• 154(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
To use LibreELEC i must buy S905X or S912 TV Box? (On the LibreELEC forum i read "If you consider buying a device for LE, do not buy Amlogic S912!")

If S912, i must download v.8.2.1.1  or v.8.2.1.2 LibreELEC?

Thanks
(2017-12-12, 20:04)mamachan Wrote: Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
To use LibreELEC i must buy S905X or S912 TV Box? (On the LibreELEC forum i read "If you consider buying a device for LE, do not buy Amlogic S912!")

If S912, i must download v.8.2.1.1  or v.8.2.1.2 LibreELEC?

Thanks

You might want to double check the date of the comment re: S912. There’s a post over there that says that, but is then crossed out.

Sent from my iPhone
Hi, I am now leaning towards the Vero 4K and have a few questions.

1) Do you have to use Ethernet to stream a 40-50GB BDremux?
2) Does OSMC differ visually from vanilla Kodi?  How far behind official Kodi releases is the OSMC developer?  I like running beta Kodi releases and don't really want to wait for final releases to experience new features.
3) Is Vero 4K competitive pricewise with other top Kodi boxes?
4) I have always used SMB and am not familiar with using other types of networking for media streaming.  Is there a learning curve and would I be missing out on anything by switching from SMB if I went the Vero 4K route?
5) Does using IR for the remote (instead of bluetooth) mean that I can't mount the box behind a wall-mounted TV?
6) Is the Mi aftermarket remote compatible with Vero 4K?
(2017-12-13, 05:10)Knocks Wrote: Hi, I am now leaning towards the Vero 4K and have a few questions.

2) Does OSMC differ visually from vanilla Kodi?  How far behind official Kodi releases is the OSMC developer?  I like running beta Kodi releases and don't really want to wait for final releases to experience new features.
4) I have always used SMB and am not familiar with using other types of networking for media streaming.  Is there a learning curve and would I be missing out on anything by switching from SMB if I went the Vero 4K route?
5) Does using IR for the remote (instead of bluetooth) mean that I can't mount the box behind a wall-mounted TV?
1. File size is not the relevant parameter, overall bitrate is. I always recommend wired for media watching, YMMV with wireless.

2. OSMC has it's own skin, but you can install any Kodi skin and have it look like any other Kodi install. There are a couple of extra menu items for OSMC's config utilities.

3. For what you get, I think it is.

4. There is no reason to stop using SMB with Vero 4K

5. It depends, some IR transmitters are strong and the receivers are sensitive, they may work around corners. Some aren't.

6. Which Mi remote? If it is bluetooth it should work.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-12-13, 05:10)Knocks Wrote: Hi, I am now leaning towards the Vero 4K and have a few questions.

We include a remote eye and a TV mounting kit for those that want to hide their device behind a TV or perhaps in a cupboard and want to still use IR.
There's also an included RF remote which does not require line of sight.

OSMC's current release is based on 17.5. There is a monthly update, but we did not release anything in November. There will be an update in a few days. The reason behind the delay is because of OSMC prep for Debian Stretch. All improvements in 17.6 had already been backported to OSMC's 17.5 Kodi build, so the bump in Kodi version will be purely cosmetic anyway.

There are Kodi v18 builds which are produced on an almost daily basis. See https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/testing-kodi...-4k/23059/. These are of course experimental as Kodi v18 has not yet reached Alpha status. 

The Vero 4K comes with five years of updates from Feb 2017, so it should serve you for a few years yet and stay on top of developments. 

Sam
All AMLogic - LibreELEC Software release support and discussion over on the LE forums please - there is a massive LibreELEC Sub-forum already for all that.

First of all thank you for all the hard work and great information @wrxtasy !!

I was wondering if the new Intel NUC's will run 4K and Atmos with either OPENELEC or Libreelec? (If so any preference on i5 vs i3?) I set up an Amlogic S912 with Libreelec which runs pretty well but I would like something with a little more power for addons/skins. I'm running Kodi only, wired to dedicated network streaming local via SMB from FreeNAS.
Cheers.

Not sure on the current reliability of HD Audio / Atmos passthrough status with Linux / LibreELEC on on 4K 10bit Hardware decode capable Apollo / Kaby Lake.
I think a bunch of Intel guys just want a proper HDMI 2.0 connector, vs the problematic (for Linux / LibreELEC) Apollo / Kaby Lake DP> HDMI adapter. That HDMI 2.0 connector looks like it is coming very soon with Intel Gemini Lake.

There is this POST - no idea what OS is used.

Intel Apollo / Kaby Lake - LibreELEC users want to chime in here regarding current HD Audio passthrough status ?

HDR 4K Kodi Krypton is not supported when using any Intel Hardware at the moment.

Q. have you done this MOD (click) to the AML S912 box yet. It should speed up LE a wee bit !

(2017-12-15, 08:40)wrxtasy Wrote: Cheers.

Not sure on the current reliability of HD Audio / Atmos passthrough status with Linux / LibreELEC on on 4K 10bit Hardware decode capable Apollo / Kaby Lake.
I think a bunch of Intel guys just want a proper HDMI 2.0 connector, vs the problematic (for Linux / LibreELEC) Apollo / Kaby Lake DP> HDMI adapter. That HDMI 2.0 connector looks like it is coming very soon with Intel Gemini Lake.

There is this POST - no idea what OS is used.

Intel Apollo / Kaby Lake - LibreELEC users want to chime in here regarding current HD Audio passthrough status ?

