• 11(current)
WIP RetroPlayer UI Design | UI/UX Disussion | Help Needed
(2017-09-25, 19:17)Solo0815 Wrote:
(2017-09-25, 17:55)Jeroen Wrote: Sure, I will keep them individual where possible. I'll try to post some concepts of branded and unbranded icons soon. But maybe it's better if I post them in the Retroplayer subforum though?
The images could go in GUI-image addons then Smile and everyone can use it
Looking forward to see them

I modified the emulator selection dialog to show icons:

It currently shows the icon of the emulator's game add-on. I think we should swap this with platform icons. It'd be awesome to make this a GUI image add-on.
(2017-10-06, 20:19)garbear Wrote: I've added the RetroPlayer.ViewMode infolabel in commit 1b496246. The values are:
  • normal
  • 4:3
  • 16:9
  • nonlinear
  • original
Does that work?

That seems fine to me, I will get the new build and try it out asap. Thanks a lot for adding this.

(2017-10-06, 20:56)garbear Wrote: I modified the emulator selection dialog to show icons:

It currently shows the icon of the emulator's game add-on. I think we should swap this with platform icons. It'd be awesome to make this a GUI image add-on.

Great, looking good. Also just letting you know I am still working on icons.  I don't think I want to just use photo's of systems and be done with it though. So initially I set out to make pixel art images of consoles but I didn't feel it was working out. So I am now working on a different, vector based style. Still all custom made, so it might take me a while Smile
(2017-10-08, 11:32)Jeroen Wrote:
(2017-10-06, 20:19)garbear Wrote: I've added the RetroPlayer.ViewMode infolabel in commit 1b496246. The values are:
  • normal
  • nonlinear
  • original
Does that work?

That seems fine to me, I will get the new build and try it out asap. Thanks a lot for adding this.

My next test builds will include this feature. Let me know if it works and I'll send a PR to master.

(2017-10-06, 20:56)garbear Wrote: I modified the emulator selection dialog to show icons:

Great, looking good. Also just letting you know I am still working on icons.  I don't think I want to just use photo's of systems and be done with it though. So initially I set out to make pixel art images of consoles but I didn't feel it was working out. So I am now working on a different, vector based style. Still all custom made, so it might take me a while Smile

New game client selection dialog has been PRed to master: PR:12908. Keep me updated on those icons!
(2017-10-10, 21:14)garbear Wrote:
  • normal
  • nonlinear
  • original
Does that work?

My next test builds will include this feature. Let me know if it works and I'll send a PR to master.

Builds are uploaded. Once you test this out I'll send a PR to master if it suits your purposes.
(2017-10-12, 18:55)garbear Wrote:
(2017-10-10, 21:14)garbear Wrote:
(2017-10-08, 11:32)Jeroen Wrote: That seems fine to me, I will get the new build and try it out asap. Thanks a lot for adding this.

Builds are uploaded. Once you test this out I'll send a PR to master if it suits your purposes.

It does exactly what I want. Cool stuff, cheers!
I've started skinning the new iteration of the player manager

I'm thinking of using 5 controls: two labels, a control for the avatars, a control for the numbers, and a control for the controller icons. I think it's best if the skins can customize how these controls are laid out, e.g. allowing the controller icons to be placed above the avatars.

Someone requested larger avatars instead of having lots of empty space on the screen:

It looks like these controls are gonna need a lot of custom code.
Looks good!

First let me summarize things, if I understand them correctly:
Avatars are just the pictures for the different players
profiles are "Player Profiles" and every profile stores the name, Avatar, preferred controller layout etc.
or are they "controller"-profiles where the button-mapping is stored

A few questions/suggestions:
1. How are the profiles created? Does everyone, who wants to play a game have to create a profile, or are there "guest"-profiles? With them you could quickly play games and don't have to create profiles first.
2. If "player"-profiles are correct, I'd add the profilename to the Avatar
3. The bigger Avatars are looking better IMHO
Quote:When you select an avatar, you get the following menu:
  • Move
  • View profile
  • Choose profile
  • Assign controller

Move lets you walk your avatar around the screen. 
Why? to test your controller? Whats the benefit?
Quote:View profile lets you change your avatar and shows you saved games.
Saved games should be a extra menu entry, where all the savestates are shown. Then you can filter afterwards -> game -> profile
Quote:Choose profile lets you use a different profile for that player.

Assign controller asks "Press any button to control <player name>".
Is it "Player [1-9]" or the name of the profile?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm trying to understand the player manager atm Wink
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
(2017-12-05, 17:22)Solo0815 Wrote: Looks good!
1. How are the profiles created?

