Mouse pointer issues on Kodi 17+
Until recently I have been using Kodi 17 Krypton (various releases) on my Nvidia Shield 16gb.  It seemed to work fine until the recent "push" by Nvidia of the Chrome Assistant.  Since that (upgrade??) mouse tracking inside of Kodi is off...mouse pointer does not align with actual position on screen.  This problem occurs only inside of Kodi 17 and up.  I have installed the Kodi fork SPMC as a work-a-round and mouse tracking is ok there.  Something is amiss for me and I am at a loss to know how to get back to genuine Kodi.  By the way, my mouse works fine in android 7.0 and all of my other installed apps.  Any help would be appreciated.
FYI, Kodi is not the type of application where a mouse is the best means of control. A remote of some kind is better and usually quicker. A number of skins even do not have mouse support.

Also, SPMC development is currently at a very slow level.
I realize that a lot of Kodi internal functionality lends itself to the use of a remote rather than a mouse.  I use a combination of remote and mouse for operating it.  I use a mouse in a lot of my onscreen typing as I find it to be quicker for things like entering web addresses, etc.  I also prefer the later versions of Kodi to SPMC, that is why I posted that SPMC is my "work around" solution.  Hopefully, I can find a way to use both mouse and remote on later versions of Kodi as that combination is what I have become use to using.  I would rather have a mouse functioning in Kodi than to have Google Assistant on my Shield.  I just dont know how to revert back to the pre Google Assiistant version of Android on my unit.  I thought that since the problem only exists in Kodi that someone who knew the ins and outs of Kodi 17 vs earlier version might understand and suggest a solution to my problem and be able to say how to get mouse function back in spite of the "upgrade I was given.

'
(2017-11-07, 23:11)Klojum Wrote: FYI, Kodi is not the type of application where a mouse is the best means of control. A remote of some kind is better and usually quicker. A number of skins even do not have mouse support.

I don't agree. When you run Kodi on platforms like Linux X11, Wayland,  OSX, or Windows you definitely want to have a mouse. btw: mouse is working fine on those platforms.
(2017-11-08, 12:20)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2017-11-07, 23:11)Klojum Wrote: FYI, Kodi is not the type of application where a mouse is the best means of control. A remote of some kind is better and usually quicker. A number of skins even do not have mouse support.

I don't agree. When you run Kodi on platforms like Linux X11, Wayland,  OSX, or Windows you definitely want to have a mouse. btw: mouse is working fine on those platforms.

I agree with Klojum, trying to use Kodi with a keyboard & mouse on the Windows platform is just not a good experience. So much easier to just use the keyboard and arrow keys, or even better a remote control.

To say you definitely want a mouse when using Windows is something I just can't agree with.
Kodi is not only for use as HTPC. If you use it as a player on a desktop environment, you use a mouse.
(2017-11-08, 17:24)FernetMenta Wrote: Kodi is not only for use as HTPC. If you use it as a player on a desktop environment, you use a mouse.

Maybe you do, but I definitely don't. Everything is accessible from the keyboard so for me the mouse is obsolete.

Aside from that, the OP is using an Nvidia Shield which is not a desktop environment anyway.
(2017-11-08, 17:42)FXB78 Wrote:
(2017-11-08, 17:24)FernetMenta Wrote: Kodi is not only for use as HTPC. If you use it as a player on a desktop environment, you use a mouse.

Maybe you do, but I definitely don't. Everything is accessible from the keyboard so for me the mouse is obsolete.

Aside from that, the OP is using an Nvidia Shield which is not a desktop environment anyway.

