Req YouTube TV
So it seems that YouTube is jumping into the streaming TV game, competing with Sling, Playstation VUE, etc. Since the existing YouTube services are already Kodi compatible, might it be possible to have an add on for this new live TV service in the future?

Sure would be great to have a Live streaming TV option that was Kodi compatible, so I could ditch Android once and for all. (and not have to rely on those other options we can't discuss here. Which really aren't so reliable anyway)
Thread moved to add-on requests
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-04-06, 16:38)Nostrodamus Wrote: So it seems that YouTube is jumping into the streaming TV game, competing with Sling, Playstation VUE, etc. Since the existing YouTube services are already Kodi compatible, might it be possible to have an add on for this new live TV service in the future?

+1 for a "Youtube TV" addon.

To be honest, I don't understand why the Kodi community is not rushing to embrace these new so called skinny bundles.
(2017-04-07, 17:20)malch Wrote: To be honest, I don't understand why the Kodi community is not rushing to embrace these new so called skinny bundles.

Mostly because the legitimate content providers make it difficult or even impossible to access this content via a 3rd party (Kodi?) addon. Have you checked if Google provides an API or other options for this?

And as another general rule, they often don't want the customer to be outside their eco-system in the first place.

Add geo-locking and availability issues and all of a sudden it's not so simple for the Kodi Community (users, in this case) to embrace these types of media offerings, much as we might like to.

Undecided
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2017-04-07, 18:15)jmh2002 Wrote: And as another general rule, they often don't want the customer to be outside their eco-system in the first place.

Fair point. However, I reckon that most if not all of those services work with the Chrome browser. Chrome can be skinned and the source is available so maybe that's something to think about...?
Do you really think that if it was that easy nobody would have done it yet, given the amazing talent both here and in the wider addon community too? Give the developers some credit please. I may need to suggest that you please do a little more reading here first.

Yes there are some ways to open some other apps or browsers from Kodi. This is platform dependant.

Is this the same, as friendly, or as useful as running natively inside Kodi? Definitely not. In fact, its not much different to not using Kodi at all in those instances, since Kodi is effectively only opening a shortcut link. Additionally the final result is often not remote friendly.

For the most part we have been through the same scenario already with Netflix. It took quite a few years for someone to be able to make a true native addon work (unofficially), and this recently became available outside this community (AFAIK), but I have no idea about the current status. Possibly it's already been blocked by Netflix.

Im not knocking the overall idea of having such content available in Kodi, users are definitely waiting for it (why do you think the pirate addons are so successful - it's not just a question of not paying, it's often a question of availability, especially outside the USA, as it has been for years prior with music, DVDs, and other content),

I understand that Kodi have been in official discussions with content providers for years, however it's not so simple. Even look at the hoops Apple went through to get content, and Im sure this Google TV was years in negotiation too.

Its all not as easy as you might think. But as many a Team Kodi member has mentioned in the past, submissions of code to GitHub, or coding your own addon is welcome... Wink
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2017-04-07, 21:18)jmh2002 Wrote: Do you really think that if it was that easy nobody would have done it yet, given the amazing talent both here and in the wider addon community too? Give the developers some credit please. I may need to suggest that you please do a little more reading here first.

I didn't say it would be easy. However, it is possible, at least to some degree. I've had a little experience automating/controlling browsers from other applications in the context of automated website quality assurance. I also happen to use and like the ChromeLauncher addin with Kodi.

And it seems the number of proprietary video delivery services is growing rapidly with web browsers (specifically Chrome) being a common denominator.

So I think there's at least room for a constructive conversation about controlling Chrome from Kodi as a means to access some of this content.
hi, what's the current situation? Is someone on it? YouTubeTV addon for live streams?
I'm using HTPCs, throughout my home, connected via HDMI to TVs, running Windows / Kodi.  I recently cut the cord with U-Verse when YouTube TV became available in my area.  I  gave Sling a 7 day free trial... but cancelled it because the interface sucked, in both the Windows app & Chrome, because there was no good way to use the remote.  Sadly, I was very impressed with the value for the offerings / service / dvr capabilities, but found it unusable for my setup.

While YouTube TV has its own issues, thus far I've been impressed.  Unlimited DVR, on-demand access to previous episodes of shows, and, with the exception of a few oversights (CNN, Comedy Central & Cartoon Network), it has pretty much all the channels we need.  They also provide four additional accounts, with individual logins, with their own, unlimited, DVR... which is VERY nice.