Profiles are created on demand. They are given a name of their random avatar (names look like "Mr. Man", "Mechanic", "Samurai", "PegLeg", "Gum Bot").

Our goal is automatic configuration, powerful reconfiguration, so yes the user never has to see this screen and things will just work.

Good idea, I'll figure out how to work this in.
Quote:When you select an avatar, you get the following menu:
Move lets you walk your avatar around the screen.  
Why? to test your controller? Whats the benefit?  

So that Player 1 can become Player 2.
Quote:View profile lets you change your avatar and shows you saved games.
Saved games should be a extra menu entry, where all the savestates are shown. Then you can filter afterwards -> game -> profile  

Good idea.

I was thinking the name of the profile (which defaults to the name of the avatar). We could also do "Player 1". What do you think?
(2017-12-05, 21:58)garbear Wrote:
1. How are the profiles created?

Profiles are created on demand. They are given a name of their random avatar (names look like "Mr. Man", "Mechanic", "Samurai", "PegLeg", "Gum Bot").

Our goal is automatic configuration, powerful reconfiguration, so yes the user never has to see this screen and things will just work.
(2017-12-05, 17:22)Solo0815 Wrote:

I was thinking the name of the profile (which defaults to the name of the avatar). We could also do "Player 1". What do you think? 
It IMHO depends on WHEN the controller is assigned. How is the process atm?
1. Create Avatar(s) (depending on nr. of controllers, keyboards etc) -> assign controller to avatar -> assign avatar to PortNr. (how many controllers can be added max to $EMU)
2. Assign controllers to PortNr (how many controllers can be added max to $EMU) -> assign avatar to Controllers
For me, 1. makes more sense and then it should be $NameOfTheAvatar
Maybe you should think of letting users change the names (and pics) of the Avatars. I think this FR will pop up Wink
And think about netplay with a "Lobby" (retroarch -> Lobby) where 100s of players are idling and many of them have the same pic/avatar. Doesn't it work that way? Just curious Wink
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
(2017-12-06, 18:25)Solo0815 Wrote: It IMHO depends on WHEN the controller is assigned. How is the process atm?

1. Create Avatar(s) (depending on nr. of controllers, keyboards etc) -> assign controller to avatar -> assign avatar to PortNr. (how many controllers can be added max to $EMU)
2. Assign controllers to PortNr (how many controllers can be added max to $EMU) -> assign avatar to Controllers

For me, 1. makes more sense and then it should be $NameOfTheAvatar

This logic is orthogonal to the GUI design, so I've delayed thinking about it. Everything is encapsulated, so this logic can be added at any time without breaking anything else. When I get the GUI done I'll think on this and post back here.
(2017-12-06, 18:25)Solo0815 Wrote: Maybe you should think of letting users change the names (and pics) of the Avatars. I think this FR will pop up Wink

Yes, this is planned.
(2017-12-06, 18:25)Solo0815 Wrote: And think about netplay with a "Lobby" (retroarch -> Lobby) where 100s of players are idling and many of them have the same pic/avatar. Doesn't it work that way? Just curious Wink 

Implementing netplay is on the top of my list after player manager (and possibly savestate manager). The netplay algorithm (distributed mutable state replication) will be much harder than the GUI design, so the former is probably the only thing I'll put much thought into for a while.

I've started writing the XML, and I'm thinking that profile names will be too hard to show in the actual window. there's no way we can fit 12 profile names side by side without making the text really tiny.

Or unless we use 3 letter player names like retro games Wink
I opened PR:14102 and wanted to run one of the changes by the skinners.

I'm essentially changing the name of a dialog from "View mode" to "Stretch mode". I initially just shorted this to "Stretch", but when surrounded by audio and input settings, I wanted to make it more clear what was being stretched. "Video stretch" is another possibility, which matches the setting above, "Video filter".

Here's what the settings dialog looks like now:

This would change the internal window's name from "GameViewMode" to "GameStretchMode". Best to rename the dialog before the actual release.
Wouldn't 'Video Aspect' be more fitting?
(2018-07-03, 23:18)Hitcher Wrote: Wouldn't 'Video Aspect' be more fitting?

"Aspect" is a technical term and introduces technical overhead. "Stretch" is a simpler word.
At long last, I consider the game OSD complete for our first release. Thank you all for joining me on this journey. I've tried to document the entire OSD here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336876 . Let me know if there's anything missing!

EDIT: We've come a long way in the last year and a half Wink

• 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RetroPlayer UI Design | UI/UX Disussion | Help Needed0