• 4(current)
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware
@boris blank thank you for the response.  hmmm, ok, so for clarification Kodi can be installed using a PC but MrMC would need to use a mac?  How do you like the Shield and the Google ecosystem?  Do you use it for gaming at all or just streaming apps and Kodi?
(2018-01-03, 03:03)dR03 Wrote: @boris blank thank you for the response.  hmmm, ok, so for clarification Kodi can be installed using a PC but MrMC would need to use a mac?  How do you like the Shield and the Google ecosystem?  Do you use it for gaming at all or just streaming apps and Kodi?

Shield has better gaming options. There is android gaming, then nvidia game stream, and then the best one is GeForce streaming from an nvidia PC. I don’t have a 4k capable PC but I’m told you can stream 4K games to shield.

Apple TV can leverage moonlight for the same purpose but I am not sure how well that works.

There is a five and take for both devices. Right now the perfect device would be a complete combo of the two Smile
(2018-01-03, 03:09)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2018-01-03, 03:03)dR03 Wrote: @boris blank thank you for the response.  hmmm, ok, so for clarification Kodi can be installed using a PC but MrMC would need to use a mac?  How do you like the Shield and the Google ecosystem?  Do you use it for gaming at all or just streaming apps and Kodi?

Shield has better gaming options. There is android gaming, then nvidia game stream, and then the best one is GeForce streaming from an nvidia PC. I don’t have a 4k capable PC but I’m told you can stream 4K games to shield.

Apple TV can leverage moonlight for the same purpose but I am not sure how well that works.

There is a five and take for both devices. Right now the perfect device would be a complete combo of the two Smile  
Absolutely, I agree!  If ATV4K fully supported Kodi natively, man that would be the true all in one!
MrMC can be installed directly on to the ATV4k, no need for a Mac. MrMC is a Kodi offshoot, it works very well indeed, don't be put off that's it's not mentioned much around here, this is a Kodi forum, not a MrMC one.

I've got both the Shield and the ATV4k, with the latest SPMC nightly, I'd agree with ozkhan1, there's not much between them. The Google Android environment works very well, Apple is new to me but honestly I'm equally impressed with it.

The one thing ATV4k has over the Shield is more access to 4k movies via iTunes. Bare in mind, I am in the UK, I think in the US, Amazon Prime has 4k movies so maybe not so much of an advantage if you are based there although the iTunes 4k selection is still larger than Amazon's I think and more upto date.

I have had the Shield for about 2 years, I love it but it's only in the last few months that it's went from great to excellent thanks to SPMC/Kodi and firmware updates.  The ATV4k has only been around for about 4 months and is already excellent. Whichever you choose, you'll be getting the best there is!

Oh, one advantage the Shield has over the ATV4k, you can use a mouse on it for Kodi/SPMC. Don't underestimate the power of a mouse!

Now, having said that, I still don't know which one to keep hold of.......!
(2018-01-03, 09:09)boris blank Wrote: MrMC can be installed directly on to the ATV4k, no need for a Mac. MrMC is a Kodi offshoot, it works very well indeed, don't be put off that's it's not mentioned much around here, this is a Kodi forum, not a MrMC one.

I've got both the Shield and the ATV4k, with the latest SPMC nightly, I'd agree with ozkhan1, there's not much between them. The Google Android environment works very well, Apple is new to me but honestly I'm equally impressed with it.

The one thing ATV4k has over the Shield is more access to 4k movies via iTunes. Bare in mind, I am in the UK, I think in the US, Amazon Prime has 4k movies so maybe not so much of an advantage if you are based there although the iTunes 4k selection is still larger than Amazon's I think and more upto date.

I have had the Shield for about 2 years, I love it but it's only in the last few months that it's went from great to excellent thanks to SPMC/Kodi and firmware updates.  The ATV4k has only been around for about 4 months and is already excellent. Whichever you choose, you'll be getting the best there is!

Oh, one advantage the Shield has over the ATV4k, you can use a mouse on it for Kodi/SPMC. Don't underestimate the power of a mouse!

