Disc Set Artwork Improvements
While looking at an artist/album local art bug, I have made some baby steps towards better disc set support Smile

Work is in PR13769 a Win64 test builds availlable 20180415-bc197eda-PR13769 (OSX also on the mirrors, ask for any other platform). Testing and feedback on this thread or on Github are welcome.

What to test? The scanning (from fresh and lib update) into the library of albums that are spread across multiple folders, and have local art files.

Testing doing it with "fetch additional info on update" enabled/disabled. Nice to check what happens with artist art too, either in with music or in the Artist Information Folder (using that feature yet?), particularly if the artist only has one album and it is a disc set. Try out adding local art (to the folder) for an artist that the scraper does not recognise, and then "refresh"...

Too much detail ? Basically if enough of you point it at your music collections it should shake out any silliness on my part.

The bug I have fixed is discussed here, wrong artist and album art being picked up. 
How disc set art is now handled is probably best discribed with examples.

1) Local disc set cover art
Say you had this folder/file layout (actual names of folders is irrelevent, it is the content that counts):

artist/
    artist/folder.jpg   <------ artist art
artist/album/
    artist/album/folder.jpg  <-------album art
    artist/album/CD1
            artist/album/CD1/folder.jpg <-------Part1 cover art
            artist/album/CD1/track01.mp3
    artist/album/CD2
            artist/album/CD2/folder.jpg   <-------Part3 cover art
            artist/album/CD2/track01.mp3
    artist/album/CD3
            artist/album/CD3/folder.jpg   <-------Part3 cover art
            artist/album/CD3/track01.mp3

Kodi now uses the art in the disc subfolders properly. Providing that all the music files in a subfolder are tagged with the same DISCNUMBER/TPOS, they all have the same embedded art (or none), and same album of course, then art from that subfolder will be used as the thumb when those songs are listed or played.

2). No disc subfolder art files
However what about when there aren't any disc subfolder art files?
artist/
artist/album/
    artist/album/CD1
            artist/album/CD1/track01.mp3 <-------Art1 embedded in all disc1 files
    artist/album/CD2
            artist/album/CD2/track01.mp3 <-------Art2 embedded in all disc2 files
    artist/album/CD3
            artist/album/CD3/track01.mp3 <-------Art3 embedded in all disc3 files

Art1, Art2 and Art3 respectively will be shown when songs are listed, or when played. It does not fallback to the album art, and Kodi does not have a way to know when art1 = art2 = art3 (folders are processed separately, and that is the point when it has the embedded data to compare).

3) Embedded art varies within a disc
As usual variations in embedded art mean that Kodi uses it in preference to any local disc subfolder or album art. I am looking to add an option to "only use embedded art as a last resort", that should help those users that have inconsistent low res art embedded in their music files yet (because it varies within an album) Kodi keeps showing it during playback rather than the nice album covers they have downloaded.

Remember actual names of folders is irrelevent, it is the content and tagging that counts!!
(2018-04-16, 10:20)DaveBlake Wrote: 1) Local disc art
Say you had this folder/file layout (actual names of folders is irrelevent, it is the content that counts):

artist/
artist/album/
    artist/album/CD1
            artist/album/CD1/folder.jpg <-------Disc1 art
            artist/album/CD1/track01.mp3
    artist/album/CD2
            artist/album/CD2/folder.jpg   <-------Disk2 art
            artist/album/CD2/track01.mp3
    artist/album/CD3
            artist/album/CD3/folder.jpg   <-------Disk3 art
            artist/album/CD3/track01.mp3
Dave is this changes have new rule....folder.jpg for disc......I dont like this

Is this typo, you mean this...
disc.png

In mine mod I already include Art from AB and SHS.
AB working in song level (not need but that is question for @rmrector)

SHS Work in Album level and that is ok
XBoxMediaCenter (Kodi Matrix ) 19.3 , AndroidBox -Matrix Skin AeonMQ6
(2018-04-16, 17:45)Angelinas Wrote: Dave is this changes have new rule....folder.jpg for disc......I dont like this

Is this typo, you mean this...
disc.png
Actually I really do mean folder.jpg (or whatever names you added added as <musicthumbs>  in advancedsettings.xml).

Nothing that SHS currently does with disc.png will be changed (although there should be a movement from using certain aspects of SHS to core Kodi features, as core Kodi does more). You and I often get confused because I only know and talk core functions, while you work heavily with SHS. Kodi doesn't know about disc.png files.

The confusion is between "disc art" meaning the round CD images, and "disc (subfolder) art" meaning the cover thumbs that larger boxed sets of music (that still are one release at Musicbrainz and hence an album) could have for each part of the set (in addition to round CD images). I will edit my first post to try and be clearer.
One of the outstanding requests for yet more art handling impovements is for core Kodi to automatically fetch local art of additional kinds to thumbs and fanart (for artists). That is pick up the disc.png, clearlogo.png  etc. located in the appropiate folder without the help of an addon.

All I can say is that I am aware of that request, but that this disc set handling change is not about that.

What is it about? If you previously had <musicthumbs> named files e.g. folder.jpg, alongside music files in subfolders below the album folder then they did get found and used, but used wrongly. Fixing that is the baby step I am making.
Dave,

after a very quick test it seems to work perfectly

As I expected I had to re-scan the album into the library

I have tested a 5 cd set which has different artwork for each CD and it now displays the correct artwork when playing 

the discs are numbered as 1/5, 2/5 etc

I will now rescan entire library and see if it throws up any other issues

thanks for this

Tim
Thanks for feedback @tkgafs . Anyone else tested this even without disc sets? I am reluctant to merge without more testing - messing with the scanning process is significant. But any further work will be delayed until it is merged.
Is this in the regular nightlies? I'm on 21/04. I don't use sub-folders for different discs but I do scan runs with new nightlies. Haven't noticed any breakage.
Thanks for your interest @HeresJohnny, but no it is not in the nightlies that is the point,  the nightlies only include merged pull requests. I like to do some testing before merging, I know some devs just throw their work into the nightlies and be dammed, but the rest of us aim to avoid breaking the nightly build whenever possible. See first post for a test build.
(2018-04-22, 11:50)DaveBlake Wrote: Thanks for feedback @tkgafs . Anyone else tested this even without disc sets? I am reluctant to merge without more testing - messing with the scanning process is significant. But any further work will be delayed until it is merged.
 The scan of the full library does not seem to have caused any other issues as far as I can tell so far, certainly nothing obvious
Hi @DaveBlake

I have tested your PR above. I tested on a library with 902 Artists, 306 Albums and 1985 Songs.

As far as I could see, all artwork loaded correctly for all albums and artists.

I had only two albums which were split into separate CD's. I added individual artwork for these and the scanner correctly applied the artwork.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for testing and positive feedback guys, this PR has now merged and the functionality will be in the next nightly. Onwards!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disc Set Artwork Improvements0