• 134(current)
Mod Estuary MOD V2 - KODI 18 (UPDATED 17/01/19)
(2017-10-26, 23:35)toeggi Wrote:
(2017-10-26, 21:29)Guilouz Wrote: • Add (rating) star symbols to fontset (Thanks to Jeroen)

How does that work? Can't find anything about it in settings?

Not a setting, this fix issue reported here : https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=322336
 Estuary MOD V2 
(2017-10-27, 01:39)Guilouz Wrote:
(2017-10-26, 23:10)HeresJohnny Wrote: Monitoring my system? Are you mad? What gives you the right to play Big Brother? Deleting this skin!

(2017-10-26, 23:18)s0ulslack Wrote: Have to agree abit, shouldn't be checking what users are using regardless if it's illegal or not

(2017-10-27, 00:34)dan_jericho Wrote: I really like this skin. Disappointed by the addition of the "Big Brother" script Sad

Self-protection ! I do not agree with the fact that some people promote my skin with banned/illegal addons on their blogs/websites, youtube video etc...

And I even encourage all skin developers to do the same.

That half baked attempt at checking addons will only stop 10% of pirates from using your skin, if that. The rest will follow the inevitable write ups that are sure to come on howto remove the weak checks or use a modified release of your skin. Again, this is an upstream problem that needs dealt with correctly instead of some half assed attempt! The people producing all those annoying banned addon vids etc aren't dumb shits, its just an annoyance to a very very small number of folks and pisses more legit users off because its checking for addons (paranoia these days, can't trust anyone).
Only works if banned add-ons are installed. Paranoia? Source is available. Nothing to be paranoid about.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Issue with latest version:

The caretaker service (https://github.com/Guilouz/repository.gu....caretaker) appears to be flagging something on my system even though I have none of the repos listed in https://gist.githubusercontent.com/CvH/4...nned_repos on my system. I was initially receiving an error with "Warning!" in the title bar and no content in the message 'body', but am now in a kodi restart loop if I don't alter the addon to basically do nothing.

Full Disclosure, I at one time had ZachMorris Repo installed, but it has been removed. BUT, and a big BUT here... The ZachMorris repo is referenced in the first port of the libreelec testbuild post by milhouse (team kodi member) https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298462 (See Testing note 15). Who is defining what should be flagged?

If I delete the settings.xml from the addon_data/skin.estuary.modv2, i will receive the blank warning noted above, but do not appear to be able to dismiss the message (by design?), nor does it identify what repo was identified or how to correct it.

For the time being i have altered the caretaker add-on to be a' dummy / no-op' add-on to get things working.

FYI: I fully understand your position about your skin being bundled with kodi boxes, which sucks. That said, please be careful of setting a precedent of implementing 'drm-like' functionality that only stops those who care to do the right thing in the first place.

Thanks,
Installing a script / program like this "caretaker" script may be a legal issue in itself for you.

You have already committed a crime against me based on Oregon State Law.

US Federal and State Laws pertaining to what you are doing once you take matters in your own hands so to speak.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommuni...-laws.aspx

A person commits an offense if the person knowingly accesses a computer, computer network or computer system without the effective consent of the owner." The penalty grade ranges from misdemeanor to first degree felony (which is the same grade as murder), depending on whether the person obtains benefit, harms or defrauds someone, or alters, damages, or deletes files.

In the United States you can get tripped up with States Law and when you cross States lines (basically anything via the Internet) you enter Federal legal territory as well.

Even though I was not actively using your skin the updated/added requirement of this script to your addon installed without my consent or notification an program that accessed my system, data and invaded my privacy for the purpose of monitoring and reporting.  

Ethically wrong, Illegal and just well - just not your job and certainly not what a user would expect of an app like Kodi and well beyond the scope of a "skin" - especially one hosted from the "official" repo.

This all is essentially the very definition of computer trespass and the actions of malware and/or spyware.

Once you start to take vigilante actions like this you are heading down a very slippery slope.

This is a job best left to law enforcement and the legal system - they are the ones tasked with this role.

They can interpret and enforce the laws and ultimately decide the accountability and action if the laws are broken.

