• 11(current)
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware
I was very close to purchase a MINIX U9-H but stopped after reading these forums. I use external srt subtitles and if they cause the video to stutter, it's a big no for me.

Is this true? If you have external srt subtitles, it stutters?
Quote:- Very subtle, occasional video frame upsets when subtitles are displayed onscreen during long camera panning scenes. I had to look really really hard to even notice this. It really does not bother me too much personally and I never see it all the time.
Occasional meaning I've only ever seen a minor video glitch one time only with LE on the U9 with Subtitles. And I watch TV series & movies with Subtitles all the time, but most of that is 1080p only.
If you go looking for issues on any platform you will inevitably come up with some problem if you get the magnifying glass out and test that crap out of anything.

Another example is the Vero 4K. That is currently dealing with a 10bit color banding issue due to a AML bug in the S905X part of the AML Linux Kernel. Which should be fixed shortly by AMLogic themselves.
The Shield has no auto colorspace switching for mixed SDR / HDR usage and broken 10bit video output if refresh switching to 24p.

So pick your poison. Wink

Here is example of video stuttering with on and off subtitles on S912 (hardware decoding)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr23K0zR0ps
But everything is ok with 1080P software decoding.
What about 4K HDR?
With HW decoding 4k video is stuttering, s912 is to slow for SW decode 4k h265

edit:
 I`ve found interesting thing. Video stutters only in some moviesIt looks like the problem is only with UTF8 subtitles internal/external srt? with internal PGS its OK. tested with 8 movies.
(2018-03-30, 18:51)wrxtasy Wrote: If you go looking for issues on any platform you will inevitably come up with some problem if you get the magnifying glass out and test that crap out of anything.

Either it's there or it's not there in certain circumstances... I think describing it as 'testing the crap out of something' is a bit unfair - it's just noticing its presence...

Some people are just naturally more sensitive to some artefacts than others. I can't stand bad deinterlacing, rendering at non-native frame rates, and find even occasional frame-drops or frame-repeats intensely annoying. Others don't notice them at all. I'm not 'testing the crap' out of the stuff I watch - I just see it...
So it's a no buy for me. External SRT subtitles is a must. Any other 4K HDR hardware that can correctly play 4K HDR files with LibreELEC as OS?
Does Zidoo X9S have this subtitle problem too?
(2018-03-31, 02:15)Zodler Wrote: So it's a no buy for me. External SRT subtitles is a must. Any other 4K HDR hardware that can correctly play 4K HDR files with LibreELEC as OS?
I fixed the S912 Subtitle, video frame stuttering problem yesterday after getting a test clip from @Pinki that clearly showed the issue:

[SOLVED] Dropped frames caused by subtitle rendering (click)

W.

Bump for @Zodler's viewing pleasure, now that LE AMLogic S912 subtitles issues is fixed Wink

(2018-03-31, 02:26)Zodler Wrote: Does Zidoo X9S have this subtitle problem too?
Nope. It uses an external (native) Android Realtek player.

@wrxtasy, I tried out your updated build here as you had included the CPU speed-up, but realized after installing that it's 4:4:4, which Epson 5040UB doesn't support. Went back to your 4:2:2 v.8.2.3 build.
Great news, I will buy one immediately. I need a little help to choose. If I get a MINIX U9-H (+ LibreELEC) will I be able to customize remotes?
I want to add one key to my Harmony Remote to turn off and on subtitle. Will it be through IR or bluetooth?
Long ago I had a MINIX device and their support for Logitech Harmony and extra commands was non-existent. Only their own remote worked and it had 3-4 buttons only.

Between MINIX U9-H and Zidoo X9S. Which is better in terms of UI speed?
I have Kodi + EmbyCon addon on nVidia Shield 2017 it takes 8-10 seconds to load a "Movies In-Progress" widget.
Will it be faster with one of these hardware? Faster than nVidia Shield 2017?
Kodi devices with decent Wireless remotes will always seem snappier vs Infra Red only remotes.

The MINIX A2 lite wireless keyboard remote is one of my favourites.

Just be aware the Zidoo does not run Kodi properly natively. It relies on external media player software for 4K HDR with HD audio.

Personally I’m never a fan of any media player over complicating what should be a simple Kodi setup.

You will have to do your own research and reading regarding IR remotes. I’ve already posted such links in previous posts.

(2018-04-02, 01:42)wrxtasy Wrote: Bump for @Zodler's viewing pleasure, now that LE AMLogic S912 subtitles issues is fixed Wink
 Can we apply patch to 8.90.6 release?!

Thanks!
Image Image
Does Apple TV 4K have the no Dolby decode issue like shield, whereby if you can’t play dd plus it doesn’t extract the dd audio but rather downsamples to 2.0? At times I feel like selling off my shield and changing to Apple TV 4K and vero4k
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware5