• 66(current)
Android Passthrough Changes with v17
(2017-12-01, 03:06)HerbertWest Wrote:
(2017-11-30, 23:04)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-11-30, 00:43)HerbertWest Wrote: Hm, then I would have to toss DTS passthrough in my case. (New Firestick)

Not that great a deal. There's a workaround for the "showing no menus" problem that works in most cases. You can just fast forward till the menu reloads and usually it appears then.
This issue should still be fixed, as it is very annoying, I think, but I'm not giving up DTS for this comparatively minor nuisance.   
New firestick does not need a shitty build. It does DTS / AC3 by default.   
My Firestick 2017 incl. Alexa didn't do it with official Kodi 17.3, that's why I'm on shitty. I don't know anything about the new 3rd Gen Fire TV, though.

Or does this mean the 18.x nightly versions again include DTS passthrough? With 17.3, DTS wasn't even in the settings on my Kodi/Firestick set. 

No. We support proper SW implementation.  The new firestick (released 8 weeks ago) has proper DTS support. The older FireTV sticks don't. As amazon does not want you to have them. BTW. they patched OUT DTS in RAW mode again from the 3rd gen, but did overlook the new IEC format ... that's the only reason that stick will have DTS supported. If you did not get that yet: amazon only wants to provide to you the limit implementation to fully play THEIR content and nothing else.

I don't even understand why one would support such a company, that does everything to break the SW (Android has good working DTS support since more than 1 year now) ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-12-01, 09:19)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-11-30, 23:04)fritsch Wrote: New firestick does not need a shitty build. It does DTS / AC3 by default.   
My Firestick 2017 incl. Alexa didn't do it with official Kodi 17.3, that's why I'm on shitty. I don't know anything about the new 3rd Gen Fire TV, though.

Or does this mean the 18.x nightly versions again include DTS passthrough? With 17.3, DTS wasn't even in the settings on my Kodi/Firestick set.  

No. We support proper SW implementation.  The new firestick (released 8 weeks ago) has proper DTS support. The older FireTV sticks don't. As amazon does not want you to have them. BTW. they patched OUT DTS in RAW mode again from the 3rd gen, but did overlook the new IEC format ... that's the only reason that stick will have DTS supported. If you did not get that yet: amazon only wants to provide to you the limit implementation to fully play THEIR content and nothing else.

I don't even understand why one would support such a company, that does everything to break the SW (Android has good working DTS support since more than 1 year now) ... 
I only heard about the 4k Fire TV coming out new some weeks ago, but that is just a dongle version of the old boxes, not a stick. I'm european, so I don't know whether anything has been thrown at the market in other areas, though.
So as I understand it from this thread, that 3rd gen gear is able to do DTS passthrough again, but not DTS HD-MA and TRUE HD. How does it act when DTS HD is thrown at it within Kodi, some BluRay folder/iso etc.? Will it still give out plain DTS via optical output from HDMI extractor then from these sources or just crash or decline to play this kind of audio?
(2017-12-01, 17:52)HerbertWest Wrote: So as I understand it from this thread, that 3rd gen gear is able to do DTS passthrough again, but not DTS HD-MA and TRUE HD. How does it act when DTS HD is thrown at it within Kodi, some BluRay folder/iso etc.? Will it still give out plain DTS via optical output from HDMI extractor then from these sources or just crash or decline to play this kind of audio?

Just disable DTS-HD / TrueHD in kodi and we pass the core or transcode to AC3 for the latter. They did not implement IEC 8 channel 192 khz spec -> no support for that.

Buy something else it has further limitations.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello.
I opened a separate thread but I guess that I should have asked here:
Brand new Sony X900E.
Upgraded to Android N.
Connected to my old Denon 3803 receiver via SPDIF from the TV.

I can play AC3 without issues and I see my receiver switching to AC3 (it even said AC3 EX on one of the movies...).
Trying to play a standard DTS file would result in the total loss of audio (I will not be able to play the same AC3 movie that worked earlier).

Any suggestions? is this specific to spdif or will it happen with a new receiver via ARC as well?
Other than that I was really surprised to see Kodi working so well and smooth on the TV, solving this would mean that my TV would be able to work independently which is great.
Thanks.
(2017-11-30, 23:04)fritsch Wrote: New firestick does not need a shitty build. It does DTS / AC3 by default.   

I didn't try with the new FTV stick yet (connected to a stereo only device) but the newly released Fire TV with 4k support has some major audio issues with Kodi 17.6 (same for 17.5, didn't try older releases on it). Whenever I activate pass-through I have no audio at all most of the time, regardless the input, showing PCM2.0 on the receiver. I have to disable pass-through and then the sound gets converted (!) to DD 3/2, again regardless what's the input. Sometimes AC3 tracks get through fine.
And no, I didn't activate transcoding. Simply set speaker configuration to 5.1.
It's working quite OK most of the time but video stutters/freezes on higher bit-rates (?, scenes with smoke or much action), although the network is working fine on 5GHz (2.4GHz is a mess with constant freezes). I have a 100 Mbit throughput on WiFi from the Internet on 5GHz, around 34 on 2.4GHz so I'd expect to have even more from my NAS but still these freezes. Higher chance of freezing when playing DTS.

I bought the new Fire TV because I was expecting that the audio issues will be gone as the device is running on Android 7.1 with API level 25 but sadly, it's still the same as on the older models with API 21.
(2017-12-04, 19:27)Khesarr Wrote:
(2017-12-01, 03:06)HerbertWest Wrote: My Firestick 2017 incl. Alexa didn't do it with official Kodi 17.3, that's why I'm on shitty. I don't know anything about the new 3rd Gen Fire TV, though.

I didn't try with the new FTV stick yet (connected to a stereo only device) but the newly released Fire TV with 4k support has some major audio issues with Kodi 17.6 (same for 17.5, didn't try older releases on it). Whenever I activate pass-through I have no audio at all most of the time, regardless the input, showing PCM2.0 on the receiver. I have to disable pass-through and then the sound gets converted (!) to DD 3/2, again regardless what's the input. Sometimes AC3 tracks get through fine.
It's working quite OK most of the time but video stutters/freezes on higher bit-rates (?, scenes with smoke or much action), although the network is working fine on 5GHz (2.4GHz is a mess with constant freezes). I have a 100 Mbit throughput on WiFi from the Internet on 5GHz, around 34 on 2.4GHz so I'd expect to have even more from my NAS but still these freezes. Higher chance of freezing when playing DTS.

I bought the new Fire TV because I was expecting that the audio issues will be gone as the device is running on Android 7.1 with API level 25 but sadly, it's still the same as on the older models with API 21. 

Did you try it with a 2.0 speaker configuration?  That's the only configuration that gives me DD/DTS on my FireTV 4K (1st gen 4K).  A 5.1 configuration would be asking for multi-channel direct PCM output or bitstream for more than 2 channels (i.e. TrueHD or Master HD), and it sounds like FireTV still doesn't support bitstream over more than 2 channels (because Amazon has no use for it and doesn't want to lose business to someone making an app for something better).
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
(2017-12-04, 23:23)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2017-12-04, 19:27)Khesarr Wrote:
(2017-12-01, 09:19)fritsch Wrote: No. We support proper SW implementation.  The new firestick (released 8 weeks ago) has proper DTS support. The older FireTV sticks don't. As amazon does not want you to have them. BTW. they patched OUT DTS in RAW mode again from the 3rd gen, but did overlook the new IEC format ... that's the only reason that stick will have DTS supported. If you did not get that yet: amazon only wants to provide to you the limit implementation to fully play THEIR content and nothing else.

Did you try it with a 2.0 speaker configuration?  That's the only configuration that gives me DD/DTS on my FireTV 4K (1st gen 4K).  A 5.1 configuration would be asking for multi-channel direct PCM output or bitstream for more than 2 channels (i.e. TrueHD or Master HD), and it sounds like FireTV still doesn't support bitstream over more than 2 channels (because Amazon has no use for it and doesn't want to lose business to someone making an app for something better).  
Tried with different sources (DD, DTS, DTS-HD) just before. When set to 2.0, pass-through enabled, DD/DTS capability disabled (so only pass-through is ticked, nothing else) and DSP disabled, I am able to even play DTS-HD. Didn't try for longer than a few seconds but so far it looked fine.
Still showing DD 3/2.1 on the receiver though. Will check later if I still need to tune audio delay (~250ms) as before. --> yes, still needed.

