct?

Thanks,
o_neill

Ive tried to use 1030 with LibreElec (latest nightly build with 1030 Support) but suddenly it wont work - VDPAU is checked, but the hardware decoding is not working, CPU is almost always at 100%, video stutters. When im pressing "O" it shows me "Video decodec: ff-hevc (SW)".
In Windows with DXVA2 it works like a charm.
(2017-08-22, 23:08)o_neill Wrote: Question: If I have a 1030 Card and run a Linux HTPC box with Ubuntu LTS, no LibreElec, I would just need to upgrade to the latest NVIDIA drivers (probably 384.59) and Kodi 17 should be able to hardware decode hevc (using VDPAU), correct?

Thanks,
o_neill
As long as you watch 8bit video, you're safe. Nvidia drivers in LInux do not support 10bit.

(2017-08-24, 08:39)r0mbus Wrote: but suddenly it wont work - VDPAU is checked, but the hardware decoding is not working, CPU is almost always at 100%, video stutters.

Please post your debug log (wiki) while playing one of your videos that provokes this behaviour.

Do you get this behaviour with all videos (1080p, 4K/8bit etc.) or just 4K/10bit videos (as HW acceleration is not supported for 4K/10bit)?

Can you determine which is the first build with this behaviour? The last couple of builds (#0822 and #0823) have included a new 384.69 Nvidia driver, so try #0821 which has the previous 384.59 driver version.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2017-08-24, 08:39)r0mbus Wrote:

Thanks,
o_neill

Ive tried to use 1030 with LibreElec (latest nightly build with 1030 Support) but suddenly it wont work - VDPAU is checked, but the hardware decoding is not working, CPU is almost always at 100%, video stutters. When im pressing "O" it shows me "Video decodec: ff-hevc (SW)".
In Windows with DXVA2 it works like a charm.

What does MediaInfo report about the source video? If it is 10 bit then it won't have VDPAU hardware acceleration in Linux - nVidia Linux HEVC decode support is 8-bit only at the moment.
What can we do to make the 10bit hevc linux driver issue somewhat of an priority for nvidia? Collectively ask them to proper drivers?
Perhaps we can ask the latest Powerball winner (won some $ 750 million...) to hire a couple of Nvidia developers for us, and solve that tiny issue.
(2017-08-24, 10:12)Milhouse Wrote:
(2017-08-24, 08:39)r0mbus Wrote: but suddenly it wont work - VDPAU is checked, but the hardware decoding is not working, CPU is almost always at 100%, video stutters.

Please post your debug log (wiki) while playing one of your videos that provokes this behaviour.

Do you get this behaviour with all videos (1080p, 4K/8bit etc.) or just 4K/10bit videos (as HW acceleration is not supported for 4K/10bit)?

Can you determine which is the first build with this behaviour? The last couple of builds (#0822 and #0823) have included a new 384.69 Nvidia driver, so try #0821 which has the previous 384.59 driver version.

Its my mistake - all videos are 4K/10bit.

Quote:(as HW acceleration is not supported for 4K/10bit)
In LibreElec only or in Windows aswell?
Nvidia Linux is not supporting 10bit, Nvidia Windows is.
I am inquiring nvidia trough facebook, asking them if there's an eta in resolving this matter. Maybe if we all do this, things will change...
(2017-08-25, 22:10)dipswitch Wrote: I am inquiring nvidia trough facebook, asking them if there's an eta in resolving this matter. Maybe if we all do this, things will change...

Suspect UHD Blu-ray and Netflix are the driving force for Windows 10-bit compatibility - not sure there is as big a commercial imperative for Linux sadly... (c.f. interlaced VC-1 on Intel under Linux...)
(2017-08-25, 22:21)noggin Wrote:
(2017-08-25, 22:10)dipswitch Wrote: I am inquiring nvidia trough facebook, asking them if there's an eta in resolving this matter. Maybe if we all do this, things will change...

Suspect UHD Blu-ray and Netflix are the driving force for Windows 10-bit compatibility - not sure there is as big a commercial imperative for Linux sadly... (c.f. interlaced VC-1 on Intel under Linux...)

No harm in asking them?? We cant know if perhaps these same gpu's are used in other products in one way or another. The days of nvidia making videocards only are long gone. They're actively involed in car electronics, gpgpu applications, settopboxes, game consoles, and so on. I dont think nvidia vehicle computers run windows 10 Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC2