• 163(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-01-29, 03:46)wrxtasy Wrote: Cheers.

That S912 would work I believe for LibreELEC.
However I have three concerns:

1) The S912's run the hottest of all AMLogic devices and without adequate heatsinks & thermal engineering you will very likely get performance throttled.
2) No IR for a remote control - you would have to use a Bluetooth remote - the $14 Xiaomi Mi Box after market one works nicely with LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

Freaktab have further H96 Pro details (click)

If it were me I would ask if anyone is using one successfully over in the LE AML S912 thread particularly for WiFi and definitely Bluetooth support.

Personally I use LE Kodi Krypton, running on an ODROID C2 that is the size of two decks of playing cards - powered it via the TV and a HardKernel USB > barrel type power cord.
Then I use a cheap CSR v4.0 Bluetooth USB dongle and a aftermarket bluetooth $14 Xiaomi Mi Box remote, makes for one snappy setup.
This works nicely when travelling to read media content from USB sticks.

If you connect any sort of mechanical Hard Drive using that TV > USB > media player - power method the HDD will need it's own power supply to even work.
It may be possible to get a HDD / data power Y cable to power a 2.5" HDD from another USB TV port.

WiFi on the C2 very likely needs mains power to the C2 for reliability as well.

Wireless remote's do not need line of sight either - very handy when mounting small media player boxes behind the TV with Zip ties ! Wink
 @wrxtasy
You can install Linux on amlogic boxes. if you install Kodi on say Ubuntu on an amlogic S 905 or 912 box, rather than using LibreElec, do you get an HDR compatible device?
S905 is not HDR capable at all.
LibreELEC on S905X / S912's are using a modified (Nougat based) AMLogic Linux Kernel. You would have to use that for Ubuntu, and also specific Kodi Krypton patches to get HDR to work properly.

The 4K Vero 4K is running OSMC Kodi based on a full blown Linux Debian distribution and that (modified Nougat) AMLogic Linux Kernel.
The Khadas Vim series of devices I believe may also have Ubuntu images available for them.

However HDR capable AMLogic S9xx devices are running a fairly old v3.14 Linux Kernel no matter what it is, you cannot Plug N Play all sorts of external peripherals and just expect them to work.

(2018-02-08, 02:03)wrxtasy Wrote: S905 is not HDR capable at all.
LibreELEC on S905X / S912's are using a modified (Nougat based) AMLogic Linux Kernel. You would have to use that for Ubuntu, and also specific Kodi Krypton patches to get HDR to work properly.

The 4K Vero 4K is running OSMC Kodi based on a full blown Linux Debian distribution and that (modified Nougat) AMLogic Linux Kernel.
The Khadas Vim series of devices I believe may also have Ubuntu images available for them.

However HDR capable AMLogic S9xx devices are running a fairly old v3.14 Linux Kernel no matter what it is, you cannot Plug N Play all sorts of external peripherals and just expect them to work.
i am just trying to figure out how to get either moonlight or steam in home streaming working on libreelec and do far nobody has been able to give me a direct answer. thats why i asked.
Just got my OROID C2 in and am looking to replace an old XIOS XS now.  I want to boot directly into KODI, so I believe that leaves me with LibreELEC.  The only challenge I'm facing right now, is finding out exactly what image to work with here.

It looks like there might be 2 guys (wrxtasy being one of them) that are maintaining builds right now...but I could be wrong.  Anyone know what would be best to go with?  I'm connecting to an AVR, working with 1080p (has 3D capability, but honestly - haven't used it but the day I bought the projector), I use NFS for my sources, wired network, harmony ultimate via IR.  If I left anything out that would help point me to the right image, just let me know and I'll answer right away!

Thanks so much all!
Follow Step © from HERE

Then to learn to LE .tar update read this:
https://wiki.libreelec.tv/how_to/update_libreelec

And then if you want to experiment with the C2 you can start directly .tar updating with source files from HERE onwards.

Hi. Is there now on market any Kodi/LibreELEC box with coaxial output?
Coaxial what? SPDIF audio? Composite video?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You can put all sorts of audio hats on a raspberry pi 3.   As long as you only need 1080p (rather than 4k) and H264 (it wont decode H265).
Hi.
I am thinking to replace my current Minix X8H-plus.
I need to have smooth 4k UHD playing capability, 10bit HVEC, HDR, and a Kodi system.

I have looked at these 3 boxes,
- Himedia Q5/Q10 pro
- Zidoo X9S
- Beelink GT1 ultimate/GS1

Which, do you guys think would give me the best picture quality of them all ?
(2018-02-09, 10:07)nickr Wrote: Coaxial what? SPDIF audio? Composite video?
 I mean SPDiF electric audio output.
(2018-02-12, 04:57)sultanbrunei Wrote: Hi.
I am thinking to replace my current Minix X8H-plus.
I need to have smooth 4k UHD playing capability, 10bit HVEC, HDR, and a Kodi system.