Edit: Receiver is also showing DD 3/2.1 on Stereo Input. So every input gets converted to DD5.1, regardless of through-put active or not. On ticking one of the capable options I'm losing audio completely.
I've been running with compromised builds (shitty) for a while now on my 4k ATV. I thought the move to an FTV 4K would give me everything I want but the build does not render 3d films to 2d and more importantly and the purpose of this thread, audio is compromised.

To that end I'm looking at alternative hardware with the following requirements
  1. 4k Capable
  2. run latest builds
  3. API v24 upwards capable
I'm looking at various options from inc  nVidia shield, Minix and WeTek and an interesting U2C 7.1 Android box with better spec than most.

I guess the question is what boxes are people using that totally resolve the audio issues discussed in this threadHuh

TIA
XBOX SlimDVD 128Mb graphics Mem Smartxx V3 all in a DVD player case
But now it all runs on a PC> ion330> 4k FireTV> nVidia Shield
Where there's a will there's a way!
Check the Vero 4K.
(2017-12-06, 13:19)angelitto Wrote: Check the Vero 4K.
 Looks interesting but I've been XBMC/Kodi for 10 years. I see no reason to change.
I'd rather stay with mainstream kodi
XBOX SlimDVD 128Mb graphics Mem Smartxx V3 all in a DVD player case
But now it all runs on a PC> ion330> 4k FireTV> nVidia Shield
Where there's a will there's a way!
3D renders to 2D here on my FireTV 4K, but playback isn't reliably smooth over the network.  It acts like it doesn't have enough bandwidth or decoding power or something (same movies play fine in 2D locally on my Mac server).  It will play smooth for 15 seconds or so and then go choppy and then smooth (like rebuffering behavior).  I just made 2D conversions of all my 3D films (FTV can't do MVC anyway so it's worthless as side-by-side loses half the horizontal resolution).  True 3D playback requires specific hardware for MVC support and custom versions of KODI.  Ideally, THAT is the box I want in the future so I don't have to use the BD discs to watch a MVC 3D movie.  The whole point of KODI for me is to get rid of those awful optical discs that you have to look for and move around the house and put up with awful previews and menus, etc.  I see little point in buying yet ANOTHER box that can't do MVC (at least for my main home theater as that has a 3D projector and 93" screen) as it would just have to be replaced again.  As it is, I only have 6.1 sound and older receiver so master sound is moot for now and I watch my 3D movies off the discs on a PS4.  Since they only work in one room in the house anyway, decentralizing isn't as important as the 2D stuff. 

It'd be nice if full KODI were available for AppleTV 4K since it now finally has an Amazon Prime player, making it capable of playing pretty much everything (whereas Google just killed their YouTube app on FireTV, jerks that they are, not that it would play their movies anyway, but since Movies Anywhere came out, that's not really an issue anymore save a few studios not playing along.  Actually, that means my FireTV can play my iTunes movies I bought from them now even without direct Apple support, but not rentals.  I think my point is that it would be nice if there were a nice one box that does everything solution (not just KODI, but all streaming services I might use).  The problem with many custom KODI boxes is that's about the only thing they do (or you practically need a mouse to use them).
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Hi all, there are 18 kodi shitty?
Just out of curiosity: I own a Sony 55A1 which I hook up to a surround receiver by optical. DD works fine. Does anyone know why DTS will not work via Kodi (17.6)? The interesting thing is that the TV itself does DTS passthrough through the optical link of the TV, if I play a source from a samsung bluray player connected by HDMI directly to the TV. So the TV appearently copies the incoming DTS signal from the HDMI to the optical out of the TV.
Hi guys. I just got a Shield TV 2017 hooked up to my LG B7A. With the TV outputting audio to my receiver via optical. When I play movies with true HD and dts-hd audio tracks only get PCM 2.0 audio to my receiver. My TV is capable of deciding these formats. When checking further under kodi's system settings I see that pass through is selected but no HAD audio codecs show up as options. Only DTS, Dolby and Dolby plus. Can someone help me set up shields audio options so I can pass HAD audio to my TV for decoding?

Sent from my Nexus 5X
  • 66(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough Changes with v178