• 374(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2018-03-10, 22:37)arabesc Wrote:
(2018-03-10, 17:14)mclingo Wrote:
(2018-03-10, 01:15)arabesc Wrote: I have an issue. I'm using madVR to play 4K HDR on a FullHD SDR screen. It works perfectly until subtitles appear on the screen. After that playback becomes somewhat jerky, it seems there are lots of dropped frames even without subtitles on the screen.
Is it the known issue? Does it have a solution?
 Hi, log this on the MADVR forum, there are a few issues that could cause this, people will want to know what CPU/GPU and windows versions etc you are using and you settings.  
I've just registered there and have to wait 5 days before I will be allowed to leave a comment :\
I've investigated the issue further, checked the frame stats with and without subtitles - I see no difference in numbers at all, but there's huge difference in playback smoothness. And there are actually no dropped frames, the playback just looks as if there are lots of them.  
first thing to do is rule some stuff out, do you have the same issues when playing the movies in MPC-HC or MPC-BE, if so it might be LAV filter issue, hard so say but this has been disccused quite a bit on the fourms but sorry, I cant remember if it was MADVR, LAV or DS forum. Do some searching.
(2018-03-10, 20:24)mkohman Wrote: Hi Guys,

I have always owned AMD cards.. I am about to upgrade my projector to a JVC x5900 to get 4K HDR 10 and 12bit ...

What I wanted to know is which card would be best for my HTPC with DSPlayer and Madvr?  I have been told Nvidia is the way to go and have been suggested these two cards:

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M6ZANMP/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_gZbPAb0F772B9

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050Ti WF2 OC 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MG15JZS/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_x1bPAbCWHZDQ6

This also looks like a nice AMD card:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte...s-card?v=c

I currently have a small HTPC case with a Zotac H55-ITX motherboard and a 300w power suppley currently with a Sapphire 6450 card which has been brilliant with 1080p content.

Can anyone who knows more about these things please advise me which is the best card to get within that price range.. AMD or NVIDIA? 10 and 12bit 4K is very important and maybe some 3D too but I want a smooth playback with no issues and good settings on MadVR... All my content will be 1080p Bluray Remux or 2160p 4K HEVC movies so no 720p or DVD only high quality stuff.

Would really appreciate yor help.. Prefereble a card that doesn't need power from the power supply but if it meant that it will criple the performance then I can get a new power supply no problem..

Many thanks
you are about to walk into a minefield prepare yourself.

Ho much 3D do you watch, how important is it to you?, its very important to me. 3D on NVIDIA cards is a mess and its not just my opinion, i know plenty of people who say the same. I have a GTX 1050 and an RX550, the 1050 is much faster but guess which one i'm using in my HTPC?. Someone will no doubt regale you of tales of how theirs has no problems, then you'll get it home, realise what a faff it is to get yo work and you'll want smash it into little bits, AMD cards with 3D works, 100% of the time, no fuss, no messing, if you are 3D fan and you dont do gaming this is your card, hand down.

If you are a gamer or some of your movie collection is 720p or lower then you'll need a beefy card to upscale to 4k using MADVR, if this is you then get the NVIDIA but when you cant get 3D working reliably make sure you've not got any hammers within arms length.

The only reason i'd recommend an NVIDIA card, it has loads more processing headroom in MADVR.

One other thing you may not be aware of if you've always used AMD card like I had before I bought the 1050, it cant do 23.976 natively, you have to setup custom resolutions but its simple enough and 2D playback is smooth and faultless when set right, however there is a bug with 3D playback with NVIDIA cards where you'll get a frame skip every 4-8 minutes, this is unacceptable to me but some people just live with it or claim it doesnt happen, it does.

So to recap:

Major 3d fan  - get the AMD RX 560
3D fan and gamer, get an AMD 570 or above
3D fan, gamer and sub 720 movie collection - get an NVIDIA 1050ti or 1060
Can live without 3D - get an NVIDIA
mkohman ..

your limited by the physical size of card you can use with that Zotac H55-ITX motherboard and i would guess by the size of case you have as well.

the card you use at the moment is a 'single slot' and i'm guessing you use a smaller height bracket as well.
any of the cards you are looking at are all double the physical size of your Sapphire 6450 meaning they take up two slots and you cant use a smaller height bracket.

sound advice from mclingo.
but check that you can physically get any of the cards in your case. e.g. if you have two backplate openings on your case for graphics cards and they are standard height.
Thank you for that.. I believe I am able to cater for 2 slots that shouldn't be a problem.. In any case if I need to change the case I don't mind I just want the best card for the performance/money.. Will it be ok with the motherboard though?
@mclingo Absolutely Brilliant info and much appreciated.. I am truly not bother which brand I get.. All I want is

1 - Seemless Bluray and 4K HDR video Playback

2 - The best card that can upscale my 1080p remux to 4K for my 4K projector

3 - Some 3D but I am not a huge fan

4 - Not a gamer dont care... 720p don't care

Which one of the cards you mentioned would you suggest now? Thanks buddy Smile
(2018-03-10, 23:55)mkohman Wrote: @mclingo Absolutely Brilliant info and much appreciated.. I am truly not bother which brand I get.. All I want is

i'm struggling to see a use for an NVIDIA card there IMHO, their advantages are with their processing power but you wont need much to upscale 1080p, my lowly RX550 does it very well, I have almost seamless playback on mine. I do have a small issue on mine I havent got to the bottom of. When playing 10 bit video its ouputting incorrect colours, its very red, to resolve this I have to set DCI-P3 calibration settings in MADVR but that corrects it. Nobody else on the MADVR forum has this issue so it must be a problem with my setup and not the card itself. Otherwise it prefect, no dropped frames, skips, just smooth playback on KODI DS and MPC.

I honestly think you'd do well with an RX560 but we should maybe wait for @brazen1 to chime in here to see what he feels, we argue a lot about NVIDIA vs AMD but I do generally respect his views and they seem to come from a good place, he wouldnt be here helping people otherwise.

@BRAZEN1  - what do you think?
(2018-03-11, 00:48)mclingo Wrote:
(2018-03-10, 23:55)mkohman Wrote: @mclingo Absolutely Brilliant info and much appreciated.. I am truly not bother which brand I get.. All I want is

i'm struggling to see a use for an NVIDIA card there IMHO, their advantages are with their processing power but you wont need much to upscale 1080p, my lowly RX550 does it very well, I have almost seamless playback on mine. I do have a small issue on mine I havent got to the bottom of. When playing 10 bit video its ouputting incorrect colours, its very red, to resolve this I have to set DCI-P3 calibration settings in MADVR but that corrects it. Nobody else on the MADVR forum has this issue so it must be a problem with my setup and not the card itself. Otherwise it prefect, no dropped frames, skips, just smooth playback on KODI DS and MPC.

I honestly think you'd do well with an RX560 but we should maybe wait for @brazen1 to chime in here to see what he feels, we argue a lot about NVIDIA vs AMD but I do generally respect his views and they seem to come from a good place, he wouldnt be here helping people otherwise.

Thank you so much @mclingo I am leaning more towards the AMD now.. Smile I have never had issues with AMD but I always hear about the hype of the NVIDIA cards.. I just want the 
best possible image from the GPU .. I mean does a same power AMD and NVIDIA looked same in terms of shading image etc with 4K video or is one card superior than the other.

It would be nice to have 3D working with no issues.. I use DSPLAYER with its own video player not an external player like MPC-HC or the MPC-BE.. Can you tell me what benefit it has to use an external player in DSPlayer please or if there is one.. ? Also I have windows 64bit.. Shall I use the x86 or x64bit of DS player? Thank you so much and sorry for so many questions .. Thanks Smile
(2018-03-11, 01:30)mkohman Wrote:
(2018-03-11, 00:48)mclingo Wrote:

Thank you so much @mclingo I am leaning more towards the AMD now.. Smile I have never had issues with AMD but I always hear about the hype of the NVIDIA cards.. I just want the 
best possible image from the GPU .. I mean does a same power AMD and NVIDIA looked same in terms of shading image etc with 4K video or is one card superior than the other.

It would be nice to have 3D working with no issues.. I use DSPLAYER with its own video player not an external player like MPC-HC or the MPC-BE.. Can you tell me what benefit it has to use an external player in DSPlayer please or if there is one.. ? Also I have windows 64bit.. Shall I use the x86 or x64bit of DS player? Thank you so much and sorry for so many questions .. Thanks Smile 
 Hi, there is no difference in image quality on the cards, its all about power, the more power a card has the more tricks you can load from MADVR's rendering tool box, its as simple as that. However there are diminishing returns the higher quality the image you have to start off with, a 4k image is already very good as is a 1080p image so it could be argued that unless have images to improve you dont need the extra power from a more expensive card.

You dont need an external player with DS, the whole point of DS is that its built in, MADVR has been built into DS so you dont have to use an external player like MPC-HC with madvr bolted on. My DS plays everything perfectly (3D/HDR/4k/4k HDR) on my RX 550 it really does, i'd like a bit more power to mabe sharpen up my 1080p movies a little and to deal with the small amount of 720p stuff I have, I intend to buy a 570 when prices drop.

I'd still wait to hear form an NVIDIA user though, best to get both sides of the coin even if it does seems stacked in AMD's favour right now.
(2018-03-11, 03:34)mclingo Wrote:
(2018-03-11, 01:30)mkohman Wrote:
(2018-03-11, 00:48)mclingo Wrote: i'm struggling to see a use for an NVIDIA card there IMHO, their advantages are with their processing power but you wont need much to upscale 1080p, my lowly RX550 does it very well, I have almost seamless playback on mine. I do have a small issue on mine I havent got to the bottom of. When playing 10 bit video its ouputting incorrect colours, its very red, to resolve this I have to set DCI-P3 calibration settings in MADVR but that corrects it. Nobody else on the MADVR forum has this issue so it must be a problem with my setup and not the card itself. Otherwise it prefect, no dropped frames, skips, just smooth playback on KODI DS and MPC.

Hi, there is no difference in image quality on the cards, its all about power, the more power a card has the more tricks you can load from MADVR's rendering tool box, its as simple as that. However there are diminishing returns the higher quality the image you have to start off with, a 4k image is already very good as is a 1080p image so it could be argued that unless have images to improve you dont need the extra power from a more expensive card.

You dont need an external player with DS, the whole point of DS is that its built in, MADVR has been built into DS so you dont have to use an external player like MPC-HC with madvr bolted on. My DS plays everything perfectly (3D/HDR/4k/4k HDR) on my RX 550 it really does, i'd like a bit more power to mabe sharpen up my 1080p movies a little and to deal with the small amount of 720p stuff I have, I intend to buy a 570 when prices drop.

I'd still wait to hear form an NVIDIA user though, best to get both sides of the coin even if it does seems stacked in AMD's favour right now.   
Thank you.. I also use DSPlayer but couldn't understand why some use external players thats why I was asking.. I also have no issues with any format but I haven't delved into 4K yet.. Awaiting my projector first. I think I will need a new PSU and a new HTPC case in order to fit the new card.. Do I need to have more than 4GB ram in my PC or is that sufficient ?  Also I only have an intel i3... 

I have just purchased a RX580 4GB Nitro for £98.. from eBay .. These cards are usually £380.. Huh?? Either I got super lucky or scammed lol Smile However I have Paypal so they will refund no doubt but the seller has 100% feedback so maybe they weren't aware of current prices.. In any case this is what I bought.. any good?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-sapp...2xhdmi?v=c

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17G9LSJ...kjKeru5-jI
Well well well.... That didn't last long lol.. I just got an email from eBay stating that the item has been removed .. Apparently someone has hacked into the sellers accountHuh? This is the first time ever anything like this has happened to me on eBay.. very strange.. Either the seller realised he or she incorrectly priced the items or it was a true scam .. In any case I will get my money back from PayPal so no worries.. Just a shame as it was an amazing deal.. I guess the saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is" is absolutely correct and I should have known better .. Oh well Image I guess it will be a 560 or 570 .. Smile
There has been way too much heated debate about video card choices.  Some posters will comment their experiences were terrible while others are 100% satisfied.  Each uses something different and each is passionate for their choice.  It really boils down to what each unique user demands or doesn't demand.  Personally, I demand that I can play every single audio and video there is at the highest quality launched from the official builds of KODI and I do mean everything audio and video I've ever encountered.  I will not settle for less and I will not deviate by making any adjustments to original 1:1 quality exact disc backups although I have lots of crap too and I want that perfected as well.  I also refuse to use any offshoot builds of KODI, only the official versions.  Nothing against DSPlayer here and I understand I'm just a guest.  It's just not for me but obviously is for many.  I demand every audio and video you and I encounter is also playable to their fullest extent with no excuses.  I will not tolerate any errors of any kind although the one and only I live with has been pointed out numerous times - a single dropped frame every 5 minutes that I never notice.  I demand everything work perfectly behind the scenes and be completely automated so all I have to do is push play on a title in KODI.  Period.  When finished, I demand KODI be in focus ready for the next title press of play.  I demand my one and only remote handle everything from turning on my HTPC from a cold start and shutting it completely off to navigating all players for every function like subtitles choices and everything else.  And I demand I never leave my seat.  No single player fills these demands.  Not one.  So, at this time, 4 are required.  The KODI videoplayer, MPC with components, and PowerDVD and DVDFab which cost money.  I found them on Ebay currently .99 cents and 10.95 for the versions I use.  The 10.95 was 2.99 last week.  YMMV.

I myself have to filter through video cards to find 'the one' that meets all my demands as new formats get introduced through the years.  Many times after experimenting for hours/days, I'm forced to make returns learning subtle nuances I won't accept.  I don't think anyone in the A/V world has higher demands for what we discuss here.  I consider it 'the holy grail' for what I do and what I use.  After extensive testing and acceptance, I pass on my findings.  Sometimes others are quick to interrupt and interject false claims based on their experiences because they feel their passion has been slighted or maybe they did have genuine problems.  I run into problems too but in the end I figure out why and just don't give up and say the thing doesn't work.  99% of the time, whatever that thing is works fine and something upstream unrelated is usually the culprit.  It's like racing engines were for me.  You can buy plenty of fast parts but until you find a winning combination of them, you're just spinning your wheels.  This is where hardware versions plus software versions and their drivers count, and I do mean count.  Not to mention precise settings.  Imo, without providing EVERY last stinking detail for others to mimic, simply saying a few words about your perfect setup, like which video card you use, means zip.

That said, very few are going to have identical everything but many, while not exact, are in the ballpark.  So, many times some of us will try to lend a hand and try to adapt to another persons environment offering advice when we are perhaps somewhat familiar with specific scenarios.  Sadly, this often erupts into a knowledge war and most often never finds common ground.  To make matters worse, these advices are based on internet distances and not hands on which becomes a guessing game at times.  Sometimes I remote in to strangers rigs and straighten them out discovering mountains of basic errors before ever tackling the detailed little thing I was anticipating.  The last time took 4 hours and it's a thankless unrewarded extension of kindness.  Not even a rep point.  LoL.  I can only imagine how talented developers of KODI, madVR, LAV Filters, MPC flavors, etc. feel.   

So I have no comments at this time which video card or anything else is the wisest choice.  You may not demand what I do and therefor your corridor of video cards might not be as narrow.  You already know my card preference.  I've already written why.  You might enquire what experts have to say elsewhere and not just here.  Since this is the DSPlayer forum and it incorporates madVR, LAV Filters, and MPC-HC, I would suggest doom9 where highly technical conversations are held on a fast moving threads covering all these software by very knowledgeable folks.  The official forums for those software are established there.  After a few pages of reading backwards, you should be able to get a feel for what most of these experts use including the developers of the software in the threads being discussed.  You might take a look at stock prices for the GPU companies and compare success.  Perhaps some of the official driver support forums.  ETC.  Lastly, I spent the day updating all the codes in my guide fwiw.  Don't forget to turn the clocks forward an hour.  Nighty night.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-03-11, 04:54)mkohman Wrote: Well well well.... That didn't last long lol.. I just got an email from eBay stating that the item has been removed .. Apparently someone has hacked into the sellers accountHuh? This is the first time ever anything like this has happened to me on eBay.. very strange.. Either the seller realised he or she incorrectly priced the items or it was a true scam .. In any case I will get my money back from PayPal so no worries.. Just a shame as it was an amazing deal.. I guess the saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is" is absolutely correct and I should have known better .. Oh well Image I guess it will be a 560 or 570 .. Smile
 yeah, there is a lot of this on ebay but you cant lose as you always get your money back, best not to risk it though as you are essentially also giving these people your contact details / address perhaps even phone number via paypal/ebay.

You just wont get a good deal on a card at the moment, might be worth just buying something cheap like mine for now and then upgrading to something meatier when prices come down again.. if they ever do Sad
Already got a refund thanks.. You think I should go for a rx550 then? Will that play everything? Thanks Smile
Like this??
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077...1OLE&psc=1
(2018-03-12, 03:23)mkohman Wrote: Already got a refund thanks.. You think I should go for a rx550 then? Will that play everything? Thanks Smile
Like this??
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077...1OLE&psc=1
 if you have funds to go up to that sort of money try find a used 4GB RX 560, this card is nearly twice as powerful as the RX550. I got the RX550 as I new it would play everything well but also be very lower power consumption, plus it only cost me 70 quid new at the time. I should have bought the 560.

if you get a 550, get it use dont pay any more than 120, then get a better card when prices come down or when you have more money.

tempted by this myself Smile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PowerColor-AM...SwPedaiwkT
(2018-03-07, 18:26)mclingo Wrote: I dont want to get into a flame war AMD vs NVIDIA though BRAZEN1 - AMD is just easier to setup and is more stable at the moment generally, that may change but NVIDIA has always had issues with 3D and has never had 23,976 native so its never been the best pure HTPC card for general HTPC users.
 It's been easier to setup for you. Nothing more. Also, as far as 23,976 "native" refresh is concerned, it makes no sense whatsoever. You not necessarily aim for 23,976 for smooth playback, as you need to take into consideration the audio clock.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
  • 374(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47