• 207(current)
v18 LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)
(2018-04-12, 21:34)_Spook_ Wrote: Quick question, what's the reason for the stop in using new kernels?

After the Spectre/Meltdown problems LibreELEC took the decision to focus on releasing "Long Term Support" (LTS) kernels only, which means that LE9 will be based on 4.14.y (the current LTS kernel) regardless of whatever stable or mainline kernel may be available at the time. LE10 will bump to the next LTS kernel, which is likely to be 4.19.y, or possibly 4.20.y.

Bringing up new major kernels (4.15.y, 4.16.y, 4.17.y etc.) is often a lot of work as so many out of tree drivers usually end up broken by the new kernel and require patching (for example, Realtek Wifi drivers, plus Nvidia drivers etc.).

Since these non-LTS kernels are never going to be released by LibreELEC, then from my point of view there's no longer any point doing all the monkey work to bring up a kernel that is basically being tested only for the sake of testing and will never be released.

Sticking with LTS-only kernels simplifies maintenance and lowers the risk of problems in a new release, but totally screws support for new hardware (eg. AMD GPUs, Intel CPUs etc.) which is unfortunate, with upstream projects losing out as well. It's a decision that has definite pros and cons.

Maybe this decision will change in future but for now it's out of my hands. I can see both sides so I'm not pushing one way or the other, but I have to say the current situation does make my life much easier and going back to the old way isn't something I'd now do readily.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Anyone wondering why there's not been any builds recently - LIRC is broken on Kodi master, so there's no point until that is fixed.

Having a break from building is quite pleasant, I'm just hoping I don't get too used to it... ;-)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2018-04-13, 14:56)Milhouse Wrote: Anyone wondering why there's not been any builds recently - LIRC is broken on Kodi master, so there's no point until that is fixed.

Having a break from building is quite pleasant, I'm just hoping I don't get too used to it... ;-)
"You can sleep when you're dead!" -Captain Barbosa Pirates of the Caribbean 4
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
(2018-04-13, 14:56)Milhouse Wrote: [...] I'm just hoping I don't get too used to it... ;-)

Thanks for falling asleep with a nightmare today.....
NVIDIA Shield, H270M-Plus (i3-7100),NUC7i3BNH,WeTekHub,Pi2,Win10Server.
(2018-04-13, 14:54)Milhouse Wrote:
(2018-04-12, 21:34)_Spook_ Wrote: Quick question, what's the reason for the stop in using new kernels?

After the Spectre/Meltdown problems LibreELEC took the decision to focus on releasing "Long Term Support" (LTS) kernels only, which means that LE9 will be based on 4.14.y (the current LTS kernel) regardless of whatever stable or mainline kernel may be available at the time. LE10 will bump to the next LTS kernel, which is likely to be 4.19.y, or possibly 4.20.y.

Bringing up new major kernels (4.15.y, 4.16.y, 4.17.y etc.) is often a lot of work as so many out of tree drivers usually end up broken by the new kernel and require patching (for example, Realtek Wifi drivers, plus Nvidia drivers etc.).

Since these non-LTS kernels are never going to be released by LibreELEC, then from my point of view there's no longer any point doing all the monkey work to bring up a kernel that is basically being tested only for the sake of testing and will never be released.

Sticking with LTS-only kernels simplifies maintenance and lowers the risk of problems in a new release, but totally screws support for new hardware (eg. AMD GPUs, Intel CPUs etc.) which is unfortunate, with upstream projects losing out as well. It's a decision that has definite pros and cons.

Maybe this decision will change in future but for now it's out of my hands. I can see both sides so I'm not pushing one way or the other, but I have to say the current situation does make my life much easier and going back to the old way isn't something I'd now do readily.
I understand. Thanks for the summary. I left Kodi for the moment anyways. Will be back when 4K HDR etc. is good. But keep up the great work! Smile
AppleTV 4K, LG 65E6 OLED TV, Marantz NR1606, Harmony Elite
Milhouse - hi Milhouse, from build 0404 and higher does not work auto refresh rate switch according to video source - i mean, if the source video is 23,976, TV does not switch to 24Hz and is still on default refresh rate (60Hz). Until 0403, included 0403 it works just fine. NUC Kabylake...
Milhouse - Sorry, i missed previous post about refresh rate problem, i am sorry.

