• 67(current)
Android Passthrough Changes with v17
With toslink (optical) it’s not possible to get hd audio to work.

You need to connect your shield to one of your receiver‘s hdmi inputs and you need to connect your tv to one of your receiver‘s hdmi outputs. The complete chain must be hdmi.

Greetings Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2017-12-10, 04:57)Talguy Wrote: Hi guys. I just got a Shield TV 2017 hooked up to my LG B7A. With the TV outputting audio to my receiver via optical. When I play movies with true HD and dts-hd audio tracks only get PCM 2.0 audio to my receiver. My TV is capable of deciding these formats. When checking further under kodi's system settings I see that pass through is selected but no HAD audio codecs show up as options. Only DTS, Dolby and Dolby plus. Can someone help me set up shields audio options so I can pass HAD audio to my TV for decoding?

Sent from my Nexus 5X
Optical doesn't support DTS-HD or True-HD.
(2017-12-10, 10:30)Hitcher Wrote:
(2017-12-10, 04:57)Talguy Wrote: Hi guys. I just got a Shield TV 2017 hooked up to my LG B7A. With the TV outputting audio to my receiver via optical. When I play movies with true HD and dts-hd audio tracks only get PCM 2.0 audio to my receiver. My TV is capable of deciding these formats. When checking further under kodi's system settings I see that pass through is selected but no HAD audio codecs show up as options. Only DTS, Dolby and Dolby plus. Can someone help me set up shields audio options so I can pass HAD audio to my TV for decoding?

Sent from my Nexus 5X
 Yes I know that.  I want my TV to do the decoding and transcoding to create the format required for optical audio transmission.
Hi,
A little help please. I have DD, DTS 5.1 speakers system connected to a Sony 55XD8005 tv via optical cable. I managed to make the right setting for passthrough (2.0, transcoded AC3, they also work with the video sync option activated). Now I added a jack cable from the same tv to the same speakers and when my girlfriend watchea TV she just swaps the input from the speakers remote on jack and afterwards she can control the sound from the TV remote. Switch back the speakers to optical input, it works perfectly.
The problem is I cannot replicate the same behaviour in Kodi - when the jack cable is connected, Kodi gives output only through it, and nothing on the optical output. Can I set Kodi somehow so it will use the optical output as default? When I'm in kodi I am not interested on having signal via the jack cable - it s only purpose is for my girlfriend to be able to use only one remote when watching Tv.

Thank you!
(2017-12-12, 22:44)badalien Wrote: Hi,
A little help please. I have DD, DTS 5.1 speakers system connected to a Sony 55XD8005 tv via optical cable. I managed to make the right setting for passthrough (2.0, transcoded AC3, they also work with the video sync option activated). Now I added a jack cable from the same tv to the same speakers and when my girlfriend watchea TV she just swaps the input from the speakers remote on jack and afterwards she can control the sound from the TV remote. Switch back the speakers to optical input, it works perfectly.
The problem is I cannot replicate the same behaviour in Kodi - when the jack cable is connected, Kodi gives output only through it, and nothing on the optical output. Can I set Kodi somehow so it will use the optical output as default? When I'm in kodi I am not interested on having signal via the jack cable - it s only purpose is for my girlfriend to be able to use only one remote when watching Tv.

Thank you!

We detect if headphone is plugged in, which the jack cable is - and disable passthrough out of very, very good reason. I can make you a build ignoring the head sink ... but that's nothing kodi should do in general.

Building: http://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/Android-ARM/7704/
Will land here, with "ignoreheadphone" in name: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks a lot fritsch. Is there any (major) risk of using this option? Or why do you say it should disable the passthrough?
(2017-12-12, 23:16)badalien Wrote: Thanks a lot fritsch. Is there any (major) risk of using this option? Or why do you say it should disable the passthrough?
 In older days with "shitty" PCM passthrough by default. You would have directly and 100% killed your ears when having a headphone on your head and watching passthrough. Full high volume noise directly on your head. That's why it's there to save users from theirselves :-)

Now - on standard machines that use proper Android API nothing should happen anymore, only that some users might get confused by e.g. enabling PT and not hearing anything anymore on their plugged in headphones. In short: handle with care.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-12-10, 15:24)Talguy Wrote:

Sent from my Nexus 5X
 Yes I know that.  I want my TV to do the decoding and transcoding to create the format required for optical audio transmission. 
I'm not sure how and what LG does, but...... Even if you input some lossles and/or object based formats you will still get only lossy core audio format out from your TV. The same one that you'll get if your shiled outputs only lossy DTS/AC3 and then TV just passthrough that to your AVR. What you want wouldn't make any difference.
Try playing those files directly on your TV and see (hear) what is happening.
(2017-12-12, 22:48)fritsch Wrote:

Thank you!

We detect if headphone is plugged in, which the jack cable is - and disable passthrough out of very, very good reason. I can make you a build ignoring the head sink ... but that's nothing kodi should do in general.

