• 143(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Just one question, as I plan to buy myself a nvidia shield. Is there any auto-framerate switching going on with the netflix or amazon video app? I know in SPMC it´s no problem (exept this weird 25fps bug). I´m just not quite sure if it does work in certain applications.

My setup: future streaming box (rpi 3 for now) -> denon avr 1713 (hdmi 1.4) -> philips 7404H (hdmi 1.3)
Only Android boxes that have proper working Android Kodi Krypton / Plex dynamic refresh switching are the NVIDIA Shield, MINIX U9 and WeTek Hub / Play2. Switching works in those two Apps only.

Any other Android Apps need to have Android System Screen Resolution switched manually before hand. A bunch of people use the TVHZ App to do this quickly instead of navigating to Android Screen Resolution settings every time.

Any 25fps Euro, NZ, UK or Oz users want to comment on this NVIDIA Shield Bug ?

25hz content @50hz unwatchable on (NVIDIA) Shield TV

(2017-09-21, 03:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Only Android boxes that have proper working Android Kodi Krypton / Plex dynamic refresh switching are the NVIDIA Shield, MINIX U9 and WeTek Hub / Play2. Switching works in those two Apps only.
What about MrMC, Archos Video Player & Vimu Media Player?
Please tell us about them then and correct me if I'm wrong ?

I only picked the two most popular media player Apps.

Quote:and a really nice $11 Xiaomi BT remote

Any pointers to this particular remote @wrxtasy?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes HERE

I still need to get the KEY_COMPOSE (context) button working that is proving stubborn on Xiaomi aftermarket BT remote.
The original Mi Box (USA Spec) BT remote works like a champ !

Thanks Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-09-21, 06:41)wrxtasy Wrote: Please tell us about them then and correct me if I'm wrong ?

I only picked the two most popular media player Apps.

All of them support refresh rate switching. Vimu also supports resolution switching on Android 6.0+ and FireTV2 (but it works only on FireTV2). MrMC also supports resolution switching on FireTV2. So does SPMC.
MOD EDIT

Dunno if this is relevant but after updating firmware on this box(easy OTA): Kodi Pirate Box link removed and changing some options(which i can share) i have perfect 1080p/24 playback.
@Bmn2016
on kodi and netflix/amazon video as well? that would be really really nice but i guess there are some limitations with these boxes... Such as the SoC, bad firmware, etc..
Can you tell us little closer, what about 1080p/25, 1080p 23,97?

And, can this little thing play hd-audio formats such as dts-ma or dolby true-hd?

By the way: I have serious thoughts on buying a M8500 BD-Player just for video streaming (netflix/amazon video), since this device in one of the very rare which can switch the refresh rate correctly according to the media source. (At least proper 23,97, 50 and 60 fps, don´t know about 25, 29,97, etc)..

Well, yeah, this refresh issues driving me crazy. ^^
(2017-09-21, 23:06)maskedrider Wrote: Can you tell us little closer, what about 1080p/25, 1080p 23,97?

99% movies and tv shows i download are 23.976 x264 or x264 so i can't tell for sure but i think where will be no problem. As for netflix amazon i'd need an account to test that. As for audio i use digital output to my DAC and then to 2.1 setup. HW acceleration is working 100%. The CPU usage is like 40% on 1080p x264 content.
(2017-09-21, 23:06)maskedrider Wrote: On kodi and Netflix/Amazon video as well? that would be really really nice but i guess there are some limitations with these boxes... Such as the SoC, bad firmware, etc..

For Post #1 these are the only boxes that will give you 1080p or 4K Netflix/Amazon:

1080p/4K Netflix and Amazon Video streaming

Q. I need a Kodi box that can play 1080p or 4K DRM copy protected video streams such as Netflix, HBO etc. ?
NOTE: Unless you have a HDMI connected Dolby Digital Plus Audio receiver, expect 2.0 Audio only from DD+ DRM streaming Apps running on Android TV platforms. Only very specific devices, noted below can run the Amazon Video App properly.

1080p/4K Android Netflix / Amazon Video is only possible on media players boxes that include Widevine L1 & HDCP 1.x/2.2 support in device Firmware.
  • NVIDIA Shield (4K HDR Netflix / 4K HDR Amazon Video)
  • Xiaomi Mi Box (4K Netflix - no HDR)
  • Amazon Stick/FTV1 + FTV2 (4K) (Amazon Video)
  • Intel / AMD x86-64 computers with GeForce GT 1030 or later Nvidia graphics card solution running Win10, using either dedicated Apps or a Web Browser.
  • WeTek's Core (1080p touchscreen Netflix, audio is 2.0 only)
  • WeTek Hub & Play2** (4K Netflix with ATV ROM)
  • ** ATV Netflix on Play2 also allows 5.1 Audio via SPDIF, joining the Amazon FireTV1 that can also do this.
  • Apple TV4 & 4K TV5
  • MECOOL M8S Pro + (S905X) (1080p Netflix with 3rd party Android TV Firmware)

Anything else will only give you 480p Netflix and you will not even be able to install the Netflix App from the Playstore. Working 1080p Amazon Video is even rarer, and limited to FireTV boxes and the Shield.

Quote:And, can this little thing play hd-audio formats such as dts-ma or dolby true-hd?
NO

99% of cheap AMLogic boxes running AMLogic Android Marshmallow Firmware are the worst possible combo you can buy.

They will have:

NO DTS or HD Audio passthrough
Broken Kodi Krypton Refresh switching
No 720/1080p/4K Netflix or Amazon Video
Darker than normal picture outputs with AML S905X/S912 due to buggy Firmware
Usually poor WiFi

People usually buy those boxes and run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on them entirely from an external microSDHC card.
That way virtually everything then works properly for Kodi.

If you do not need Android Kodi refresh switching for ultrasmooth video playback the Xiaomi Mi Box (USA Spec model MDZ-16-AB) is far superior to ALL the budget AMLogic Marshmallow / Nougat boxes on the market.

Only Android boxes that have proper working Android Kodi Krypton dynamic refresh switching for ulrasmooth video playback are the NVIDIA Shield, MINIX U9 and WeTek Hub / Play2.
The Amazon FireTV's cannot output 23.976fps for smooth 24p video playback. (busted since a recent Firmware update)

Hi guys, reading this incredible useful thread i think i will buy the Mecool Me86 Pro +.

I hope that Amazon Prime tv will work without big problems

I'm no so expert in "hacking", so i ask if there is a simple tutorial to install Libreelec on it....

Thanks
Ale
Amazon Prime will NOT work properly without problems on anything other than Amazon Hardware or the NVIDIA Shield.

You are buying the completely wrong hardware.

(2017-09-23, 10:29)wrxtasy Wrote: Amazon Prime will NOT work properly without problems on anything other than Amazon Hardware or the NVIDIA Shield.

You are buying the completely wrong hardware.
Ok it means I will send from phone to TV.

I just see the new Mecool ME86 Pro L 4k on GearBest, it seems that has the L1 for Netflix HD

Do you know it?

Thanks
Ale
  • 143(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28