Some guidelines you may wish to consider:

https://github.com/OneGet/oneget/wiki/8-...stallation

Hey I get that you and others are all wrapped up in all this political and socially charged drama regarding piracy / banned addons etc - personally I don't care either way.  

This is not about any of that for me I don't care about 3rd party unofficial addons etc

It is the principal of it all, the way it was done without consent and notification.

It is out of scope for a SKIN or well even Kodi to make and take action on.

Most importantly it is not legal and once you become an "actor" you then have liability and accountability issues.

Bottom line - this is not a "solution" so unless you like wasting your time focused on all this shit and are looking to create problems for yourself you may want to reconsider your methods at the very least.

The script is quickly and very easily defeated with a dummy script using an addon with the same name hosted at another repo using a version number above yours.

Naturally escalation then would be maybe some active scripted counter-measures like an anti-caretaker scripts, network filters, host file entries, etc. etc. etc.

Hopefully you get the idea here.

It is a Zero Sum Game - just futile cat and mouse play.

Skinners should make skins and those skins should not attempt to be a net nanny, judge, police or a wild west vigilante.

Remember "the only winning move is not to play." --WOPR

The Admins may want to give some input on all this as well - scripts hosted and installed like this from an official Kodi Repo could open them up to legal issues and liability as well.

Anyway I am now so over all this.

I just hope better judgements prevails before this all gets out of hand and turns into a shit storm.

-M
I'm completely against forcing malware on users... I sympathise with the reasoning, however you should not compromise developer integrity in order to fight piracy.

Anyone can find "Justification" for ill actions, perhaps this is a great opportunity to reevaluate your decision?

P.S. who is the *COUGH* caretaker for this banned repo list? i've already found repositories that are perfectly fine on the list... such as metalchris or Kodi team member romanvm?

P.S.S this may violate forum rules... keep that in mind.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2017-10-27, 01:39)Guilouz Wrote: Self-protection ! I do not agree with the fact that some people promote my skin with banned/illegal addons on their blogs/websites, youtube video etc...

Well that would be fine if it told me what repositories it didn't like or if you are at least able to click away the bloody blank warning. Atm it gives a big blank popup saying warning. Nothing else and not possible to click away while using remote atleast.

And why plex and netflix repo's are considered illegal beats me. The only thing that seems to be allowed is stock kodi and your own repo. That is a pretty limited view on addon development.
Anyone with a ounce of coding knowledge will be able to bypass this 'security check' and its unlikely to stop these a-holes stealing and profiting from your skin. I completely agree with your stance in terms of defeating this pirates and 'Kodi Box' makers, but there is going to be a lot of honest developers and legitimate addons that are going to get caught up in this. Who decides what goes on the blacklist? Who plays the role of King of the Repos? Will this be a repo dictatorship? Ive already seen a few comments from other forum members (Plex, Netflix) and as I mentioned in my last post (which was moved to garbage by an over-zealous admin although I was careful not to mention any banned repos), not every “banned repo” contains addons that can be classified as illegal. There is a dangerous precedent being set here the only outcome will be that novice users will migrate to a different skin.  I don’t think taking a large spade to the problem is going to solve anything.  

The issue only ever lies with addons. No one ever mentions the torrenting, newsgroups, software CAMs, all of which have helper type addons in the official kodi and Libreelec repos. Yes, these all have legitimate uses, but its far more likely that they are not used for that purpose. Heck you have ‘Add to couch potato’ built into extended information script on your own skin. Can you offer me a legitimate use for this option, other than piracy?

P.S Im not getting at you personally (or trying to sound harsh), as I said, I fully understand your decision on why you have done this and I appreciate all the hard work and effort you have put into the skin (its fantastic), but there must be another way to tackle this problem. It shouldn't be left up to a skinner to shoulder this burden.
(2017-10-27, 03:28)s0ulslack Wrote:
(2017-10-27, 01:39)Guilouz Wrote:
(2017-10-26, 23:10)HeresJohnny Wrote: Monitoring my system? Are you mad? What gives you the right to play Big Brother? Deleting this skin!

(2017-10-26, 23:18)s0ulslack Wrote: Have to agree abit, shouldn't be checking what users are using regardless if it's illegal or not

(2017-10-27, 00:34)dan_jericho Wrote: I really like this skin. Disappointed by the addition of the "Big Brother" script Sad

Self-protection ! I do not agree with the fact that some people promote my skin with banned/illegal addons on their blogs/websites, youtube video etc...

