Plug and play remote that doesn't use IR
(2017-11-16, 08:36)Vlaves Wrote:
(2017-11-16, 01:27)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: There's the OSMC remote: https://osmc.tv/store/product/osmc-remote-control/

It's quite popular, but it's been on the market for a couple of years now and in need of a refresh.
I'd be interested in knowing what the wider Kodi community think of it and if they have any ideas on how we can improve it.

Sam

Hi Sam,

would buy the remote immediately if it would have volume keys and a power key. It should have the possibility to program the Volume keys for any infra-red remote, so we can control the Volume of our TVs/Audio stuff. The power key should have also the possibility to be programmed, but it should have a double function (for example short press for standby of the device, double or "long press" to send the programmed ir). My point of view skip buttons are not needed on your remote, would replace them with volume buttons and the Info key and the Home key I would replace with Power key and maybe a Mute key (Mute key not needed really as we have play/pause). Button wise I prefer smaller hard plastic buttons what I currently have with the Xiaomi bluetooth after market remote.

A good example for me is this FireTV Edition remote, just without the extra Vod-buttons, I know buttons are awfully removed Big Grin

If this remote would have programmable keys I would buy it immediately without thinking a second Smile So the current OSMC remote is quite near, almost there Smile 
Thanks for the feedback.
I can see us adding volume keys in the short term, but hadn't considered the benefits of programmable IR key before.

I will look in to the feasibility of that, as well as the best way for the remote to learn new keycodes.

Cheers

Sam
(2017-11-16, 18:28)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: ...
I will look in to the feasibility of that, as well as the best way for the remote to learn new keycodes.
Sam 

Thanks for considering adding that functionality Smile

Best way of implrementing I saw it is how it is done on the Apple TV. Seems like it is getting the TV model over the HDMI information and then adjust the infrared frequencies automatically, basically no setup.
But therefor the device and the remote need to work together...
(2017-11-19, 03:38)Vlaves Wrote:
Sam 

Best way of implrementing I saw it is how it is done on the Apple TV. Seems like it is getting the TV model over the HDMI information and then adjust the infrared frequencies automatically, basically no setup.
That's interesting. Apple TV likely parses the EDID and then consults an online database. I wonder how many variants there are; and whether some key buttons (i.e. power) are similar across a variety of models manufactured by the same brand. 
It may also be good to allow buttons to be mapped to CEC functions.
(2017-11-19, 09:10)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2017-11-19, 03:38)Vlaves Wrote:
Sam 

That's interesting. Apple TV likely parses the EDID and then consults an online database. I wonder how many variants there are; and whether some key buttons (i.e. power) are similar across a variety of models manufactured by the same brand. 

The Apple TV 4 Siri Remote (or combination of it and the ATV 4) also includes some IR learning functionality too I believe, as you can teach it commands if your TV isn't CEC or automatically recognised.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205225
(2017-11-19, 09:10)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: That's interesting. Apple TV likely parses the EDID and then consults an online database. I wonder how many variants there are; and whether some key buttons (i.e. power) are similar across a variety of models manufactured by the same brand. 

Yeah considering mapping CEC functions of course would be great, but some CEC implementations are awfully done on some TVs, so for example my Samsung changes to TV input instead of going to standby, thats why I like Apples approach to initially start with ir, which works for sure Smile

But there is of course a lot of potential in implementing both and then tight it up all together on the Vero Screen, would be a great User experience. For example, the Vero is always on. If a powerbutton would be there, then user could configure to send TV into standby with it or change inputs over CEC and so on. For me it would be just important, that it can be configured in OSMC via GUI, then you have a awsome remote and integration into your player. Just my 2ct Smile
Some good thoughts -- thanks for the feedback.

The Vero 4K has an IR blaster and there is a sysfs interface for operating it; so the device should be able to learn and send IR signals, although a bit of work would be needed to make that simple to use with a GUI.
Personally I'd love a slightlly more Kodi-friendly version of the PS3 BD Remote - which has a nice mix of Live TV and Media Transport friendly buttons, but is missing Record.  (The Tivo Slide Pro is also a really nice implementation - and the built in QWERTY keyboard inside the slider is amazing at times, but overkill for many I suspect)

For me - an RF remote that had the following functionality would be amazing :

Cursors + Enter
Back
Home
Power (either one key for Kodi device or multiple keys for Kodi, TV, Amp etc.)

Play / Pause (Happy to be combined or separate)
Stop
Record (for PVR)
FF
REW
Next
Previous

Vol+
Vol-
Mute

Channel+ (for PVR)
Channel- (for PVR)
Numeric keypad from 0-9 (both for PVR, and triple-tap alphanumeric text entry for search, config etc.)
Clear (to work with above as a delete key)

Audio (to cycle audio tracks)
Subtitles (to cycle subtitle tracks)
Live TV (to take you instantly to PVR Live TV)
Recorded TV (to take you to your recordings)
Music
Videos/Movies
Photos

Display (to show you metadata)
Info (to show you codec info)

(optional - but useful soft keys)
Red
Green
Blue
Yellow

(Including RF and IR would be amazing - with a way of learning IR or having One4All style magic codes to specific keys, removing them from Kodi)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plug and play remote that doesn't use IR0