I have looked at these 3 boxes,
- Himedia Q5/Q10 pro
- Zidoo X9S
- Beelink GT1 ultimate/GS1

Which, do you guys think would give me the best picture quality of them all ?
Personally I follow the motto of "Keep it simple !".

Both the Q5/Q10 Pro and Zidoo X9S do not even run Kodi Krypton with all the bells and whistles like HD audio passthrough and HDR support.
They use Kodi only as a front end user interface for external media player software that provides such support.
There have been know problems with this setup, such as subtitles problems, resume issues and if you read the Zidoo X9S thread - 4K UHD still looks like it is not fully sorted out.

We have not even started yet on the added complications the Android OS itself brings (and it's updates) when all you want is a no nonsense Kodi media player. If you do not need Android, ditch it.

I would simply get a AMLogic S905X or S912 box and run LibreELEC or OSMC Kodi Krypton on it like a whole bunch of people are now doing for 4K HDR Kodi.

OSMC Kodi = using the Plug N Play - Vero 4K

S912 LibreELEC Kodi Krypton = the best is the MINIX U9, simply due to superior hardware used. You can also dual boot to internal Android with the AMLogic S912 boxes. If you already have a MINIX A2 lite remote, that works well with the U9.
There are cheaper S912 options available as well, but you have to do your homework regarding 100M or Gigabit Ethernet, AC WiFi & chipset heat management. The U9 here again has the best chipset cooling of all the 4K HDR AMLogic boxes.

Such info is found in this thread:

Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide (click)

I've not seen anyone complaining about S905X or S912 LibreELEC picture quality. Any post processing picture "enhancements" should really be done by a users 4K displays IMHO.
Also be aware the AML S9xx LE boxes also do auto 1080p<<--->>4K Resolution switching. This allows your 4K display to upscale 1080p content, 4K will be output at a 4K resolution when needed.

At first thank you for the informative thread. At the moment I own a Raspberry Pi 3 model B with Libreelec installed. I bought the VC-1 license, too. However, I have problems with the playback of full hd movies with 5.1 sound. I would like to be able to play all full hd mkv files in 5.1 that I want (for example mp4, mp2, vc-1 and dts audio or whatever could be possible). Also having a remote with a key that changes the audio would be nice (like it is also possible with the Raspberry Pi). Which device should I get? I don't want to buy the most expensive just to be sure.
(DTS-HD MA Surround is not necessary I think.)
(2018-02-15, 16:53)KODluser Wrote: At first thank you for the informative thread. At the moment I own a Raspberry Pi 3 model B with Libreelec installed. I bought the VC-1 license, too. However, I have problems with the playback of full hd movies with 5.1 sound. I would like to be able to play all full hd mkv files in 5.1 that I want (for example mp4, mp2, vc-1 and dts audio or whatever could be possible).
There have been a lot of LibreELEC RPi owners that upgrade to AMLogic S9xx LE Boxes simply because they want Hardware decoding of virtually everything including 8/10bit HEVC and some 4K (HDR) support. You also HD audio passthrough inc. Atmos and DTS:X passthrough audio as well.
Plus AML S9xx devices are faster than RPi's - especially if they are running LE from fast eMMC flash storage.

Quote:Also having a remote with a key that changes the audio would be nice (like it is also possible with the Raspberry Pi). Which device should I get? I don't want to buy the most expensive just to be sure.
A Wireless remote with a Mini Keyboard like a MINIX A2 lite would very likely fix that. You could probably use Kodi's Keymap Editor Addon to reprogram a spare button on the remote to do what you want.

Some vital ingredients to a fast responsive Kodi box is:

a) A reliable, responsive wireless remote - the Xiaomi Mi Box remote is the best I've seen for this. It's button repeat response is spot on when used with LibreELEC.
b) Fast eMMC storage, fast RAM, all combined with a nippy modern Chipset.
c) Using Ethernet LAN only. NFS is better than SMB.
d) An optimised Operating System that is Linux based. OSMC and LibreELEC are prime examples of this.

If on a tight budget, and having said all that you know which thread I am going to direct you to, it's this LibreELEC one:

Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide (click)

Looking for help:
Currently have Raspberry pi 3 running libreelec krypton on wifi. ISP delivers 100mbps. Am getting Google Wifi points to ethernet raspberry pi.
Looking at (to upgrade):
Rock 64 / Libre board / [or other recommendations].
Which one will run Kodi best on SD card, and.....have Playstation Vue which I have to cast, but thinking if I get a SBC with Android capabilities, can I install Android, (possibly keep Libreelec [2 OS] get playstore, and download the Playstation Vue App
so I don't have to cast anymore?
  • 163(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28