I know but this is not the Android section of the forum but a generic one. Readers my think that there is generic mouse pointer issue in Kodi. This is why I posted that mouse handling does work well for the platforms named.
I hadn't realized that this was not the right area of the board to post for the Android OS.  I must confess I'm old school and have used a mouse for most of my computing carreer (ie windows. and Linux).  That might account for my desire to use it with android as I do find it more natural for on screen typing than my remote driving the cursor over the proper letter and then selecting it, also it seems faster to do with the mouse.  Here again I must confess that sometimes when on screen typing the mouse fails to work at all and I revert back to the remote for the job.  I only posted the original question because of my ignorance of the inner workings of Kodi. I thought it might be a simple fix for someone in the know.  I really appreciate Kodi and appreciate all the work that the Kodi team does to keep it current.  A month ago I was getting my way on 17.4....mouse and remote. Then I made the error of letting Android be updated to accomodate a feature I don't even care about (Google Assistant).  Now, to get my way, I have reverted back to an older, reworked fork of Kodi....bah humbug....guess old school has either got to relearn or use an old application.  Any way thanks to all who have commented/
Does the Shield have Bluetooth? (I don't have one, so genuinely don't know.) If so, how about connecting a Bluetooth keyboard for typing (which would undoubtedly be even faster than mousing the onscreen keyboard)? I have to agree with @FXB78 in that I use Kodi with a keyboard almost exclusively and haven't even felt the need for a remote even. Although if you can mouse-drag to scan ahead/behind during playback, that would be a neat mouse-only feature, I admit.
For Android I also have a problem with the mouse pointer being misaligned in Kodi 17/18 but only if using auto frame-rate switching and playing 4K videos on a 4K tv.
For Android most users use airmouses instead of slow ir remotes(or a USB PC mouse) that you can move in the air to move the mouse pointer much easier and quicker and on the back of these remotes there are also a keyboard usually with soft touch keys so the arrow keys are not so responsive as a PC keyboard and users mostly use the front airmouse keys.
So any airmouse remote has the same problem as a USB PC mouse on Android during 4K video playback on a 4K tv where real 4K video playback is done using auto frame-rate switching.
I opened a bug report for Android here- https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17639
Koying made a fix for SPMC Jarvis here - https://github.com/koying/SPMC/pull/458/commits but it's not compatible with Kodi 17/18.
Hope someone will be able to fix it.

For a PC the problem doesn't exist on Windows/Linux and I agree it's better to just use a keyboard.
My mouse is bluetooth (yes the Shield is bluetooth compatible). I also have a dongle operated USB keyboard.  The problem there is the silly thing disconnects randomly and the only way to get it back is a hard restet (power off/on) of the Shield....quitte a pain. I also have problems with the remote (bluetooth) going away and have to go to the Shield controller icon and use the mouse to select and re-attach the remote.  Certainly, computers are more consistant than the BEST android TV box in these areas. I have the same issue with the controller for gaming. I have a Samsung "dumb" digital tv about 8-10 years old (Shield suggest I use 720 p @ 59.? refresh rate (only other option is 720 p @ 60 rate).  Ahh the joys and miseries of modern life.
(2017-11-07, 22:08)Donald Vanderlinden Wrote: Until recently I have been using Kodi 17 Krypton (various releases) on my Nvidia Shield 16gb.  It seemed to work fine until the recent "push" by Nvidia of the Chrome Assistant.  Since that (upgrade??) mouse tracking inside of Kodi is off...mouse pointer does not align with actual position on screen.  This problem occurs only inside of Kodi 17 and up.  I have installed the Kodi fork SPMC as a work-a-round and mouse tracking is ok there.  Something is amiss for me and I am at a loss to know how to get back to genuine Kodi.  By the way, my mouse works fine in android 7.0 and all of my other installed apps.  Any help would be appreciated.
Go into the keyboard/mouse input settings from the startup screen, click on the mouse settings and move the cursor to the left to slow the pointer down. I have Krypton 17.6 on an Android box with Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard combo and changing pointer speed seems to have made the issue less of a problem. I also have a couple of Jarvis boxes and there have been times when I've switched to Jarvis just to get away from these out of control scrolls on addons with really long lists of channels.

Hope this helps but the devs should probably fix this, so far it's my only complaint about Krypton, an otherwise fine platform.
If you are using a 4K tv you should go to settings in Kodi (I am on 17.6) and change the resolution from 4K to 1080P , this worked for me
Wink 
Change it to 1080 also Solved it for me... got a little sluggish after though.....but now pointer is working again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mouse pointer issues on Kodi 17+0