Will land here, with "ignoreheadphone" in name: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/ 
I tried the build this evening but on Audio output 2.0, Passthrough On, DD transcoding On it only plays a ticking sound, no matter which input I select on my speakers. As soon as I unplug the jack cable, it works ok on the optical connection. Is there any setting that I have to do additionaly?
(2017-12-13, 21:10)badalien Wrote:
(2017-12-12, 22:48)fritsch Wrote:

Thank you!

I tried the build this evening but on Audio output 2.0, Passthrough On, DD transcoding On it only plays a ticking sound, no matter which input I select on my speakers. As soon as I unplug the jack cable, it works ok on the optical connection. Is there any setting that I have to do additionaly? 
 No. That basically means your android does something under the hood for you. Post a Debug Log and we can perhaps see what it does.
First thing: I have put in the time to read this thread from first to last post and have found some solutions to my issues but not all so I would like to get some professional help.

Long story short I bought my self a new "smart" TV Philips 65PUS6412/12 with Android Marshmallow on.
Problem started with the "Passthrough of DTS issue" but with a few hours of reading this thread and fiddling with the setting sorted that out. As good as it can Smile
Problem now is audio sync on DTS. DD works fine, DD+ och DTS-MA have the same issues as DTS.

It can sometimes be corrected by skipping ahead/back just a few seconds and it re-syncs but it can lose it half way through.
Side note: Have a Plex app that have the exact same issue, have even tried the Plex plugin to Kodi but same same.

Done my homework and put a log up: KODI LOG
Did i fiddle to much or not enough?
(2017-12-10, 15:24)Talguy Wrote:

I have a LG C7P. It won't work ether way, Opitical or having the Nvidia Shield hooked to the tv.  I have tried both. What you need to do is have a HDMI going to the receiver from the tv (I used HDMI/ARC), and another HDMI from the Shield  to the receiver. Then it will work. Video will pass through the receiver to the screen. Audio will go from the shield to receiver. Mine shows DTS-HD and True HD.
Hello @fritsch,
For HiMedia Q Pro series is possible to get Kodi 18.0-ALPHA1 or Kodi 17.6 detect firmware implements DTS-HD RAW but audio stream DTS-HD is out put as DTS core.
When have some time please look on full debug log maybe is possible to get fixed from source code of Kodi.
Quote:NOTICE: Trying to open: 48000 samplerate 6396 channelMask 8 encoding
DEBUG: Minimum size we need for stream: 2886
DEBUG: Opening Passthrough RAW Format: STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD Sink SampleRate: 48000
DEBUG: Created Audiotrackbuffer with playing time of 85.333333 ms min buffer size: 66432 bytes
DEBUG: CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec::GetPicture VC_BUFFER
DEBUG: CVideoPlayerVideo::CalcDropRequirement - hurry: 0
DEBUG: CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec::AddData dts:41699.67 pts:41699.67 sz:158 indexBuffer:3 current state (3)
NOTICE: CAESinkAUDIOTRACK::Initializing with: m_sampleRate: 48000 format: AE_FMT_RAW (AE) method: RAW (PT) stream-type: STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD min_buffer_size: 66432 m_frames: 66432 m_frameSize: 1 channels: 8
DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - AUDIOTRACK Initialized:
DEBUG:   Output Device : android
DEBUG:   Sample Rate   : 48000
DEBUG:   Sample Format : AE_FMT_RAW
DEBUG:   Channel Count : 8
DEBUG:   Channel Layout: FL, FR, FC, LFE, BL, BR, SL, SR
DEBUG:   Frames        : 66432
DEBUG:   Frame Size    : 1
DEBUG: CVideoPlayerVideo::CalcDropRequirement - hurry: 0
DEBUG: CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec::AddData dts:83410.78 pts:208533.00 sz:156 indexBuffer:0 current state (3)

Full debug log for Kodi 18.0-ALPHA1 here / Kodi 17.6 here.

Thanks on advance for yours time.
Hi there,

First of all, kindly thanks for all the effort that goes into keeping this thing alive!

I have been reading around the web for the good part of the day trying to solve the issue with my android tv / kodi krypton and my 5.1 surround setup (using optical).
My philips android tv never did make it to marshmallow although it was promised, so from what I have understand I have no way of getting native DTS with the latest builds of Kodi (and probably plex too - which is actually why i came to kodi - i use the plex addon).

I followed all the settings and I get DD with most ac3 and other 5.1 formats, also DTS source movie end up in DD (transcoded probably), which is understandable after reading the explanations.
I can get DTS  when I connect my laptop via HDMI (instead of streaming) to the TV - which is connected to the avr via the optical out. Probably, because this bypasses the software limitations of the TV, right? 

So, the main question is: Is there a version of kodi I can use and still have working DTS (+  DD / AC3)? I read about the shitty builds and all but honestly I have no clue which build would be correct for me? I would be really grateful if someone points me into the right direction. I really want a solution to finally watch movies in Kodi with native DTS instead of having to plug in the hdmi and using my laptop.. 

Thanks!!
Jaka
@"jasuin" 

Jaka, read the thread.  The shitty version is what you want.  Grab the newest build and THAT'S IT!  There is nothing else to figure out.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
  • 67(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough Changes with v178