• 4(current)
Intel Gemini Lake
If the pump add a pipe for great performance, this does not mean that the performance will increase. It all depends on the pump. There are also HDMI 2.0a means that there is stock, but does not mean that SoC should give all that designed HDMI 2.0a. HDMI 2.0a is just the physical interface that is displayed on the external device. In the case of Gemini Lake it is only for UltraHD@60Hz
Asrock 4105-ITX arrived today. 

libreElec9 nightly needed for gpu support

doing some tests the next few days
Very interesting to see playing with HDR and 3D MVC
First impression of Asrock 4105-ITX:

Pros:
-LibreElec Nightly works fine
-playback of h264/h265 with hardware acceleration works fine
-VAAPI deinterlacing seems to work
-HD-audio passthrough working

Cons:
-HDMI handshake issues again...  I've had this issue in the past with my haswell NUC. Sometimes when Kodi changes the refreshrate, it ends up in a black screen. I've changed my AVR and TV since then, so i don't believe the reason for this issue is my other hardware. It was fine on Apollo Lake Asrock board (maybe due to the LSPCon Converter Chip??)!
Quote:-HDMI handshake issues again...  I've had this issue in the past with my haswell NUC. Sometimes when Kodi changes the refreshrate, it ends up in a black screen. 

Oh is that the reason, I'm still running a haswell nuc and just gave up and live with it. For me there are far worse things it could do Smile

Any chance you can test HDR? Does that currently require windows? :/
I wait for test results of UltraHD HDR and 3D MVC too. The request to check for OpenELEC and whenever possible for Windows 10
Quote:Any chance you can test HDR? Does that currently require windows? :/
Quote:I wait for test results of UltraHD HDR and 3D MVC too.

I have no experience with HDR and 3DMVC. My TV does not support 3D either, so i wont test this.
I will install Windows today to test HDR Playback. But... how can i determine whether the picture i will get is actually HDR??
for you who has it, does CEC work out of the box?
(2018-02-11, 11:40)Nafi Wrote:
Quote:Any chance you can test HDR? Does that currently require windows? :/
Quote:I wait for test results of UltraHD HDR and 3D MVC too.

I have no experience with HDR and 3DMVC. My TV does not support 3D either, so i wont test this.
I will install Windows today to test HDR Playback. But... how can i determine whether the picture i will get is actually HDR??  
 First - make sure your TV displays an HDR logo somewhere in its on-screen display.  (On my Sony I have to go to 'Picture' to see a little HDR logo)  That will confirm that the HDMI signal is being flagged as HDR.  I guess some TVs may not do this - but I expect most will indicate that they have switched into HDR mode when receiving an HDR source.

Then watching HDR10 content will usually tell you quite a lot about what is happening. Others can advise the best route to HDR replay in Windows (I use a mix of S905X, Apple TV 4K and nVidia Shield TV for HDR in my set-up)

If it looks 'right' and you don't have banding, odd saturation and strange blacks and highlights, you're probably there.  

However you can download a number of HDR test sequences that let you properly see what is going on - with 10-bit greyscale ramps, white and coloured patches at fixed nit levels etc.  (And if you have a friend with an HD Fury Vertex, they can confirm exactly what is going on with colour space, HDR metadata, bit depth etc.)
ok.

I downloaded some 4k HDR Videos. First played them directly from USB drive on my Sony TV. HDR Icon is showing up. Now i know how the video is supposed to look.

installed Windows 10 with fall 2017 updates, let it update to latest version with windows update. After installing Intel Graphics Driver 15.60.2.4901 i can say:

HDR not working. HDR Icon in SonyTV not showing up, testvideo's colors look washed out and HDR switch in Windows Settings not is not available!
(2018-02-11, 15:50)Nafi Wrote: ok.

I downloaded some 4k HDR Videos. First played them directly from USB drive on my Sony TV. HDR Icon is showing up. Now i know how the video is supposed to look.

installed Windows 10 with fall 2017 updates, let it update to latest version with windows update. After installing Intel Graphics Driver 15.60.2.4901 i can say:

HDR not working. HDR Icon in SonyTV not showing up, testvideo's colors look washed out and HDR switch in Windows Settings not is not available!
With recent LibreELEC nightly (today) HDR support was implemented with "proper" tone mapping and correct color conversion by taking care of gamma and linear rgb inverse transfer functions. It's obviously clear that Linux still can only output what the drivers allow, but this has improved the output quality quite a lot.

So make sure to update in the next some days and compare what you get from LE nightly (v18 based) in comparison to what your TV does on its own.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-02-11, 20:51)fritsch Wrote: With recent LibreELEC nightly (today) HDR support was implemented with "proper" tone mapping and correct color conversion by taking care of gamma and linear rgb inverse transfer functions. It's obviously clear that Linux still can only output what the drivers allow, but this has improved the output quality quite a lot.

So make sure to update in the next some days and compare what you get from LE nightly (v18 based) in comparison to what your TV does on its own. 

What approach to tone mapping and ST.2084 to Rec.1886 EOTF conversion is being used? (Please push me to the right thread if this isn't it). I assume some manual tweaking is needed to cope with different HDR grading decisions ?
This is for the NUC7PJYH specific, but intel also claims: no HDR support

https://communities.intel.com/thread/122359

Was very looking forward for this machine. Still on a Celeron N3150 an need some upgrade for x265 10bit and my HDR capable TV.
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...7pjyh.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...7cjyh.html

https://ark.intel.com/products/126137/In...t-NUC7PJYH

https://ark.intel.com/products/126135/In...t-NUC7CJYH

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/...UNE-CANYON

Intel has put up the Gemini Lake NUC product pages and ARK pages.

Also for those that have Gemini Lake and running Windows 10, can you please run DXVA Checker, take a screenshot and save in PNG format and post it to Imgur and post the link here?

http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/en/DXVAChecker.html
So if Intel decide not to support HDR, is there any hope of getting HDR out of this thing? I was planning on upgrading from my Haswell but if theres no HDR support I might as well just wait...
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Gemini Lake1