Kodi in Win server 2012
Hi Team

I am setting up a community kind video on demand and I have the following

I have installed kodi v17.5 on win server 2012, downloaded a video and added to my video library the next thing i want to do is access from my win 7 pc connected on the same network,
I have downloaded vlc but doesn't seem to work with it,

How do I access kodi from external player or over the network?

Please help and i thank you in advance
Kodi is not a server, to the best to my knowledge, and is more like a client. That means your videos should be on the server and Kodi on the PCs, not the other way around.
Quote:the next thing i want to do is access from my win 7 pc connected on the same network, I have downloaded vlc but doesn't seem to work with it
That sounds like a network and a vlc problem to me. None of which is a direct Kodi issue as far as I can tell.

I'm a little puzzled as to why you would install Kodi on a server machine?
Kodi itself is first and foremost a client application. And designed to also play multimedia files from servers.

Serving a file via Samba should be Windows Server's main feature. Check the SMB version used, as Kodi recently went to SMB v2. Your server may need settings adjusted.
(2017-10-31, 10:01)DaLanik Wrote: Kodi is not a server, to the best to my knowledge, and is more like a client. That means your videos should be on the server and Kodi on the PCs, not the other way around.

I though it was other way round, so how do i direct kodi on my client pc to connect to the server folder with the movies, thanks for your reply
Just share your files using a sharing protocol like smb..?
(2017-10-31, 10:14)Atreyu Wrote: Just share your files using a sharing protocol like smb..?

Thank you so much, did that and its working like a champ Smile, for androids and ipad viewing is there an app i can download and set up to my server just like the windows machines?
I fixed it, thanks all for your contribution
Kodi không phải là máy chủ vì vậy bạn không thể làm điều này, bạn nên tải video lên máy tính để bàn và kết nối mạng sẽ tốt hơn.
Please post in English, not Vietnamese

Translation:

Kodi is not a server so you can not do this, you should upload the video to the desktop and the network connection will be better.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-10-31, 13:32)ausom65000 Wrote:
(2017-10-31, 10:14)Atreyu Wrote: Just share your files using a sharing protocol like smb..?

Thank you so much, did that and its working like a champ Smile, for androids and ipad viewing is there an app i can download and set up to my server just like the windows machines?

You could, but that’s still thinking server2server.
The widely used method is server<->clients.
This way you can have a centralized library to be shared for all clients. Install kodi on your mentioned clients, done.

Have fun!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi in Win server 20120