Linux GUIDE: Making a gaming home theater PC with Kodi and Lutris
This guide will explain how to set up Kodi and Lutris on a HTPC. The goal is to create a fast, light-weight media and gaming system in the same vein as SteamOS, but with Kodi as the interface.

The guide itself is hosted on GitHub: https://github.com/solbero/guide-kodi-lutris

I have earlier created another guide titled Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation where I tried to achieve something similar. However, I never felt that the approach described in that guide was satisfactory. It relied on launching Steam and/or EmulationStation as separate applications outside of Kodi for playing games.

Using Lutris, however, it is possible to create a much more coherent media center and gaming experience.
Quote:Lutris is an open source gaming platform for GNU/Linux. It allows you to gather and manage (install, configure and launch) all your games acquired from any source, in a single interface.
All games will be organized natively in Kodi and no external applications are ever launched, except the games you want to play!

There is some flickering in the demo which is due to FFmpeg not playing nice with Kodi. This is not present in the actual setup.
I am not a gamer, but want to thank you for a clear and thorough write-up.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Is there a specific reason you are building this on 16.04 instead of 17.04?
(2017-05-23, 19:37)laric Wrote: Is there a specific reason you are building this on 16.04 instead of 17.04?
I have had some mixed experiences upgrading from the point (half year) releases of Ubuntu. Sometimes there is no problems, at other times there are. I specifically remember when they went from Upstart to SystemD, that caused me a lot of issues.

I want my HTPC to be appliance like; install the OS and leave it. For that the LTS (Long Term Release) is great. However, you could download the 17.04 MinimalCD installation and use that with this guide if you want something more recent. It should make no difference to the setup described in the guide.
If you have a gaming compatible rig, I can't recommend Solbero's guide enough.
Works great, but I'm finding my Lutris window stays open after I've closed the rom I'm playing. Based on your video, this does not appear to be an issue for you. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Also, I close the rom by opening the retroarch menu item and selecting Close Retroarch. How are you closing the rom and getting back into Kodi?
(2017-11-28, 17:41)mycodex Wrote: Works great, but I'm finding my Lutris window stays open after I've closed the rom I'm playing. Based on your video, this does not appear to be an issue for you. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Also, I close the rom by opening the retroarch menu item and selecting Close Retroarch. How are you closing the rom and getting back into Kodi?
The Lutris window was not persistent when I made the video, but this feature was introduced afterwards. However, the next Lutris version should fix this issue. See this ticket on GitHub: https://github.com/lutris/lutris/issues/578

As for closing Retroarch, you should be able to assign a hotkey or combination of keys to close it. This video should get you on the right track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSO-iF8AMVQ
I followed this guide and got things up and functioning using the new Leia Beta1. Only issue I came across is that after I installed the nVidia driver, I dont' get the splash screen appearing anymore on bootup. It does appear when I initiate a shutdown. Any ideas?
Read and follow the first answer to this question on AskUbuntu. How to fix plymouth (splash screen) in all Ubuntu releases!
Didn't work but not the end of the world. Its just an aesthetic thing anyway. Maybe order of installation matters. I'll play around with it. Bigger issue though for me is the fact that if I put the machine in sleep mode and then wake it up it goes to the Xubuntu login screen and not back to Kodi.
To fix your problem you should log into the Xubuntu session and go to Settings->Power and disable the option that says lock the screen when entering suspend.
Will do. Thx.
Thanks for this guide solbero - I had not come across it last week when I was trying out a fresh installation. I tried installation with Ubuntu Server + X + Kodi + kodi-standalone-service. After enabling the service using systemctl enable kodi, I get a system that boots to kodi directly.

Two questions:
1) If I need only Kodi on my HTPC, would you still recommend the lightdm + openbox + kodi-openbox session? What is better vs. the service approach?

2) Your guide starts with MinimalCD and the link mentions this:
Quote:While the minimal iso image is handy, it isn't useful for installing on UEFI-based systems that you want to run in UEFI mode. The mini iso lacks the proper files for booting the computer in UEFI mode. Thus, the computer will boot in BIOS compatibility mode, and the installation will be in BIOS mode.
The Ubuntu Server that I tried appears to have unnecessary services and mini.iso does not support UEFI boot. Any thoughts other than this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUIDE: Making a gaming home theater PC with Kodi and Lutris0