The most idiotic decision though, which I CANNOT understand, was the decision to not use the 10 foot "lean back" interface that they already had in place, which works well with a remote.    See http://youtube.com/tv if you don't know what I'm talking about.   If you're offering a replacement for cable, then offer it in an interface that works on the big screen.

As it is, I've got it working fairly well in Chrome, running in Kiosk mode, and, other than having to use the mouse function of the remote to get around more than I like, it's been workable, and even my wife and daughters have managed to figure it out.

However, as is always the case, I want better... and, in this case, that would be a Kodi integrated solution.

If any of the cord-cutting options, YouTube TV, Sling, DirectTV Now, etc. had a supported Kodi add-on, that would be perfect.  For example, the USTV Now Plus add-on / guide works GREAT, and, if the service itself offered a better selection of channels (pulling from the networks rather than random local affiliates) and on-demand access to shows, then they could be a contender.  However, at $39 a month for the current offering, even with the Kodi interface, it's just not there.

With all that said, I do have a proposition. If there are any developers willing to tackle creating / supporting a YouTube TV add-on, then I'll supply one of my accounts for them to work with. 

I think the aforementioned USTV Now Plus / Guide add-on would be a good model to emulate.  The difference, however, may be that USTV Now provides m3u data, and I don't know if YouTube TV does.

Thoughts?
Any update on this?  I would love to see Youtube TV addon for Kodi.
(2018-01-23, 19:50)cdkao Wrote: Any update on this?  I would love to see Youtube TV addon for Kodi.
 No, sadly, nobody took me up on my offer.  Maybe if YouTube TV's subscription base continues to grow, someone will take an interest.  Fingers crossed.

As it is, it's working pretty well for me in Chrome, in kiosk mode.  I've been thinking of implementing some AutoHotKey routines to smooth out some of the annoyances, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
(2018-01-24, 06:37)RobbieWilkes Wrote:
(2018-01-23, 19:50)cdkao Wrote: Any update on this?  I would love to see Youtube TV addon for Kodi.
 No, sadly, nobody took me up on my offer.  Maybe if YouTube TV's subscription base continues to grow, someone will take an interest.  Fingers crossed.

As it is, it's working pretty well for me in Chrome, in kiosk mode.  I've been thinking of implementing some AutoHotKey routines to smooth out some of the annoyances, but haven't gotten around to it yet. 
 It's a shame. IPTV has made its way into our livingrooms and is cheaper than cable, but, we can't use it because the interfaces we use now (that were mostly started as a frontend for LiveTV and recorded TV) don't support what we've been waiting for all these years. Frustrating.
(2018-02-05, 21:31)debennett2 Wrote:
(2018-01-24, 06:37)RobbieWilkes Wrote:

It's a shame. IPTV has made its way into our livingrooms and is cheaper than cable, but, we can't use it because the interfaces we use now (that were mostly started as a frontend for LiveTV and recorded TV) don't support what we've been waiting for all these years. Frustrating. 
 Well, the good news, at least for YouTube TV users, is that they have now added support for Roku and Apple TV, as of Friday.  My hope is that, with some movement being made, that they'll provide a Windows 10 app soon, with a 10 foot interface in mind.  At least then, I can launch it in a manner similar to the way I'm using the Netflix app, with the NetflixRemoteController utility.

As it is, I started working on the AutoHokey stuff for YouTube TV in Chrome Kiosk, and was excited about using the left / right / up / down buttons on my remote, until I realized that the video playback screen doesn't use a different URL, so I can't distinguish between it and the selection screen... and the right / left buttons are used for jump forward / back function during playback. ARGH!

I'm hoping there's a different detect method I can use to determine how the keys should be used.  While I've worked with AHK in the past, I'm certainly no expert, so it's always a learning experience when dealing with these. things.
(2017-10-23, 19:08)RobbieWilkes Wrote: ...I think the aforementioned USTV Now Plus / Guide add-on would be a good model to emulate.  The difference, however, may be that USTV Now provides m3u data, and I don't know if YouTube TV does.

Thoughts?

Not to get off track, I just like to clarify...

1. USTVnow plus is a banned plug-in. However USTVnow from Kodi's repository is a official plug-in and welcome here.

2.The guide that comes with plus is nothing more then a clone of twinthers TVguide. There are far too many if you ask me and only a sign of how fractured the Kodi community has become at the hands of pirates.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
What does this piracy have anything to do with youtube tv that requires a subscription and activation?  No one is pirating anything here dawg!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
YouTube TV2