Win How do I use my own subtitle file for streamed movie or tv show?
I wasn't able to figure out how to use my own (local stored) subtitle files, in cases when the Subtitles Services cannot find any available files.

Case in hand is the British tv show Babylon. Neither OpenSubtitles.org or Subscene.org (Kodi subtitle services) can find any files for this show. However, on Subscene.com web site there are subtitles available for all six episodes of the first season.

I have Kodi (14.2) setup in "System-Settings-Video-Subtitles-Subtitles storage location" as "Custom location" and I have setup a "Custom subtitles folder" on my hard disc. The custom subtitles folder stores all the subtitles files downloaded by the Kodi Subtitles Service, for all the movies and tv shows I have watched. However, if I add to that folder, the subtitles I've downloaded (and synchronized with the frame rate of the movie) manually, they don't show in the Kodi video player.

I will appreciate any help I can get with using manually downloaded subtitle files for movies and tv-shows streamed by using different video addons.

Thank you!
While playing hit OK, choose audio button, options to choose subtitle file are in there.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Wow!! That was fast! Thank you VERY much! It didn't cross my mind to look for subtitles under the Audio button! Your prompt help is very much appreciated!
Sad 
I have created an account on this forum only to express my feelings on this topic: Who, in the name of God, thought that it would be good to include SUBTITLE properties in an AUDIO submenu? Dear lord!!

Of course I love Kodi. But sometimes the menus are so terribly frustrating I just want to shoot my TV.
Thank you for your positive first post, it is much appreciated.

Actually i do agree with you, stumped me when first using kodi. However I guess to reduce the number of menus, it is more sensible there than in the video OSD menu. (subtitles duplicate or translate audio...)

Of course it is always possible for you to devote a key on your remote to turning subtitles on and off.

Also the location of the menu is well documented in the wiki.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have an additional question related to the use of a custom folder for subtitles. I have listed below what I have done and was unable to do.

1. Created "CUSTOM SUBS" folder on desk top
2 Downloaded movie sub from Open Subtitles and placed in folder
3. Opened movie and began playing
4. Selected Audio button
5. OSD shows subs enabled and selected "Browse for subtitle"
6. after right click on empty screen, the title "Movie and Alternate Subtitle Directory" was at top of screen and path to custom folder was at bottom of screen, nevertheless, could not proceed further.

What was my mistake? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Roxie
(2016-09-19, 23:30)tixastronauta Wrote: I have created an account on this forum only to express my feelings on this topic: Who, in the name of God, thought that it would be good to include SUBTITLE properties in an AUDIO submenu? Dear lord!!

Of course I love Kodi. But sometimes the menus are so terribly frustrating I just want to shoot my TV.

A year after the latest update I finally found the local subtitle setting under AUDIO, after many hours downloading add-on subtitle services and trying to make them work.

Lots of people use subtitles, and for many different reasons. Why hide the service in the AUDIO button at the bottom of the screen, when there is a SUBTITLE button on the same line. 

This makes no sense to me, can anyone explain the logic of this? 

I love Kodi, a fine piece of coding, but sometimes...
Sometimes you can simply ask others, or do some Googling. We don't pretend it's the 100% perfect skin setup in Kodi Krypton, but we do know where to find things. Smile
(2017-11-05, 04:59)Taname Wrote:
(2016-09-19, 23:30)tixastronauta Wrote: I have created an account on this forum only to express my feelings on this topic: Who, in the name of God, thought that it would be good to include SUBTITLE properties in an AUDIO submenu? Dear lord!!

A year after the latest update I finally found the local subtitle setting under AUDIO, after many hours downloading add-on subtitle services and trying to make them work.

Lots of people use subtitles, and for many different reasons. Why hide the service in the AUDIO button at the bottom of the screen, when there is a SUBTITLE button on the same line. 

This makes no sense to me, can anyone explain the logic of this? 

I love Kodi, a fine piece of coding, but sometimes...

So I guess you are another person who didn't bother reading the docs? I mean searching for subtitle in the manual produces this page http://kodi.wiki/view/Subtitle

Surely that does not take a year?
I am using the upnp option to watch movies in kodi. Kodi shows all the videos with no problem, but when I look for the downloaded subtitles which are in a hard drive in the same folder and with the same name as the video file and select them, kodi does not display them.

My movies are in a hard drive connected to a router that allows upnp.
I am pretty sure external subtitle files don't work with upnp.
To use exteranl subtitles via UPnP services, such as .srt files, go to Settings (click the gear at the top of the page), then to "Service Settings", then to UPnP / DLNA tab (on the left hand side), and toggle "-Look for external subtitles"...the toggle is to the right for the option.
After I upgrade my Kodi version to Kodi (Leia), I found that I can not choose subtitle from other directory.
I can only choose subtitle with movie that in the same directory.
Is this design for security ?
It is even worse. From version 18 this sometimes hangs if you play a movie from the internet.
To solve this issue I created my own subtitle addon: "LocalSubtitle". See https://github.com/peno64/LocalSubtitle
You can use it to brows to any directory
When i want to use my custom folder on kodi for my downloaded subtitles kodi freeses i have kodi leia
Can annybody help me how to solfed this problem.
It use to work

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I use my own subtitle file for streamed movie or tv show?1