That half baked attempt at checking addons will only stop 10% of pirates from using your skin, if that. The rest will follow the inevitable write ups that are sure to come on howto remove the weak checks or use a modified release of your skin. Again, this is an upstream problem that needs dealt with correctly instead of some half assed attempt! The people producing all those annoying banned addon vids etc aren't dumb shits, its just an annoyance to a very very small number of folks and pisses more legit users off because its checking for addons (paranoia these days, can't trust anyone).

While the code can be changed but it will not be my responsibility anymore...
 Estuary MOD V2 
(2017-10-27, 07:20)Lunatixz Wrote: I'm completely against forcing malware on users... I sympathise with the reasoning, however you should not compromise developer integrity in order to fight piracy.

Anyone can find "Justification" for ill actions, perhaps this is a great opportunity to reevaluate your decision?

P.S. who is the *COUGH* caretaker for this banned repo list? i've already found repositories that are perfectly fine on the list... such as metalchris or Kodi team member romanvm?

P.S.S this may violate forum rules... keep that in mind.

The list of banned repo does not come from me, but from the caretaker script.
 Estuary MOD V2 
(2017-10-27, 09:38)laric Wrote:
(2017-10-27, 01:39)Guilouz Wrote: Self-protection ! I do not agree with the fact that some people promote my skin with banned/illegal addons on their blogs/websites, youtube video etc...

Well that would be fine if it told me what repositories it didn't like or if you are at least able to click away the bloody blank warning. Atm it gives a big blank popup saying warning. Nothing else and not possible to click away while using remote atleast.

And why plex and netflix repo's are considered illegal beats me. The only thing that seems to be allowed is stock kodi and your own repo. That is a pretty limited view on addon development.

Close popup is fixed on last git and I will update it on repo.

Plex is available on official repo and for others I invite you to contact the authors of the legal addons to publish them on the official repo.
 Estuary MOD V2 
The fact that this is blocking valid and legal addons and that there is no process, control or oversight from Kodi as to what goes into the blacklist is a major concern for me. It looks, smells and behaves like malware.
I do not want this hidden spyware on my installation.

As much as I love the skin - I will not have this sort of intrusion.

Deleted forthwith.
[quote pid='2660049' dateline='1509098155']
Plex is available on official repo and for others I invite you to contact the authors of the legal addons to publish them on the official repo .
[/quote]

I am not trying to be too difficult here (only a little), but you appear to have a double standard Smile.  Devs should use the official repo, but you are not hosting your add-ons in the 'official' repo. Also, the instructions on the first post of this thread reference several repos of the devs, as they are non-stable builds and should not be in the official repo.

Your addon only works on pre release code....

Just saying...
(2017-10-27, 12:02)stacka Wrote: The fact that this is blocking valid and legal addons and that there is no process, control or oversight from Kodi as to what goes into the blacklist is a major concern for me.

Totally agree with that comment. While I dont disagree with why the skin author has implemented such a feature, there is no oversight or process into what is and is not on the blacklist. Its all in the hands of the mysterious "Caretaker". So someone I dont know has the ability to determine what I have on my kodi installation.

Im not sure if its even possible or feasible, but most of these Kodi box pirates deploy to cheap Android devices. Perhaps if new versions of Kodi where only made available for only specific types of architecture it would eliminate the ability to mass produce these cheaply made kodi boxes, hence it would no longer be profitable. Again, its probably taking a spade to the problem but its just a thought.
(2017-10-27, 12:15)wallacebw Wrote: [quote pid='2660049' dateline='1509098155']
Plex is available on official repo and for others I invite you to contact the authors of the legal addons to publish them on the official repo .

I am not trying to be too difficult here (only a little), but you appear to have a double standard Smile.  Devs should use the official repo, but you are not hosting your add-ons in the 'official' repo

Just saying...
[/quote]

Just because mods are not allowed on the official repo ^^
I have a repo for people can update version easily, that's all.
 Estuary MOD V2 
  • 134(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Estuary MOD V2 - KODI 18 (UPDATED 17/01/19)17