"Note that for Refresh Rate switching in #0404 and later, it is now necessary to configure the resolutions you want Kodi to use (by default, it won't use any thus no refresh rate switching).

In Settings > Display > Whitelist select the resolutions your TV supports (or you prefer) and then click OK."
(2018-04-14, 01:18)_Spook_ Wrote:
(2018-04-13, 14:54)Milhouse Wrote:

I understand. Thanks for the summary. I left Kodi for the moment anyways. Will be back when 4K HDR etc. is good. But keep up the great work! Smile 
 Yeah - contributing would be too hard ... waiting until others invested their freetime is much easier to do ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-04-14, 07:59)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-04-14, 01:18)_Spook_ Wrote:
(2018-04-13, 14:54)Milhouse Wrote: After the Spectre/Meltdown problems LibreELEC took the decision to focus on releasing "Long Term Support" (LTS) kernels only, which means that LE9 will be based on 4.14.y (the current LTS kernel) regardless of whatever stable or mainline kernel may be available at the time. LE10 will bump to the next LTS kernel, which is likely to be 4.19.y, or possibly 4.20.y.

Yeah - contributing would be too hard ... waiting until others invested their freetime is much easier to do ... 
Things happen in life that makes you have to change priorities. You don't know me, so keep the critic for you self please.
(2018-04-14, 12:57)_Spook_ Wrote:
(2018-04-14, 07:59)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-04-14, 01:18)_Spook_ Wrote: I understand. Thanks for the summary. I left Kodi for the moment anyways. Will be back when 4K HDR etc. is good. But keep up the great work! Smile  
Things happen in life that makes you have to change priorities. You don't know me, so keep the critic for you self please. 
 I am as free to speak in here as you are as what I have written is true in general.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-04-14, 13:00)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-04-14, 12:57)_Spook_ Wrote:
(2018-04-14, 07:59)fritsch Wrote:  Yeah - contributing would be too hard ... waiting until others invested their freetime is much easier to do ...  
 I am as free to speak in here as you are as what I have written is true in general.  
Of course you are. But don't critic individuals then. You can critic in general as much as you want. But don't quote me and say it's in general.

So keep your critic for your selfs. My daughter died and I don't have time to duches like you! Now keep your mouth shut please.
(2018-04-14, 13:06)_Spook_ Wrote:
(2018-04-14, 13:00)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-04-14, 12:57)_Spook_ Wrote: Things happen in life that makes you have to change priorities. You don't know me, so keep the critic for you self please.  
Of course you are. But don't critic individuals then. You can critic in general as much as you want. But don't quote me and say it's in general.

So keep your fucking critic for your selfs. My daughter died and I don't have time to fucking duches like you! Now keep your fucking mouth shut!!!! 
I am really sorry for that.
Hi. I was away from builds testing for some time now. I want to know, if anyone is using Hyperion ambilight on latest builds because since nov. 2017 it was broken because of new implementation in Kodi.
TNX
(2018-04-14, 13:06)_Spook_ Wrote: So keep your critic for your selfs. My daughter died and I don't have time to duches like you! Now keep your mouth shut please.

My sincere condolences, _Spook_. Sad

OK everyone, happy thoughts... I might even have a new build tonight!
(2018-04-15, 06:20)illiac4 Wrote: Hi. I was away from builds testing for some time now. I want to know, if anyone is using Hyperion ambilight on latest builds because since nov. 2017 it was broken because of new implementation in Kodi.
TNX

Yes: https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion/issues/770 (I see you've already found it)

As per the comment from @Razzeee, there are additional Kodi notifications that Hyperion could now use.
  • 207(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)24