No SMB searching for Music Artwork in Kodi 17.6, but what about 18?
Recently, in prep for Kodi 18 Leia, I've been updating my Music library's Artwork. I'm using Nvidia Shield TV for testing, if that matters at all.

One thing I've noticed, when trying to change Music Artwork Manually (for example a Poster/Artist), there is an option to search over SMB (similar to the image on the Kodi wiki 2.2.1 - https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_artwork). However, for other pieces of Artwork (Logo, Clearart, etc), the SMB option doesn't show up at all (I see 2 options, both appear to be Android specific - one is the Android folder, the other says external, but points to more Android folders). I may be off on the actual names that are presented under Android (at work at the moment, so can't say exactly).

Is this something that will be fixed in Leia?
Here's a general thing with file browser:  I don't know how entries get added to the window, but I think it would be nice if always file manager source locations were offered as browser items.  That way user could create shortcuts via the file manager for use elsewhere.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Agree 100% scott967.

I was just bringing up that there is currently an issue in Kodi 17.6, and didn't know if it was being looked at in Kodi 18 (or if it was already fixed).

Last night I installed the Alpha, and was testing some things (Artwork Beef was one of them), so tonight I will see if the option is still missing to use SMB on other Music Artwork besides the Poster and Fanart.
Always offeirng file manager source locations as browser items - suggestion noted. Smile

I know there is discussion about SMB access generally, but it is something I don't use and so I'm afraid I have not been paying attention enough to even point at the issues and what is/will be possible on what platform. Use a google search maybe, since 3 chars is too small for forum search, and see what you can find. Just a heads up that SMB is talked about (but not that your particular issue has been raised in any way) .

The options of where you can browse for artwork are I guess under my control with the current work I am doing, but how I include SMB sources, if I can, or if I have done something that precludes them, I am not so clear.  Current alpha is missing the album/artist info dialog stuff, so you will not be seeing what I have done recently yet and there will be inconsitencies.

Screenshots of where you do see SMB and were you don't could help me grasp this more clearly, although I don't know how easy that is on a Shield.
IMHO the sources should be presented in a neutral way, regardless of network protocol. The protocol is the underlying layer and once you've made your choice, i.e SMB, nfs, Webdav, ftp, etc., browsing should be transparent. In artwork beef there already are a multitude of ways to access and organize artwork, i.e in song folder, extrafanart or centralized folder. Let me also point out the *item folder when browsing for fanart which always points to your album/song source.
To be clear, it's not just on my Shield TV (Android), but also on my Windows 10 systems. And after testing the latest Alpha 18, it is also presented there.

So the problem is, it doesn't show (or give the option) to choose any different location for where the Artwork can be located. In my case, all my media is on my NAS, which I have setup to use SMB. If I wish to change Artwork for my Movies or TV Shows, the options show that I can browse using SMB to my file share (and I do, and everything works as expected). In Music, I am only seeing (on the Shield TV), locations on my Android system (the local files, or the attached thumbdrive), but no Network drives (my NAS) nor are there options to just Browse (where I could possibly type in the network IP address). In Windows 10, I can see my C: and D: and can Browse (again no area to type in an IP address), but nothing brings up the SMB (network) shares.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't an SMB (or any other Network protocol) issue within Kodi, it is a lack of presentation of network resources within the Music section of Kodi. As again, it works correctly in the Movies and TV sections (in both Kodi 17.6 and the new 18 Alpha).
(2018-03-09, 16:55)HeresJohnny Wrote: "Let me also point out the *item folder when browsing for fanart which always points to your album/song source."
 Not seeing the *item folder under Android (neither Kodi 17.6 nor 18 alpha), but I do see that under Windows 10 (and Kodi 18 alpha).

The problem with *item folder, it doesn't allow you to choose a different folder for where you may have artwork. So if you store all your artwork in a single folder like some add-on's allow (not under the album/song source), this option would be useless.
(2018-03-09, 19:42)Powerhouse Wrote: Don't get me wrong, this isn't an SMB (or any other Network protocol) issue within Kodi, it is a lack of presentation of network resources within the Music section of Kodi. As again, it works correctly in the Movies and TV sections (in both Kodi 17.6 and the new 18 Alpha).
 Thanks for clarifying, I'll take a look with the current work I'm doing. If video does it then music can Smile
I figured this should be a "relatively" easy fix for you. 8)
(2018-03-09, 19:42)Powerhouse Wrote: Don't get me wrong, this isn't an SMB (or any other Network protocol) issue within Kodi, it is a lack of presentation of network resources within the Music section of Kodi. As again, it works correctly in the Movies and TV sections (in both Kodi 17.6 and the new 18 Alpha).
Quote:I figured this should be a "relatively" easy fix for you. 8)
It is if I have already done it for song art Smile
Yes I know, song is not the level you would normaly set art for but I started with the Song Info Dialog as it was simpler than the other info dialogs that I am currently working on (or trying to get back to).

Could you have a look at "Choose Art" from the Song Info Dialog on v18 alpha 1 please. Click "Choose Art" button, then on "Thumbnail" in the list (of one probably), and then the "Browse" entry. Does that list include the network sources you want?

I believe it will, but good to check otherwise I have misunderstood.
Will Test this out tonight and report back. Thanks DaveBlake.
Ok, the test..

A Flock of Seagulls, album "Wishing: The Very Best"

The Steps...
1. Right click on a Song (C key on keyboard to bring up the Menu), select "Information", then "Choose Art"
2. Only Choice is Thumbnail. Click on it, and given these options...

*Item folder
C:
D:
Home folder
Music

So If I click the Music folder, I can then see all my Music (from the NAS), and scroll down to the folder and select the Artist image.

You can also click "Add Art Type" and the screen comes up to Type a nameHuh Ok, so I name it Poster, and up comes a screen to select where the image is, with these choices...

*Item folder
C:
D:
Home folder
Music

So this way works as well, the problem is, there is no way to delete a messed up, or wrong entry. So if you named the Artwork Psoter instead of Poster....tough luck, no way to undo or delete. You can create a new one with the right name however.

Oh, and it gets better.

I changed the Artwork on one song, and it changed the Artwork for every song on the Album (great). But When I went to change it back, I had to do every song individually. Not sure why it didn't change them all like the first time.
To confirm, it is offering you all the drives and music sources to browse for art as requested. Artist/album info dialogs wil do the same.

(2018-03-14, 04:59)Powerhouse Wrote: ..the problem is, there is no way to delete a messed up, or wrong entry. So if you named the Artwork Psoter instead of Poster....tough luck, no way to undo or delete. You can create a new one with the right name however.
To remove an incorrect art type just select "none" as the actual art of that type of art. Once all songs have no art selected of that type, the art type will no longer be listed.

(2018-03-14, 04:59)Powerhouse Wrote: I changed the Artwork on one song, and it changed the Artwork for every song on the Album (great). But When I went to change it back, I had to do every song individually. Not sure why it didn't change them all like the first time.
I'm not sure why it changed all songs in one go either, it should be individual. I'll check that out.

Thanks for testing.
(2018-03-14, 04:59)Powerhouse Wrote: I changed the Artwork on one song, and it changed the Artwork for every song on the Album (great).
I really have not been able to repeat that myself, or even image how it could happen. Are you are that you didn't change album art instead, that would effect every song. Otherwise can you repeat it?
(2018-03-14, 10:27)DaveBlake Wrote: 1. To confirm, it is offering you all the drives and music sources to browse for art as requested. Artist/album info dialogs wil do the same.
(2018-03-14, 04:59)Powerhouse Wrote: ..the problem is, there is no way to delete a messed up, or wrong entry. So if you named the Artwork Psoter instead of Poster....tough luck, no way to undo or delete. You can create a new one with the right name however.
2. To remove an incorrect art type just select "none" as the actual art of that type of art. Once all songs have no art selected of that type, the art type will no longer be listed.
(2018-03-14, 04:59)Powerhouse Wrote: I changed the Artwork on one song, and it changed the Artwork for every song on the Album (great). But When I went to change it back, I had to do every song individually. Not sure why it didn't change them all like the first time.
I'm not sure why it changed all songs in one go either, it should be individual. I'll check that out.

Thanks for testing. 
1. While it did bring up the Music folder (that is located on my NAS), it did not offer Network drives (SMB or NSF). But for me, just being able to access my Music folder (again on my NAS) works.
2. Where is "None", the options brought up by the dialog, after typing in a Name were the following...
*Item folder
C:
D:
Home folder
Music
and the Ok and Cancel buttons on the right side.

I actually didn't select any art, and now there are two options, one is "Thumbnail" which has a picture, the other is for "Poster" and is blank.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No SMB searching for Music Artwork in Kodi 17.6, but what about 18?0