• 10(current)
WIP RetroPlayer UI Design | UI/UX Disussion | Help Needed
(2017-09-25, 16:17)garbear Wrote:
(2017-09-25, 10:52)Jeroen Wrote: So maybe it's an idea to have a sort of base icon per platform and use a combination of the platform's primary branding color(s) and a picture of the system, and then add the name of the emulator to it.
Anyway, just thinking out loud at the moment, I will look into making a couple of examples and post them here asap.

A picture of the system is a good idea and scales much better than icons for each emulator, especially given that most emulators are just source code and aren't marketed with an icon/logo.

I do like the few individual icons we currently have, I feel like it respects the branding that authors have put into their product and adds some individuality to our sea of emulators.

Sure, I will keep them individual where possible. I'll try to post some concepts of branded and unbranded icons soon. But maybe it's better if I post them in the Retroplayer subforum though?
(2017-09-25, 17:55)Jeroen Wrote: But maybe it's better if I post them in the Retroplayer subforum though?

Go for it.
(2017-09-25, 17:55)Jeroen Wrote: Sure, I will keep them individual where possible. I'll try to post some concepts of branded and unbranded icons soon. But maybe it's better if I post them in the Retroplayer subforum though?
The images could go in GUI-image addons then Smile and everyone can use it
Looking forward to see them
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
@garbear: another thing, I have some ideas I would like to try out in the game window which would require me to get the video mode that is selected in an infolabel. Is there one, or could that be added?
Do you mean View Mode? What would be the value of the infolabel, the localized name of the view mode?
He means "Video mode".
I can think of
- VideoMode of Kodi -> e.g. "720p"
- VideoMode of the game -> e.g. PAL/NTSC
- VideoMode of the selected core
- AspectRatio of the game/core
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
(2017-09-28, 18:37)Solo0815 Wrote: - VideoMode of Kodi -> e.g. "720p"

"720p" doesn't make much sense for games. What's the video mode of an atari 2600? The "p" is clearly unnecessary, as games don't interlace their video.

(2017-09-28, 18:37)Solo0815 Wrote: - VideoMode of the game -> e.g. PAL/NTSC

What's the video mode of a game that targets a monitor? Neither the PAL not NTSC are used for DOS games. Also, while this can sometimes be parsed from the ROM directly, how otherwise can we determine the video mode?

(2017-09-28, 18:37)Solo0815 Wrote: - VideoMode of the selected core

We abstract the fact that cores are used. Our goal is a game-first experience. The fact that games are emulated is hidden from the user. Otherwise, our product is unapproachable for people that don't understand emulation (think 11-year-olds).

Nintendo didn't market the NES classic as an emulator, even though that's what it is. You could use the NES classic without understanding emulation.

Instead of cores, we use platforms.

(2017-09-28, 18:37)Solo0815 Wrote: - AspectRatio of the game/core

This should be easy to expose once known. The only challenge is that AR is only known once a game is loaded by a core. Also, what's the relevance of AR when the user can trivially change it from the game OSD settings?

In summary, it sounds like you're asking about info that applies to video, but seems unnecessary, inapplicable or unknowable when dealing with games. Can you better explain which infolabels you want?
I wasn't asking for info. I only tried to point you to the right direction what Jeroen wanted Wink
You thought "View mode", he asked for "VideoMode" Cool
But thx for the explanation anyway
From your explanation, it sounds like video mode refers to a bunch of things. @Jeroen can you be more specific as to which info you'd like exposed and give examples?
(2017-09-28, 18:22)garbear Wrote: Do you mean View Mode? What would be the value of the infolabel, the localized name of the view mode?

Yeah, meant to say view mode sorry for the confusion. Basically I would want to know what the view mode is currently set to. No need for a localized string, in fact preferably not as it would be used for visibility conditions and other logic. So just spitting out either 4:3, 16:9, normal and original

For example I would want to say

Code:
<visible>String.IsEqual(GameViewMode,4:3)</visible>

or

Code:
<variable name="GameWindowStuff">
    <value condition="String.IsEqual(GameViewMode,16:9)">DoThis</value>
    <value>DoThat</value>
</variable>

This for example would allow for different OSD layouts based on what areas of the screen are not taken by the gameplay and/or position elements in a different way.
Sure, I can implement this. Let's decide on what the strings should be. How about:
  • normal
  • 4:3
  • 16:9
  • nonlinear (16:9 nonlinear stretch is not implemented currently, is this something we want for games?)
  • original

Is anything like this already done for video?
(2017-09-13, 20:36)Jeroen Wrote: It would be great if the video filter and view mode windows could set ID1 to contain the window names (ID1 is the standard control to set the window name to). For example, see the "header_id" param in DialogSelect.xml.

Also, in the videoplayer pressing M/Menu will bring up the OSD, pressing M/Menu again will hide the OSD. With retroplayer, pressing M/Menu a second time will not hide the OSD, pressing ESC/Exit is needed to close it. For consistency and convenience this should be the same.

These changes have been added to PR12852.
(2017-09-28, 23:32)garbear Wrote: Sure, I can implement this. Let's decide on what the strings should be. How about:
  • normal
  • nonlinear (16:9 nonlinear stretch is not implemented currently, is this something we want for games?)
  • original

Yeah, VideoPlayer.VideoAspect is comparable I guess, which outputs 1.33, 1.37, 1.66, 1.78, 1.85, 2.20, 2.35, 2.40, 2.55 or 2.76

Probably best to have consistency and use the applicable ones for games too. Also my example for the infolabel name should also be more in line with video, something like GamePlayer.ViewMode ?

about 16:9 nonlinear stretch, that would be like a wide zoom right? Can't say I have a need for it, but that's just me.
(2017-09-29, 00:33)garbear Wrote:
(2017-09-13, 20:36)Jeroen Wrote: It would be great if the video filter and view mode windows could set ID1 to contain the window names (ID1 is the standard control to set the window name to). For example, see the "header_id" param in DialogSelect.xml.

Also, in the videoplayer pressing M/Menu will bring up the OSD, pressing M/Menu again will hide the OSD. With retroplayer, pressing M/Menu a second time will not hide the OSD, pressing ESC/Exit is needed to close it. For consistency and convenience this should be the same.

Excellent, thanks a lot!
(2017-09-29, 01:46)Jeroen Wrote:
(2017-09-29, 00:33)garbear Wrote:

Excellent, thanks a lot!

PR12852 was merged two days ago. I'll include it in my test builds tonight.

(2017-09-29, 01:45)Jeroen Wrote:
(2017-09-28, 23:32)garbear Wrote: Sure, I can implement this. Let's decide on what the strings should be. How about:
  • normal
  • original

Yeah, VideoPlayer.VideoAspect is comparable I guess, which outputs 1.33, 1.37, 1.66, 1.78, 1.85, 2.20, 2.35, 2.40, 2.55 or 2.76

Probably best to have consistency and use the applicable ones for games too. Also my example for the infolabel name should also be more in line with video, something like GamePlayer.ViewMode ?

about 16:9 nonlinear stretch, that would be like a wide zoom right? Can't say I have a need for it, but that's just me.

I've added the RetroPlayer.ViewMode infolabel in commit 1b496246. The values are:
  •  normal
  •  4:3
  • nonlinear
  • original
Does that work?
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RetroPlayer UI Design | UI/UX Disussion | Help Needed0