HDR 4K Kodi Krypton is not supported when using any Intel Hardware at the moment.

Q. have you done this MOD (click) to the AML S912 box yet. It should speed up LE a wee bit ! 
Thanks for the additional info. I will likely stick with the S912 for a while until something better comes along. 

As for my LE install on the S912 I have it running completely on internal as I didn't need anything from the android side of things and wanted the hardware dedicated to LE. It's not that it's terribly slow, it runs faster than my fire TV's I just run the skin Aeon MQ7 and have a lot of animated art and a lot of artwork in general so that doesn't help when going through the menu's. When videos are playing everything works great. I did just figure out that I wasn't getting audio passthrough for DTS-HD and other audio codecs as I had the "sync playback to display" option selected which was disabling passthrough...doh...
There is another @kszaq S912 update on the AML LE Sub-forum just released that gives the Mali GPU - GUI performance a wee kick. Seems a bit snappier. Smile

Ha Ha - Yes that 'ol Sync Playback to Display, gets nearly everyone it seems that wants Passthrough Audio working.

I have a shiny new Samsung 7000 series UHD Smart TV and want to get a Kodi box to go with it.  I think I have read virtually every post in this thread and I'm still stuck and bewildered by the array of boxes out there.

I have a NAS that has my DVDs and CD's that have been ripped to digital files.  They are not 4K.

On an older, non-smart tv, I had been using a Boxee box that I had installed Kodi 14.x (the best version that would run on the Boxee).  I thought it was great, so I want to be using Kodi again.  That Boxee is still with the old TV and I won't be using it with the new TV.

The UHD TV has Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Plex and others built right in.  Presumably those apps can handle 4K streaming tasks should I want to use them.

Since the TV has Plex built in, I have been using it to access files on the NAS, but only from a Plex server that exists on a desktop computer elsewhere in my house.  The NAS itself is not powerful enough to be a server.

I have come to the conclusion that I really don't like Plex and want to get back into using Kodi for library access as well as to access services like CBC, the BBC, ITV, etc.

I like the look and apparent quality of Minix boxes.  Price and looks wise, I'm leaning to the Minix Neo X6 even though I know is rather outdated in late 2017.  Considering I don't think I need the 4K aspect of things, it seems to me to be a good choice.  However, looking on the Canadian Amazon page, there are loads of weirdly named Android boxes that are roughly the same price that claim to be ultra powerful and the best at everything, but I'm skeptical.

What could you guys recommend for me?  As long as I have clear instructions, I'm not afraid of a more roundabout way of installing Kodi, after all, I managed to install it on my Boxee Box.

So, tl;dr:
Want quality box to run Kodi and only Kodi.  Don't think I really need to care about 4K.  Prefer Canada based supplier/store.

Thanks for your time and advice.
Welcome.

I would advise against buying the MINIX X6 these days because it is pretty old 2014 AMLogic S805 tech that cannot even decode 1080p 10bit HEVC video content that you WILL run into these days. You really are going to be limiting yourself too much.

If using Android, the only boxes that can run Android Kodi Krypton need to have Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Firmware as a minimum operating system. And for MINIX boxes that means buying the U9-H.

If you want MINIX and to run DIY LibreELEC Kodi Krypton (easy to do), either buy the U1 or U9-H. Both of those setups will be really nice in proven hardware that has properly engineered thermal heat control with quality wireless remotes included. The MINIX A2 lite remote is one of my personal favorites. Smile

If you are even thinking about HDR video playback you need to buy the U9.

Plug n Play, Kodi only = buying a Vero 4K, another quality option with excellent after sales support.

(2017-12-17, 02:33)wrxtasy Wrote: Welcome.

I would advise against buying the MINIX X6 these days because it is pretty old 2014 AMLogic S805 tech that cannot even decode 1080p 10bit HEVC video content that you WILL run into these days. You really are going to be limiting yourself too much.

If using Android, the only boxes that can run Android Kodi Krypton need to have Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Firmware as a minimum operating system. And for MINIX boxes that means buying the U9-H.

If you want MINIX and to run DIY LibreELEC Kodi Krypton (easy to do), either buy the U1 or U9-H. Both of those setups will be really nice in proven hardware that has properly engineered thermal heat control with quality wireless remotes included. The MINIX A2 lite remote is one of my personal favorites. Smile

If you are even thinking about HDR video playback you need to buy the U9.

Plug n Play, Kodi only = buying a Vero 4K, another quality option with excellent after sales support.
The Vero 4K has a Canadian distributor. See http://elmwoodelectronics.ca/products/vero-4k

Sam
Thank you all for the advice. I think I'll steer clear of the el cheapo Android boxes. In Canada, the Minix U1 is about CAD$170 and the U9-H is CAD$210 on Amazon.  The Vero 4k is also CAD$210 at Elmwood.  From what I've read, the Vero seems to be the superior unit compared to the U1.

For any others interested in the Vero, the manufacturer's website is offering a 10% discount which works out to about CAD$180, so it's probably worth the extra 10 bucks over the U1.  Offer at https://osmc.tv/vero/ is only good until Dec 20th.
Hello, i see all you post about kodi, i install libreelec on my rasp.... but of course not compatible with atmos.
I decided to buy a box, i bought x96 androidbox with kodi... BUT i really not happy of it... to lag with my movies on network.

so what can you recommand me ? thx a lot

sorry if it's a stupid question...
  • 154(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28