• 16(current)
Android MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)
(2018-03-14, 08:56)atilaks Wrote: Yes, the problem is visually noticeable for me for the whole time. Doesn't matter whether I start watching 3mins or just before the test scene. My eyes do not register stuttering for every subtitle line. It usually happens in some, but always the same scenes, usually with some movements. Maybe I am just more sensitive to it now, when I know it is there Smile

I tried on both LG Oled 4k and an old Sony FHD TV with the same results. I usually switch all motion processing off.

Playback on C2 or with playerdebug enabled is super smooth.
 Same issue here using a Minix U9 with LE 8.9.4.0 Sad
I've tagged you in a thread in the LE forum here: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/10699-...3574#wcf56
@MichelLoyen 
Thanks, I will follow LE forum's thread. I am really looking forward to see if this can be fixed somehow.

@wrxtasy 
I did some experiments. I restored android (thanks for the guide) and I did a fresh install of your latest chroma 422.10 build. I did overclock GPU (current freq is 792).

Playing 1080p 23.976p with embedded (mkv) subtitles with adjust refreshrate disabled. Here are my findings:
- there is stuttering on subtitles show/hide in some scenes when display mode is set to 1080/24, 1080/23.98, hw decode is enabled and playerdebug is not shown (disabled)
- there is NO stuttering when display mode is set to 1080/24, 1080/23.98 and hw decode is disabled
- there is NO stuttering when display mode is set to 1080/24, 1080/23.98 and playerdebug is enabled
- there is NO stuttering when display mode is set to 1080/60, 1080/59.98, 1080/50, 1080/30, 1080/29.98
Just got a Minix U9-H but haven't had much time to play with it (upgraded firmware then tried to add an SMB video source and just got the dreaded "operation not permitted" error, so need to debug that). I know one option is to set up a dual boot with LibreELEC and run Kodi on that, but what are the pros and cons of doing this over using the stock Android installation? Presumably I'd lose things like access to things like Netflix (which has an official Android app)? I'm not sure what benefits there would be.
(2018-03-23, 11:40)DragonQ Wrote: Just got a Minix U9-H but haven't had much time to play with it (upgraded firmware then tried to add an SMB video source and just got the dreaded "operation not permitted" error, so need to debug that). I know one option is to set up a dual boot with LibreELEC and run Kodi on that, but what are the pros and cons of doing this over using the stock Android installation? Presumably I'd lose things like access to things like Netflix (which has an official Android app)? I'm not sure what benefits there would be.
Main beneficts are better HDR video playback and stability.

The downside, at least for me, is that you loose some apps that you might want to run besides using this box for kodi.

As it has dual boot, you can just disconnect the sdcard and it will boot to android just fine Smile
Image Image
Kodi 17.x works ok - the only issue I found is sometimes the player goes crazy after skipping/jumping (if you press "up") - slideshow instead of video, and the current position is showed as 0 as if it was playing beginning of the file. But this issue happens not very often and easily mitigated with a new skip or stop/play.
It's funny how situation with AFR developed. Before (about 1 year ago) it was all about running Kodi 16.x and avoiding Kodi 17.x. Now AFR works stable in 17.6, but the only way to enable AFR in SPMC 16.x I found was to use HDMI Adaptation level 2. And even with Level 2 enabled, AFR only works until you skip/jump, then it resets to the default frame rate. I have tested all possible configurations with SPMC, so it's not an option anymore. And Koying resigning from maintainer position just hits the nail in the coffin of SPMC
(2018-03-23, 13:11)redglory Wrote: As it has dual boot, you can just disconnect the sdcard and it will boot to android just fine
You don't even need to take out the sdcard just set a button for System.ExecWait("/usr/sbin/rebootfromnand") it'll boot to android then when you reboot again it starts with LibreElec, that's how its been working for me
(2018-03-23, 14:11)komplex Wrote:
(2018-03-23, 13:11)redglory Wrote: As it has dual boot, you can just disconnect the sdcard and it will boot to android just fine
You don't even need to take out the sdcard just set a button for System.ExecWait("/usr/sbin/rebootfromnand") it'll boot to android then when you reboot again it starts with LibreElec, that's how its been working for me 
Thanks! I knew there should be an easier way Smile
Image Image
(2018-03-23, 13:11)redglory Wrote: As it has dual boot, you can just disconnect the sdcard and it will boot to android just fine Smile
That is not even needed, using the standard Estuary Skin - simply go into LE Kodi's Power Menu and select "Reboot from Internal" to reboot to internal Android Marshmallow.

Reboot Android with the SD card still inserted and you are back in LibreELEC.

