• 69(current)
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware
So,

after playing around with the settings.. i was able to get HDR work with MPC-HC and the new release of VLC. For MPC-HC you need to have Mad-VR setup to allow passthrough of HDR to TV with exclusive full screen ticked off. the only downside here is that you have to manually toggle HDR from display settings in windows for the gamut to display properly. If you dont, the colors appear all washed out. I was able to confirm that HDR is indeed outputting by comparing results from VLC/MPC-HC to PowerDVD and a Xiaomi Mi Box that i have. Tested with a 50gb movie. Was able to passthrough DTS X and Dolby Atmos as well.. Oh and if it helps .. netflix 4k HDR is working fine too on Windows 10. Hope it helps all. thanks

P.S. i am using nuc7i3bnh with 8gb of RAM and a 60gb SSD with an external HDD connected
Can you help me please,
can you recommend any NUC which can even handle Spline36 upscaling SD to FHD? i3 is enough?
(2018-04-13, 19:52)koboltzz Wrote: Can you help me please,
can you recommend any NUC which can even handle Spline36 upscaling SD to FHD? i3 is enough?
 Asus Beebox
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2018-04-13, 21:56)movie78 Wrote: Asus Beebox 
Do you own one and did a upscaling test?
So can anyone confirm that if I get an i3 NUC (NUC7i3BNH), I will effectively be able to playback 4k@60hz HEVC files, HDR video files and HDR support through Netflix app in Windows 10, and be able to smoothly navigate through Windows 10 in 4k resolution? (I use Tablet Mode instead of desktop mode for ease of access and Windows 10 apps for just about everything, occasionally use a browser, but not to playback video).  I use Kodi here and there, but primarily will be using my HTPC for streaming and the occasional video file playback such as MKV or HEVC.  I just want to have something that can do 4k 60hz and HDR when I eventually get an LG OLED.  At that point I will upgrade my AVR to something modern and HDMI2.0, HDCP 2.2 etc.  I plan on only putting 4GB of ram in this if I can get away with it, because all I ever do is Windows 10 streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, new apps, etc. and video file playback.  DDR4 is EXPENSIVE.  Zero gaming.

If this will in fact be adequate, then can anyone confirm is there is anything else out there that can do the same for cheaper?  This NUC is $280 on Amazon right now.

Thanks!
(2018-04-16, 21:18)Dan-HTPC Wrote: So can anyone confirm that if I get an i3 NUC (NUC7i3BNH), I will effectively be able to playback 4k@60hz HEVC files, HDR video files and HDR support through Netflix app in Windows 10, and be able to smoothly navigate through Windows 10 in 4k resolution? (I use Tablet Mode instead of desktop mode for ease of access and Windows 10 apps for just about everything, occasionally use a browser, but not to playback video).  I use Kodi here and there, but primarily will be using my HTPC for streaming and the occasional video file playback such as MKV or HEVC.  I just want to have something that can do 4k 60hz and HDR when I eventually get an LG OLED.  At that point I will upgrade my AVR to something modern and HDMI2.0, HDCP 2.2 etc.  I plan on only putting 4GB of ram in this if I can get away with it, because all I ever do is Windows 10 streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, new apps, etc. and video file playback.  DDR4 is EXPENSIVE.  Zero gaming.

If this will in fact be adequate, then can anyone confirm is there is anything else out there that can do the same for cheaper?  This NUC is $280 on Amazon right now.

Thanks!
 No HDR in Linux, you can try using @brazen1 tutorial  on how use  External player with PowerDVD.
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
I won't be using Linux at all, so I won't have to worry about that.  With Windows 10 will I need to use this Power DVD software?
Only if you want to.  Any player of your choice is doable.  Not sure why movie78 renamed my guide HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players  to  [font]External player with PowerDVD.[/font] because it is much, much, much more than simply that.  I don't know if it will be cheaper for you or not?  Depends what you have or want to obtain.  I can tell you if quality is of no importance, you don't care about other formats other than UHD such as 3D or iso extensions, a big concern is to do 4k at 60Hz (?), and you mainly want to stream apps from various subscription services, a device like a Shield or an NUC is perfect for you.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-04-16, 21:18)Dan-HTPC Wrote: I just want to have something that can do 4k 60hz and HDR when I eventually get an LG OLED.  At that point I will upgrade my AVR to something modern and HDMI2.0, HDCP 2.2 etc. 
Simple question why a NUC at all just for 4K HDR and Netflix - when there are much simpler, more reliable Plug N Play solutions already on the market ?