Now, having said that, I still don't know which one to keep hold of.......!
Whoa!  I just had my decision made for me.  Here in US, DirecTVnow is offering a FREE ATV4K if you prepay for 4 months of service ($35/mo) and you can cancel at anytime before trial period is over.

So I got 4 months of streaming service and a free 32GB ATV4K for $150 after tax.
That’s a good deal that I took advantage of myself, probably because they just launched it.

If I remember correctly shield tv had some similar deals back in ‘15.
Nice deal dR03!  Enjoy it you lucky, lucky man!
Thanks guys!  I'm pretty excited now.  I just need to figure out how to sideload Kodi now.  I have access to my sisters mac, so hopefully that will solve that issue for me.
Even better my friend, you've hit the ground running!  Welcome to the Kodi community, you're gonna have a great time!!
hi,

looking into buying s905x/s912 box for libreelec (currently running LE on RPI3), my reason for upgrading is:
  • 4K support
  • HDR support (HDR10 (dolbyVision))
  • need to maintain auto frame rate switching, and also auto colorspace switching.
1. Is dolby vision supported by any of the s9xx chips running kodi(LE)?

2. from the buying guides here and on LE forums, s905x/s912 is listed as 4k HDR, auto switching etc. compatible running LE, but the downloads for LE s912 contains warnings that I sould NOT buy s912 for LE.. is s905x better? could someone clarify this?
(2018-01-07, 13:10)shanix Wrote: hi,
2. from the buying guides here and on LE forums, s905x/s912 is listed as 4k HDR, auto switching etc. compatible running LE, but the downloads for LE s912 contains warnings that I sould NOT buy s912 for LE.. is s905x better? could someone clarify this? 

The S912 'don't buy' advice is slightly out of date. It was the perceived wisdom for a while - but the S912 is now more recommended than it was. (I think there are still no official Linux GPU drivers - but Android drivers have been repurposed into LibreElec builds - apologies if I've got this wrong)
Yes there are now a bunch of AMLogic LE guys using S912's without many problems at all. The GPU drivers issue only affected the Kodi Graphic User interface anyway, those GPU drivers have since been optimised too and are fine now for daily use with the Kodi GUI refreshing at 60 fps. Hardware video decoding always had No issues.

However further reading should be done regarding thermal SoC heat control, as some further DIY mods may be required for S912's:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2677498

S912's with all their processing cores run the hottest out of all the AMLogic family of Chipsets.
Not all media player hardware is created equal. At the dirt cheap end of the market corners have to be cut.

No DolbyVision support for LE S912's. Buy an AppleTV 4K if you want that and even then it will really only be for Apps like Netflix, maybe Amazon Video and VUDU.

Thanks.

I only require the HDR support for playback of locally stored files, apps like netflix and amazon run perfectly on my LG oled.

there might never be DolbyVision support? as it is not a free license?
I might as well get a decent s905x with gigabit as I don't see any other benefits of the s912 then, and the s905x sounds more stable.

any buying recommendations are welcome Wink
(2018-01-08, 12:43)shanix Wrote: Thanks.

I only require the HDR support for playback of locally stored files, apps like netflix and amazon run perfectly on my LG oled.

there might never be DolbyVision support? as it is not a free license?
I might as well get a decent s905x with gigabit as I don't see any other benefits of the s912 then, and the s905x sounds more stable.

any buying recommendations are welcome Wink

There are many and multiple flavours and implementations of Dolby Vision at the moment. The Blu-ray flavour (which is based on two streams) is significantly different to the streaming flavour (which is usually a single stream AIUI) for instance.  The Blu-ray standard is backwards compatible and so uses a non-DV stream (compatible with non-DV displays) + a secondary DV reconstruction stream at lower rate to create a DV end result. The streaming standard currently used sends a single, DV stream (as it knows the client is DV compatible).  These are two separate requirements (the former is a bit like MVC and 3D in some ways)

Personally I wouldn't base a Kodi purchasing decision currently on Kodi DV support on that platform (though if you want DV from a non-Kodi streaming source then that's a different matter) - though I would be thinking about it if I were buying a high-end OLED display.
double post
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware5