• 314(current)
v18 LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 18.0)
(2018-03-09, 16:43)J_E_F_F Wrote: no, even with overclock disabled, with debug enabled, the on screen CPU-Kodi percentage is much less with the #0305 firmware
Can you say roughly what the percentages you are seeing in each case?
Is this in GUI or playing a video?
What format is the video (e.g. hardware decode of H.264 with mmal, or software decode of HEVC)

Might be interesting to look at the output of bcmstat to see the clocks in both cases.
I'm suspecting you may be being throttled but I'm not sure why this is affecting you and not others. bcmstat will report this.
Using a logitech elite remote, the long press on the enter key used to bring up the context menu, but at some point past,

LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-9.0-Milhouse-20180218010737-#0217-gc2fd843

till the lastest release i just tried, it no longer working, but insteads just fires enter cmd untill button released.

how can i change this back?

thanks
(2018-03-09, 17:00)popcornmix Wrote:
(2018-03-09, 16:43)J_E_F_F Wrote: no, even with overclock disabled, with debug enabled, the on screen CPU-Kodi percentage is much less with the #0305 firmware
Can you say roughly what the percentages you are seeing in each case?
Is this in GUI or playing a video?
What format is the video (e.g. hardware decode of H.264 with mmal, or software decode of HEVC)

Might be interesting to look at the output of bcmstat to see the clocks in both cases.
I'm suspecting you may be being throttled but I'm not sure why this is affecting you and not others. bcmstat will report this. 
I'd say roughly upper 40% with 0305 firmware and upper 80-90% with 0307 firmware. I have been playing HEVC content so software decode
(2018-03-09, 17:04)J_E_F_F Wrote: I'd say roughly upper 40% with 0305 firmware and upper 80-90% with 0307 firmware. I have been playing HEVC content so software decode 

And no temperature warning symbols on screen?

With newer firmware can you play a HEVC file and report output of:
Code:
vcgencmd get_throttled
vcgencmd measure_clock arm
vcgencmd measure_clock core
vcgencmd measure_clock v3d
vcgencmd measure_volts core
vcgencmd measure_volts sdram_p
vcgencmd measure_volts sdram_i
vcgencmd measure_volts sdram_c
Also can you add "force_turbo=1" temporarily to config.txt with new firmware. Any better?
(after capturing the other information from previous post)
for the initial test, with or without overclocking?
(2018-03-09, 17:40)J_E_F_F Wrote: for the initial test, with or without overclocking?
Start with overclocking.
figured I'd start where it wouldn't lock up.
no over clocking

Code:
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd get_throttled
throttled=0x0
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_clock arm
frequency(45)=600064000
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_clock core
frequency(1)=400000000
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_clock v3d
frequency(43)=300000000
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_volts core
volt=1.2875V
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_volts sdram_p
volt=1.2250V
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_volts sdram_i
volt=1.2000V
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_volts sdram_c
volt=1.2000V
and here with #0308 overclocked with a crash

Code:
[pi3]
# arm_freq=1300
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=500
over_voltage=2
dtparam=sd_overclock=83
sdram_freq=580
over_voltage_sdram=5
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020

Code:
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd get_throttled
throttled=0x0
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_clock arm
frequency(45)=600062000
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_clock core
frequency(1)=400000000
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_clock v3d
frequency(43)=300000000
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_volts core
volt=1.3375V
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_volts sdram_p
volt=1.2250V
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_volts sdram_i
volt=1.2000V
LivingRoom:~ # vcgencmd measure_volts sdram_c
volt=1.3250V
Latest build 0308 again works for me.
@J_E_F_F and this is which playing hevc? Is it keeping up okay?

There is a change in behaviour over previous firmware.
Previously we just had the concept of "turbo mode" or "idle mode".
When the arm was busy (one core > 50% busy) we would enter turbo mode.
When the gpu was busy (e.g. with HEVC acceleration) we would enter turbo mode.

Turbo mode would boost the arm and gpu clocks to maximum (subject to temperature throttling).

Since the rewrite things are more fine grained. We can have just the gpu boosted if that is all that is required.
So, my guess is the HEVC file isn't loading the arm heavily, but is using the GPU.

So we boost the GPU clocks but leave the arm at the lower frequency (as it doesn't need the higher one).
The side effect is the reporting of the arm cpu percentage is relative to the arm clock rate.

Previously you were seeing ~40% CPU from a 1200MHz arm clock.
Now you are seeing ~80% CPU from a 600MHz arm clock.

The new behaviour is actually better from a power/temperature point of view, so if we are keeping up fine then there isn't a problem.
If we are dropping frames, then we could make the HEVC decode also boost the arm frequency.

Playing a harder file may trigger the arm to run at 1200MHz which will show a lower cpu percentage.
Also running with force_turbo=1 will show a lower cpu percentage (as you'll be fixed at 1200MHz).
firmware 0305 seemed to play fine overclocked or not, and showed seemingly reduced CPU usage over 0307/0308, not sure if the data above is taken at a split second or averaged, probably split second.
Here you can see non-overclocked 0308 bouncing between freqs, and all builds have done similarly at similar intervals. 

(2018-03-09, 18:17)J_E_F_F Wrote: firmware 0305 seemed to play fine overclocked or not, and showed seemingly reduced CPU usage over 0307/0308, not sure if the data above is taken at a split second or averaged, probably split second.
Here you can see non-overclocked 0308 bouncing between freqs, and all builds have done similarly at similar intervals. 

The bcmstat data is showing instantaneous clock speeds (but they are captured sequentially so you may get a mixture of turbo and non-turbo).
Ignoring the crashing issue for now, we just want to know if the new firmware is playing the hevc files well
(and yes, it will show double the cpu percentage when the arm is relatively idle as it is running at half the clock frequency - but that is not a bad thing).
that being the case, seemingly it would point to previous firmwares performing better with a lower load reported at related clock speeds.
(2018-03-09, 18:35)J_E_F_F Wrote: that being the case, seemingly it would point to previous firmwares performing better with a lower load reported at related clock speeds.
No I don't believe so. Add force_turbo=1 and run with latest firmware. I think you'll see the low cpu again.
  • 314(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 18.0)24