Stay away from a device like the Shield for mixed SDR and HDR use until NVIDIA and Google sort out it's colorspace switching problems. Users should not have to put up with those sorts of issues in any 2018 media player, especially when using expensive OLED displays.

I have the Asrock Beebox( Similar to Intel NUC Kabylake) i with LibreElec Kodi Leia installed and Also Minix U9 with LibreElec Leia installed.

From testing all these devices with Kodi (LibreElec Leia) the Nvidia Sheild is the best so far.

1-Nvidia Sheild = plays everything I throw at, the color accuracy is good my QLED TV

2-Minix U9 LibreElec- Having difficulties playing ISO file from the network drive and also the picture is too dark, but I think that is an issue with LibreElec Leia because same this happens to my  Asrock Beebox( Similar as Intel NUC Kabylake )

3-Asrock Beebox( Similar to Intel NUC Kabylake ) = If you want 4K HDR, don't even consider buying this device.
Thanks for the suggestions, but regarding the Shield, I will not be going Android for my home theater.  I don't want to be locked down to Android, the the Google Play Store, and overall lack of broad app support for Android TV.  I don't like the android interface on my Galaxy S7 as it is.  I have other specific reasons for being Windows only, and will not change my mind lol.

movie78, could you explain why you said to not even consider the Beebox if you want 4k and HDR?

Thanks!
(2018-04-18, 18:10)Dan-HTPC Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions, but regarding the Shield, I will not be going Android for my home theater.  I don't want to be locked down to Android, the the Google Play Store, and overall lack of broad app support for Android TV.  I don't like the android interface on my Galaxy S7 as it is.  I have other specific reasons for being Windows only, and will not change my mind lol.

movie78, could you explain why you said to not even consider the Beebox if you want 4k and HDR?

Thanks!
Now I understand, if you are going with the Windows route the AsRock Beebox kabyLake (similar to Intel Nuc) should be fine, but you have to put extra work for it to work right, I was waiting for LibreElec (Kodi) to release support for HDR on the Intel X86 Generic platform but it doesn't look like it will be happening anytime soon.
That's is why I decided to sell my AsRock Beebox on eBay.

As @brazen1 stated its much easier on Windows but based on experience I will not be using Kodi on Windows only reason why i was using windows was for @afedchin 3DMVC build.

Too much headache
(2018-04-18, 19:29)movie78 Wrote:
(2018-04-18, 18:10)Dan-HTPC Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions, but regarding the Shield, I will not be going Android for my home theater.  I don't want to be locked down to Android, the the Google Play Store, and overall lack of broad app support for Android TV.  I don't like the android interface on my Galaxy S7 as it is.  I have other specific reasons for being Windows only, and will not change my mind lol.

Thanks!
Now I understand, if you are going with the Windows route the AsRock Beebox kabyLake (similar to Intel Nuc) should be fine, but you have to put extra work for it to work right, I was waiting for LibreElec (Kodi) to release support for HDR on the Intel X86 Generic platform but it doesn't look like it will be happening anytime soon.

As @brazen1 stated its much easier on Windows but based on experience I will not be using Kodi on Windows only reason why i was using windows was for @afedchin 3DMVC build.

Too much headache 
I see your listing on eBay.  What is the fan noise like on this thing? And how is the remote?  I could possibly use it to teach my Logitech Harmony 650 and use just one remote.  Are you selling the RAM?  I might not be able to buy it off you anyway though, considering that I have Christmas and birthday Amazon gift cards that I want to use towards an HTPC.  That's how long I've been waiting for Gemini Lake and that's why I was utterly disappointed when I found out Intel doesn't support HDR on them.
(2018-04-18, 21:48)Dan-HTPC Wrote:
(2018-04-18, 19:29)movie78 Wrote:

Thanks!

Too much headache  
I see your listing on eBay.  What is the fan noise like on this thing? And how is the remote?  I could possibly use it to teach my Logitech Harmony 650 and use just one remote.  Are you selling the RAM?  I might not be able to buy it off you anyway though, considering that I have Christmas and birthday Amazon gift cards that I want to use towards an HTPC.  That's how long I've been waiting for Gemini Lake and that's why I was utterly disappointed when I found out Intel doesn't support HDR on them. 
PM Sent...
I don't think I have enough posts to respond to PM's!!

I did get your PM.  Your offer is great, but I ultimately decided I should use my Amazon gift cards and buy something new.  Should've asked for eBay gift cards apparently lol.  Good luck with the sale
  • 69(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware3