• 515(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
What are using for 4k x265 content?

So far the nVidia Shield seems to tick all the boxes but they're pricey.

Plus it means my ChromeBox will be retired to a bedroom which seems a bit soon but to be honest it's getting to be more of a problem since I bought a 4k TV.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
(2017-11-19, 17:26)AP0ll0UK Wrote: What are using for 4k x265 content?

So far the nVidia Shield seems to tick all the boxes but they're pricey.

Plus it means my ChromeBox will be retired to a bedroom which seems a bit soon but to be honest it's getting to be more of a problem since I bought a 4k TV.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
For HEVC/H265 4K SDR content - AMLogic S905-based boxes are a good fit.  For HDR then S905X (and now S912 I believe) boxes are popular, though the Shield is a better fit if you want Netflix and Amazon UHD HDR too.

S905/S905X/S912 boxes will be best running LibreElec - or OSMC in the case of the well regarded Vero 4K.
(2017-11-17, 18:08)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-11-17, 10:10)MuSela Wrote: Hello guys,

When I run the ez-setup script in develpoer mode its says that its read only and can't modify anything. I already removed the write protection screw but it does not work.
After this I read that some devices need to scrape excessive material to remove write protection, but I don't know exactly what needs to be scraped.
Can you help me with this issue and tell me what part need to be scraped? I have asus chromebox m004u and It would be better if u show me on picture.

See the Picture of the error

Thanks
your error has nothing to do with the firmware write protection.  First, you added 'sudo bash' before the script command, which changed you to the root user, which put your home directory as /, which isn't writeable -- hence the read-only filesystem error.  Not sure why you did that, but don't.  Just login as chronos as run the script command *exactly as written.*  Second, you have a typo in the script command -- it's 'https' not 'hhtps.' 
You were right. It worked and right now I am installing ubuntu.

Thank You for Your help.
trying to enable headless mode on an asus chromebox cn60, booting into a live debian install and running the firmware-util.sh script gives me the option of install/update full rom firmware
after selecting it i get the standard warning about bricking which i agree to and after that it just grabs the coreboot_tiano-panther-mrchromebox_20170714.rom, installs the firmware successfully and tells me to hit enter to head back to the main menu

i'm pretty sure it was supposed to ask if i wanted the headless firmware before downloading the new firmware itself, any ideas?
(2017-11-22, 06:10)idyllik Wrote: trying to enable headless mode on an asus chromebox cn60, booting into a live debian install and running the firmware-util.sh script gives me the option of install/update full rom firmware
after selecting it i get the standard warning about bricking which i agree to and after that it just grabs the coreboot_tiano-panther-mrchromebox_20170714.rom, installs the firmware successfully and tells me to hit enter to head back to the main menu

i'm pretty sure it was supposed to ask if i wanted the headless firmware before downloading the new firmware itself, any ideas?
the older Legacy boot firmware had an explicit headless option which had to be selected, but the UEFI firmware can boot either way, so no user-facing option.  I'd recommend using a bootloader other than grub however, as it can be difficult when booted headless
i see, trying to run freenas which appears to boot fine as long as there's a display but as soon as i unplug it and try to boot without one it just doesn't come up at all Sad
thought i was just missing the option of going headless, might just be a problem with freenas then
(2017-11-22, 06:28)idyllik Wrote: i see, trying to run freenas which appears to boot fine as long as there's a display but as soon as i unplug it and try to boot without one it just doesn't come up at all Sad
thought i was just missing the option of going headless, might just be a problem with freenas then
 it's probably using GRUB-EFI too boot; install systemdboot or gummiboot or similar and the problem should be gone
copy that, thanks matt will look into that

if worst comes to worst, is it possible to replace the current uefi firmware with the seabios?
i assume i can go back to stock firmware then upgrade to the legacy firmware?
(2017-11-22, 06:51)idyllik Wrote: copy that, thanks matt will look into that

if worst comes to worst, is it possible to replace the current uefi firmware with the seabios?
i assume i can go back to stock firmware then upgrade to the legacy firmware?
 yes, but no need to go back to stock first.  Simply run my firmware utility script, choose U to unlock, then 3 to flash.  At that point it will give you the option to choose Legacy or UEFI, and you can choose headless after that
yep found that bit of info digging around your site, wasn't sure if it applied in my case Smile
thanks a tonne for your help matt
It's been a while since I have worked with my ChromeBox. I would like to update Kodi from 16.1 to 17.6.

How do I determine the ChromeBox OS version and boot mode? Are there any specific items to look out for?

Thanks
What OS are you using?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I believe it's ChromeOS. How can I confirm this as well?

Thanks
(2017-11-25, 05:14)tate16t Wrote: I believe it's ChromeOS. How can I confirm this as well?

Thanks
 if your Chromebox is setup to dual boot ChromeOS and Kodi, then it's likely running LibreELEC, in which case you can simply do a manual update following the instructions on their website.  If you don't care to preserve your current setup, then you can always re-run the EZ Setup Script from ChromeOS and select the dual boot option, and it will install the latest version clean.
I’m not running a dual boot configuration and have OpenElec installed. I’m not concerned about preserving the current config. Can I still do a clean install?

Thanks
  • 515(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37