• 57(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2017-08-25, 14:51)Jeffers24 Wrote: Which launcher would you recommend for android box?

Not sure what you're asking. You can't replace the launcher on Android TV devices. If you're asking about boxes running Android mobile, I don't have a recommendation and it is off topic for this thread.

Edit: Also, just FYI for everyone, AFTVNews has mad their Downloader app available for Android TV https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...downloader if you need a way to download and sideload apps. It is limited right now since Google forced them to remove the web browser, but they are working on a solution for that.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hey all,

Something got worse recently - if I am navigating a music file system (over SMB network) while playing music from there, I dependably get serious stutters if I just press 'down' a bunch of times, e.g. scroll through the contents of the folder for a while.

I'm using Kodi from the Android Store on Shield 2015, wired network, so all pretty standard.

Best guess this changed 2-3 weeks ago.

What happened?

-M
System: Kodi on NVidia Shield 2015
Video: Panasonic AE3000 Projector / Samsung 46" LCD
Audio: Quad 2912 on Nord DM500Up with Marantz 7010 receiver.
The Music stuttering is a known issue, and I believe it is already fixed in Kodi 18 (but you should verify in the Music section of this forum).
(2017-08-25, 16:53)Powerhouse Wrote: The Music stuttering is a known issue, and I believe it is already fixed in Kodi 18 (but you should verify in the Music section of this forum).

Ah okay, strange that I only noticed it recently then.. I guess you don't always notice things immediately..
(2017-08-25, 15:26)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-08-25, 14:51)Jeffers24 Wrote: Which launcher would you recommend for android box?

Not sure what you're asking. You can't replace the launcher on Android TV devices. If you're asking about boxes running Android mobile, I don't have a recommendation and it is off topic for this thread.

Edit: Also, just FYI for everyone, AFTVNews has mad their Downloader app available for Android TV https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...downloader if you need a way to download and sideload apps. It is limited right now since Google forced them to remove the web browser, but they are working on a solution for that.

NPs, just followed up your file explorer post and thought you may have a favourite launcher
(2017-08-25, 19:22)Jeffers24 Wrote: NPs, just followed up your file explorer post and thought you may have a favourite launcher

Nope, I don't stay in the launcher long enough have a favorite, nor do I see any need to use anything other than Leanback. To me it's like asking which is your favorite lighter fluid. As long as it burns and gets the charcoal red hot it's good enough for me. Wink

As for file explorers, I'm pretty much the same way, I don't have a favorite but I do have a least favorite and that's because EX is messed up.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-08-25, 14:33)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-08-25, 09:08)nicnic999 Wrote: I have Nvidaia Shield 2017.
Kodi can't find my external Seagate 1TB hdd.
I can access it from EX file explorer and play all contents.
Default it's formated in exFAT but I have also tried NTFS and FAT32 (to be also to format in FAT32 I had to use an external programe)

My external 500GB HDD in FAT32 is recognized without problem!

Any idea?

Get rid of EX File Explorer, it will cause your external drive to unmount, not to mention it's just bloatware. EX may be able to see the drive but every other app will not.

If you need a file explorer use X-PLORE.
Thanks, that solved it !!!
(2017-08-25, 14:33)Tinwarble Wrote: Get rid of EX File Explorer, it will cause your external drive to unmount

Arf, didn't know it has become THAT bad...
I cant choose between the Minix Neo U9-H and Nvida Shield.
Has the Nvidia Shield also got a good WIFI-connection? That i just can stream movies with my 200 mbit wifi connection when im one floor above my router. Is the range good?
The Shield has 802.11AC dual band 2.4/5Hz Wi-Fi.

But you shouldn't be using Wi-Fi to stream on ANY box. No one knows what your environment is so no one can say if you'll have issues or not. There are to many variables that can interfere with your wireless signal.
Has anyone noticed that shield occasionally just BAM shuts down completely? Power off? Often in the middle of playing a video? Just now I was playing a video with Kodi, but it doesn't sound like Kodi's fault - surely even if Kodi is bad code it shouldn't kill the device?
Nope, never had any of my Shields randomly shutdown.
Me neither, maybe it gets too hot?
LG 77G1 • Onkyo TX-RZ70 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i A:QI65C • 2x BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Vero V (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) • Sony UBP-X800M2 • Sony PlayStation 5
I've got 3 Shield TVs.

The 2 that are set to 4K reboot randomly from time to time. It's not only when watching Kodi. It can happen watching Netflix as well.

The one set to 1080p never reboots.
(2017-09-01, 00:09)puntloos Wrote: Has anyone noticed that shield occasionally just BAM shuts down completely? Power off? Often in the middle of playing a video? Just now I was playing a video with Kodi, but it doesn't sound like Kodi's fault - surely even if Kodi is bad code it shouldn't kill the device?

Yes it happens to me as well and we are not the only ones. Shield shuts down while watching something in Kodi.

There are alot of others with the issue too on the nvidia forum... and there is an alarming number of people who say this started to happen with Kodi 17 and it never happened with 16.

The shut down seems to be completely random... except that it only happens while using Kodi 17... other people have issues with reboots while doing anything with the shield... but the shut downs without immediate reboot (shield can only be activated by using the touch power button on the shield) mostly seem to be related with Kodi usuage.
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188