@DragonQ thanks for posting in the correct thread Wink

Advantages with AMLogic LibreELEC Kodi Krypton vs Android Kodi Krypton on the same hardware:
  • It's faster.
  • Firmware and Kodi updates are simply drag and drop and reboot. Sometimes this is automatic as well.
  • Better HD audio passthrough compatibility with AVR's and Soundbars.
  • Comprehensive user configuration for HDMI CEC control if a AVR / TV supports it properly.
  • Auto 1080p <<--->> 4K resolution switching works. Allows you to use your 4K TV's superior 1080p > 4K upscaling hardware and only switch to a 4K resolution when actually watching 4K content. (Hint run the Kodi GUI in a 1080p resolution)
  • A lot better support for older video compression standards like VC-1 and DivX / mpeg4
  • More Kodi user options to configure exactly what you want.
  • High quality Hardware deinterlacing works for OTA TV viewing, it's broken and unreliable in all Android Kodi Krypton distributions.
  • Ability to add USB TV tuners to watch OTA TV.
  • An inbuilt SAMBA server that auto mounts all sort of Hard Drives and shares content easily over a local home network.
    You can simply drag and drop files to those directly connected hard drives from a PC / Mac.
  • And what I've added....some parts of the code thx. to the OSMC Vero crew.
  • Properly downmixing of the LFE audio effects channel if 2.0 Audio is used resulting in better audio rumble from a subwoofer 2.1 Audio setup.
  • Better support for LPCM Multichannel audio
  • Overclocking of the GPU to 792MHz for a snappier user interface - the excellent heatsink on the U9 can easily handle this.
  • Some nice, user selectable Kodi Settings > System - options for Overclocking, Deinterlacing, 4K HDR and a RGB fix for older problematic Sony / Philips TV's.
  • Downsides = some users reporting video frame upsets when Subtitles are used. Personally I've not visually seen any issues.
    EDIT: I have seen the minor video frame upset now with Subtitles showing onscreen during a long camera panning shot.
  • Also there is a 4:2:2 Chroma bug that results in green video output. Projector users beware. 4:4:4 which you use for 24p 4K HDR on a 4K TV is fine so long as you use a quality High Speed or Premium Certified HDMI 2.0a cable. (eg Amazon Basics / Monoprice)

Here is a sneak peak of S912 LE 8.2.4 that I will properly release on the LE forums tomorrow:

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4-Chroma.444.img.gz (click)

W.

Thanks for the advice everyone, will take that into account and have a play at the weekend. I think the first thing I'll do is move my current Kodi database from my HTPC to my file server so that I can use the same database for both my HTPC and the Minix U9-H. After that I'll probably have a play with LibreElec.

Anything to do with 4K or HDR isn't going to be relevant (for now) with this unit but proper deinterlacing support is definitely a must since all UK HDTV is 1080i/25, so that's a reason to go with LibreElec. I've been reading about the subtitle stutter bug, I'm hoping it gets fixed fairly soon since it's been identified that having a permanent debug overlay eliminates the bug. Not a huge deal though for me, certainly not compared to interlaced content support.

@wrxtasy No problem, I knew there was a dedicated thread cos I saw it the other day but couldn't find it again when posting for some reason.
Turns out I already had a centralised database on my server so thanks past me! I had some trouble getting Kodi on the U9-H to see the files though: every film or TV episode I clicked on just said "the file no longer exists, delete from library?" or something to that effect. The solution was to copy my sources.xml from my HTPC in addition to the advancedsettings.xml file. I dunno if it's worth updating the wiki instructions to include this or whether it's not normally necessary?

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get it to switch to 23.976 Hz output for relevant content. I haven't delved into the settings though so automatic refresh rate switching might just not be turned on by default. Hoping to play with LibreElec once I find my spare SD card...
S912 LE Kodi Krypton Refresh switching is enabled and set to Start/Stop by default. It should work out of the box.

(2018-03-24, 14:31)wrxtasy Wrote: S912 LE Kodi Krypton Refresh switching is enabled and set to Start/Stop by default. It should work out of the box.
I've tried this but my TV switches with overscan. I have a Sony Bravia 40v3000.

EDIT: Changed "screen area" setting to Full Pixel and everything is displayed as expected with auto switch Smile
Image Image
(2018-03-24, 14:31)wrxtasy Wrote: S912 LE Kodi Krypton Refresh switching is enabled and set to Start/Stop by default. It should work out of the box.
Hmm well I tried just playing a film and it didn't switch from the default 60 Hz. Also, the version of Kodi I have is 17.3, is that the latest for Android? I checked for updates but there were none.

EDIT: The option to dynamically switch refresh rates wasn't enabled but I've turned that on and it's fine now. Tried a 4K HEVC HDR file and it played fine, except the HDR -> SDR conversion was a bit washed out. I understand this will be better under LibreElec though.
I've tried installing LibreELEC onto my Minix U9-H twice now and had no luck. I'm trying version 8.2.2.3 for S912 with the U9 specific device tree. The first time I tried, it got to the Kodi setup screen where it asked for a hostname. I entered one, pressed Next, and then got an empty box with another Next button. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the box to go away so had to unplug the power cable. The second time I tried, I reflashed the SD card, booted from it, then it did all of its partitioning stuff and rebooted. However, I got no output to my TV. After 3 or 4 minutes I gave up waiting and unplugged it again. Trying to boot after this led to a screen saying the file system had possible corruption.

Kinda seems like the SD card might be corrupted, but it's been used in a GoPro for a year without any issues so I don't know why that'd be the case. I'll try to find another one.
I just ordered my Minix NEO U9-H. There are too much information out there. To start, I have no SD card, do I have to buy an SD card?

I want to install LibreELEC and replace the android. Can I do that with a USB key and install LibreELEC to the internal 16GB eMMC with no SD card?
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)6