v17 Hardware acceleration
Dear community

I have two questions about Kodi "Hardware Acceleration", in combination with my QNAP NAS TS-453s:
The NAS has a Intel J1900-CPU with integrated Intel HD graphics card, for which on QNAPs homepage it says that the following video formats are supported for hardware acceleration:

H.264 CB
H.264 Main
H.264 [email protected]
MPEG2 Simple
MPEG2 Main@HL
VC1 Simple
VC1 Main
VC1 ASP@LeVeL 3

My questions are:

1. To get hardware acceleration advantages of Kodi I have top activate "VAAPI" hardware acceleration, right?

2. All my videos are stored in .mkv format right now. Does that mean I have to convert all of my video files to for example H.264 format to get advantages of hardware acceleration?
(2017-10-27, 13:40)Tattoofreak Wrote: Dear community

I have two questions about Kodi "Hardware Acceleration", in combination with my QNAP NAS TS-453s:
The NAS has a Intel J1900-CPU with integrated Intel HD graphics card, for which on QNAPs homepage it says that the following video formats are supported for hardware acceleration:

H.264 CB
H.264 Main
H.264 [email protected]
MPEG2 Simple
MPEG2 Main@HL
VC1 Simple
VC1 Main
VC1 ASP@LeVeL 3

My questions are:

1. To get hardware acceleration advantages of Kodi I have top activate "VAAPI" hardware acceleration, right?

2. All my videos are stored in .mkv format right now. Does that mean I have to convert all of my video files to for example H.264 format to get advantages of hardware acceleration?

1. yes
2. no - mkv is a container as long as the format in that container matches the above codecs all is fine.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi Tattoofreak,

yes, you could enable VAAPI to enable hardware acceleration.

I'm running Kodi for 2 two years on the same QNAP hardware (HS-251+). The J1900 by far is enough to run it without hardware accelaration. I have two 6TB disks (fully encrypted, mostly 1080p material, but also some MPEG2 DVDs).

Decoding and decrypting never causes more then 20% CPU load even if hardware acceleration disabled.

So for sure there is no need to recode any MKVs.

igs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware acceleration0