v17 Issues with Shield TV and Android Remote
Question 
I've been using Kodi since I got my Shield TV and it works great, except one issue.
When I connect the android app, I can use all functions except the back button (back button only doesn't work in Kodi). This refuses to work in kodi and it is REALLY irritating.
We do usually use the controller but the battery dies quick when you have 2 kids, so for playing movies we resort to our phones.
Having the back button not work is a real pain.

Is there any way around this? Why does this happen?

Also, I'm not prepared to use SPMC. Although it says it optimised for the Shield TV, why isn't Kodi? Surely I couldn't download it if it wasn't meant to run on the damn device?
Perhaps you have more luck with the Kore Kodi remote app?

SPMC was a Kodi fork created for a number of reasons. which are non-important here. It is currently not being developed as far as I know.
(2017-10-31, 19:49)Darkstar_ Wrote: I've been using Kodi since I got my Shield TV and it works great, except one issue.
When I connect the android app, I can use all functions except the back button (back button only doesn't work in Kodi). This refuses to work in kodi and it is REALLY irritating.
We do usually use the controller but the battery dies quick when you have 2 kids, so for playing movies we resort to our phones.
Having the back button not work is a real pain.

Is there any way around this? Why does this happen?

Also, I'm not prepared to use SPMC. Although it says it optimised for the Shield TV, why isn't Kodi? Surely I couldn't download it if it wasn't meant to run on the damn device?

You can install Kodi v18.  You should then be presented with a "new controller" message (can't remember if this is also possible in v17 as well).

If you are not then just go to Settings/System/Input/Configure attached controllers.  Select "B" and press the back button on the app, then select "OK".  This will give you back the back button.

As for SPMC, it is developed by one of our devs (yes as far as I know it is still being developed, just not as much as it was).  The reason that it is "optimized" is because unlike Kodi, which is multi-platform software, Koying (the dev) only has to worry about Android and is able to add hacks or work-arounds which would not be allowed in Kodi.

This does not mean that one will work better for you than the other, it all depends on your setup and what you want to do. However, since they have different signatures you can install both and test to see which you prefer. SPMC (though only v16) is also in the Play Store and can be installed directly from the Play Store app.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-10-31, 20:34)Tinwarble Wrote: You can install Kodi v18.  You should then be presented with a "new controller" message (can't remember if this is also possible in v17 as well).

If you are not then just go to Settings/System/Input/Configure attached controllers.  Select "B" and press the back button on the app, then select "OK".  This will give you back the back button.

As for SPMC, it is developed by one of our devs (yes as far as I know it is still being developed, just not as much as it was).  The reason that it is "optimized" is because unlike Kodi, which is multi-platform software, Koying (the dev) only has to worry about Android and is able to add hacks or work-arounds which would not be allowed in Kodi.

This does not mean that one will work better for you than the other, it all depends on your setup and what you want to do.  However, since they have different signatures you can install both and test to see which you prefer.  SPMC (though only v16) is also in the Play Store and can be installed directly from the Play Store app.

How do I install 18?
I've set to download beta versions, but 17.4 (from memory) is the one currently on the Shield. Can I force 18 to be downloaded?

Fantastic. Setting the controller up (which I didn't know you could do) did the trick. The family is happy again! Thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues with Shield TV and Android Remote0