New version of TMDB common scraper incorrect artwork
The new 3.1.1 update (to metadata.common.themoviedb.org) adds movie set artwork to each movie in the set, poster as "set" and fanart as "setfanart". This is the wrong place for set artwork, please do not do this. Movie sets are media items that can have artwork assigned to them directly, Kodi just doesn't expose that to scrapers. Kodi should be updated to give scrapers that ability rather than this workaround.
Ha, this I find a bit strong language (not assuming there might be a good reason behind why we do things as we do), maybe in a question format it would have been more appropriate, but here is the answer:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13371

There is one last quirk (having Kodi to only show same images once in the art chooser dialog) to sort out before this will be merged, but that's coming.
That PR is unnecessary if you don't set the artwork to the incorrect place to begin with. This is the wrong way to go about, and works against the simple and powerful behavior of Kodi's existing artwork handling. What about other artwork like banner, clearlogo, landscape, clearart, discart that are already available, and then everything else that may come later? Kodi already has this problem solved, these changes reintroduce it.

Movie sets are media items themselves, and can have all of their artwork assigned directly to them. The better way to go forward is to patch up the bits of Kodi's existing movie set handling that don't work like the other media items: give scrapers the ability to set their artwork, and when building a movie ListItem (for skins or JSON-RPC) include set artwork as "set.[arttype]" automatically like it does for every other child media item in the library ("tvshow.clearlogo", "season.poster", "artist.fanart", "album.thumb").
i wrote this library in 2007, i designed the scraper system. and i still know what i am doing. your PR did not fix the issue at hand. mine is a workaround until i get around to actually fixing the mess introduced when the broken "powerful" artwork handling you are talking about was introduced. the existing code expects "set" aspect to add art for a set, so guess what, that's what the scrapers must do.
Even if there are more PRs coming that will prevent it from saving this artwork to every movie in the database, instead of the movie set to which it belongs, the scraper shouldn't have been updated first.

The scraper system should be updated to fill the database properly, rather than a quick workaround that adds junk to the database.
(2018-01-21, 14:14)rmrector Wrote: Even if there are more PRs coming that will prevent it from saving this artwork to every movie in the database, instead of the movie set to which it belongs, the scraper shouldn't have been updated first.

The scraper system should be updated to fill the database properly, rather than a quick workaround that adds junk to the database.
 Perhaps you can start to contribute to the actual scrapers and core code then instead of just stating we do everything wrong and you know better?
The current tone you're using isn't really appreciative towards those who actually maintain everything.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New version of TMDB common scraper incorrect artwork0