LibreELEC: Raspberry Pi Zero W?
I'm interested in using the Pi Zero W as a (temporary) in-car entertainment system. It would be connected to a 12V cigarette adapter and HDMI splitter connected to two portable DVD players.

Is this a suitable task for the Pi Zero? I also have a Pi3, but finding reliable 2.5A in-car power supply is a challenge.

Basic Setup: 12V DC to 5V DC Adapter > Pi Zero W > HDMI Splitter > (2) 10.1" Portable DVD Players

Any input much appreciated, thanks.
For the simpler tasks in Kodi/LibreELEC (music, low-res video), a 2 Amp power supply should be enough as well.

I never tested a dual monitor setup with a Raspberry Pi though.
(2018-03-16, 19:50)Klojum Wrote: I never tested a dual monitor setup with a Raspberry Pi though.

Not really a “true” dual monitor setup, just outputting one HDMI signal from the Pi Zero that I am splitting using a separate piece of hardware (HDMI splitter).
I understand you are using a splitter, I'm just thinking that more than one HDMI monitor on a single HDMI output might 'cause troubles'. Smile
Sounds to me like you are trying to entertain two children. If that is correct, consider using 2 cheap tablets with Kodi and share the videos over UPnP from the Pi. You can use the Pi as a router so you will only need the Pi and the 2 tablets. Each person can choose they own shows. Works for me. Thought I would share.

Cheers,
Long Man
(2018-03-16, 21:25)Klojum Wrote: I understand you are using a splitter, I'm just thinking that more than one HDMI monitor on a single HDMI output might 'cause troubles'. Smile
This is the splitter I'm looking at, hopefully using an active 5V splitter instead of a passive will help:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT12OQA/
(2018-03-16, 22:57)LongMan Wrote: Sounds to me like you are trying to entertain two children. If that is correct, consider using 2 cheap tablets with Kodi and share the videos over UPnP from the Pi. You can use the Pi as a router so you will only need the Pi and the 2 tablets. Each person can choose they own shows. Works for me. Thought I would share.

Cheers,
Long Man
Correct! Tablets are also a great idea, for now I'm using headrest mounted screens and sending audio to the car speakers. When kids are older I could add another Pi Zero to the second screen and let them both UPnP from a Rpi3?
If the splitter does what it should then Kodi/Pi won't even know it's present.
The only signals that are inputs on HDMI are hotplug, EDID and CEC.
Presumably hotplug and EDID will just be connected to the first monitor. as long as both monitors support the same resolution all will be good.
I suspect CEC isn't supported (or just connected to first input).
I don't expect any problems.
(2018-03-16, 23:15)popcornmix Wrote: If the splitter does what it should then Kodi/Pi won't even know it's present.
The only signals that are inputs on HDMI are hotplug, EDID and CEC.
Presumably hotplug and EDID will just be connected to the first monitor. as long as both monitors support the same resolution all will be good.
I suspect CEC isn't supported (or just connected to first input).
I don't expect any problems.
Will report back once I get everything up and running, here is a basic layout drawing of the setup:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/downl...p?id=21950
Boot time will be slower than the RPi3 (how patient are the kids?). Sd card corruption on power loss is something to keep in mind if you are just shutting off the power.
(2018-03-16, 23:20)doug Wrote: Boot time will be slower than the RPi3 (how patient are the kids?). Sd card corruption on power loss is something to keep in mind if you are just shutting off the power.
 Slower boot time should be manageable, but any idea how much slower? Also, would there be any difference once Kodi is up and running on a Zero vs RPi3 in terms of performance?

Edit: Good point about the SD card corruption without a UPS for the Pi. I’m looking into configuring the SD card for read only access, and also having a backup image of the card on hand.
I only have an RPi2 so can't comment specifically on the Zero. However, I did notice overclocking improves boot times. A good SD card is important.

LibreELEC's kernel and system are read only. It's cutting the power during SD card writing such as to Kodi's database and logging that can cause corruption. Disable logging and keep a backup of your card.
(2018-03-17, 04:59)doug Wrote: It's cutting the power during SD card writing such as to Kodi's database and logging that can cause corruption. Disable logging and keep a backup of your card.
This seems much more straightforward than some of the tutorials I've seen for how to change the RPi's SD card to a read only file system.

To disable logging just System Settings > Logging and disable all options? Is it that simple? Also is there any way to prevent Kodi writing to the database?
Logging will still occur with that.

Use the advancedsettings.xml file:
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>-1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

That will reduce Kodi logging to occur only at start until that but of code is read, then Kodi logging stops.

Database functionality is integral to Kodi. Unless you are a developer and can modify the relevant code, I think you're out of luck. But I've been turning off my ignition/killing the power for years now and haven't had corruption issues yet. Did I mention to have a backup or duplicate card? Smile

Edit: Fixed my typo on the settings which Klojum points out later.
(2018-03-17, 05:43)doug Wrote: I've been turning off my ignition/killing the power for years now and haven't had corruption issues yet. Did I mention to have a backup or duplicate card?

Thanks for the instructions on how to disable logging. Also I’d be interested to hear details about your in-vehicle setup?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreELEC: Raspberry Pi Zero W?0