Minix NEO U1: what is the path forward?
Question 
I have a Minix NEO U1 (based on AMLogic S905) and it works as well with the manufacturer-supplied Android 5.1.1 (build U1 FW01320170629) and xmbc 16.3-0 (Git:2016-09-10-33731b5-dirty) as can be expected. However, these are rather old software versions, and as I've read here and tried myself, unless Minix decides to upgrade the Android to a newer version (unlikely) I won't be able to use newer Kodi versions without serious stuttering issues. Kodi is the main thing I use the device for, I could really do without the Android layer.

I'd prefer not to make Kodi my main hobby, but I'm willing to put in a bit of effort to make my system work well.

What is your recommendation: get some newer software, like use LibreELEC 8.2 for S905/S905X (however no longer supported?!), give up and get newer hardware (what?), or do something else?
LibreELEC will continue to be supported by community releases. That 8.2.3.1 release is perfectly fine.
There will be stable Krypton updates to LE 8.2.5 when dev's get some spare time Wink

The other option is to use a custom Marshmallow ROM on the U1, which is found HERE (click)

@JJ-KwiK knows what he is doing.

If you do not need HDR, the U1 is really capable hardware, especially when running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.
And it's really easy to install on the U1:

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options (click):

The MINIX U1 / U9 have the best thermal cooling vs all of the AMLogic S9xx boxes.

Smile 
(2018-04-25, 11:36)wrxtasy Wrote: LibreELEC will continue to be supported by community releases. That 8.2.3.1 release is perfectly fine.
There will be stable Krypton updates to LE 8.2.5 when dev's get some spare time Wink
I've now quickly tried LibreELEC, and it seems to be pretty good. No video playback stuttering, some add-ons working that didn't properly work with earlier versions. Of course there are some small things to work out like CEC commands and such, but overall I'm quite satisfied.
(2018-04-30, 01:25)ExTechOp Wrote: I've now quickly tried LibreELEC, and it seems to be pretty good. No video playback stuttering, some add-ons working that didn't properly work with earlier versions. Of course there are some small things to work out like CEC commands and such, but overall I'm quite satisfied.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but my question is relevant. I've been successfully running Krypton and am thinking of upgrading to Leia. I am however unsure if on a Minix NEO U1 one can go for LibreELEC (couldn't find info on how, the threads run hundreds of pages long?) or does one need CoreELEC 9.0.2? Can someone advise?
(2019-06-25, 23:30)ExTechOp Wrote:
(2018-04-30, 01:25)ExTechOp Wrote: I've now quickly tried LibreELEC, and it seems to be pretty good. No video playback stuttering, some add-ons working that didn't properly work with earlier versions. Of course there are some small things to work out like CEC commands and such, but overall I'm quite satisfied.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but my question is relevant. I've been successfully running Krypton and am thinking of upgrading to Leia. I am however unsure if on a Minix NEO U1 one can go for LibreELEC (couldn't find info on how, the threads run hundreds of pages long?) or does one need CoreELEC 9.0.2? Can someone advise?

Use CoreELEC, it's fully optimised for AMLogic hardware and Kodi Leia. You won't find better for Leia on AML hardware:

(2019-06-26, 06:02)wrxtasy Wrote: Use CoreELEC, it's fully optimised for AMLogic hardware and Kodi Leia. You won't find better for Leia on AML hardware:  
I followed your suggestion, and everything works fine (including viewing from other devices, like the ChromeOS laptop). Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix NEO U1: what is the path forward?0